Oldsmobile/Pontiac 9.3" C Axle --- Help!

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Oldsmobile/Pontiac 9.3" C Axle --- Help!

I am looking for some information about this rearend. I have not had much luck with parts suppliers other than gears and gaskets. This rearend is bolted under my 57 Chevy Belair coupe. I broke the carrier pin on my last outing. The partial piece of pin floated out into the pinion gear and chewed it up real good. This rearend is very similar in looks to a ford 9" since it has a drop out third member.

This is old school drag racing stuff. Here is what I know about it:
The ring and pinion is a 3.23 gear set(42-13).
This rearend was made from 1957-1964.
It has 31 spline axles.
The carrier housing has 3 parallel ribs on one side. (i've heard this is very good)
It is an open differential.
The housing has two sets of numbers on it. D18 3 and 548817
The actual carrier has two numbers as well. 532283GM and OD6X
There is a clock face/date face on it, but have no reference material as to what the pointer is showing (manufacture year I assume).

I am actually wanting some kind of limited slip differential for this. However, I don't think you can buy this as aftermarket....Auburn, Currie, Eaton ect. The spider gears are very shiny (worn) as are the pinion and ring gear.

Any help with identification or possibly any parts would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM

actualy, auburn does make just about everything for these. my brother had one under his '64 pontiac when he bought it, and had priced out all the parts to rebuild, and beef it up. everything from spider gears to bolts to bearings and seals to ring and pinion gears, even limited slip diffs. this rear end is made popular from guys with tri-five chevys who want their cars built really well, but look somwehat stock.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM

pontiac olds drop out rear

Yes I can price out some stuff for you too if you like. PM Me or catch me at jdrace.com on the web.