A/c Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM

A/c Rebuild

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm curious where to find parts for the air conditioning system on my 74 delta 88. I just purchased the car, an all original 55,000 mile beauty, but the ac doesn't work. All of the functional componets are there, but I'm thinking I should replace all of the seals atleast. I also know the clutch on the compressor is messed up. I forced the compressor on and it made a lot of noise like a bad bearing on the clutch side. Also does anyone know of a place online to find an overall diagram of the gm a/c systems from this era? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by 74-OLDS-88
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm curious where to find parts for the air conditioning system on my 74 delta 88. I just purchased the car, an all original 55,000 mile beauty, but the ac doesn't work. All of the functional componets are there, but I'm thinking I should replace all of the seals atleast. I also know the clutch on the compressor is messed up. I forced the compressor on and it made a lot of noise like a bad bearing on the clutch side. Also does anyone know of a place online to find an overall diagram of the gm a/c systems from this era? Any help is greatly appreciated.
The best place to start is http://www.autoacforum.com/
It sounds like the compressor is locked up. It's likely the system has been "down" for quite a long time. It will probably take some time and a good few $$ to make it servicable again. Those old GM POA AC systems were almost bulletproof, so if the compressor dies, the system itself needs lots of work.