1982-85 Delta 88 Rear Coil Springs

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:32 AM

1982-85 Delta 88 Rear Coil Springs

Good day to all. I'm looking for some input with regards to the replacement of the rear coil springs in a 1985 Delta 88 two door. Has anyone installed the heavy duty coil springs? If so have you noticed any differences in the drivability or quality of the ride? Are things much stiffer?

I'm fixing to replace the rear coil springs and I'm looking for the pros and cons of the heavy duty coil springs,and or if I should just stick with the regular coil springs.

Thank you to all who reply and Happy Oldsmobiling!
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

In my opinion the ride is all in the shocks on the delta 88s. I'm still running the original springs in mine after 11 years of everyday driving. The car is still raked up pretty high in the back, compared to the squatting front springs. I put in some lowering springs, and didn't like them.
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM

Well I can't say if the cars are like the wagons but I have found that there is a big difference in the springs I have. The car had F-41 springs to begin with and the ride was firm and handled great. I put a set of Eibachs on to lower it an inch and they feel much softer and less confident. I am probably going back to the F-41's for the front maybe cutting them down an inch as there didn't seem to be any real drop with the Eibach. I guess 25 year old springs settle the inch and a 1/4 that the Eibachs were supposed to. For the rear I think I am going to coilovers. I have a set of them already and my wife can fab up the brackets so all I might need is the correct coild for the weight. So I guess the easiest thing to say for you is to ask what do you want out of your car? Do you want a cushy car? One that handles like I want? One that can handle more weight like hauling a full load of people and luggage in the trucnk for trip?

Last edited by The Stickman; March 31st, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by The Stickman
The car had F-41 springs to begin with and the ride was firm and handled great. I put a set of Eibachs on to lower it an inch and they feel much softer and less confident.
I went right back to stockers as well.
Originally Posted by The Stickman
For the rear I think I am going to coilovers. I have a set of them already and my wife can fab up the brackets so all I might need is the correct coild for the weight.
Be careful with coil-overs. The 80's frames are weak up top. Have your wife weld in some sizable supports for those spring cups. A few years of hard drag strip launches and they'll crack right off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
caprice3.jpg (8.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg
z7.jpg (92.1 KB, 71 views)
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Did you consider variable rate coils?

http://info.rockauto.com/Husky/Detail.html
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM

I have an all stock '85 Delta 88 2dr coupe with 70k org miles. I'd like to upgrade to the F-41 suspension, especially the springs. Is there a GM part number for these, or any aftermarket sources?

PS I'm also going to be adding Bilstein shocks, so I think the combo of two would be great.