Restore this 68 four-door or scrap it?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Restore this 68 four-door or scrap it?

The Mrs. has a 68 Olds Cutlass (four-door, 350cid) that has been in her family for a couple of decades and was actually her first car. It's been sitting out in their field for a couple of years now, and I'm toying with the idea of getting it back on the road.

It hasn't been started for 2 years, but with only a charged battery it started up easy the last time it was turned over. It hasn't been moved in about 4 years though, and even has a flat tire (hardly a surprise). Should I bother getting this thing going? It will need at the very least minor body & mechanical work, at the most there obviously a chance it's rusted from the inside out & will never be worth touching.

It's a four-door so I know it's not worth much $, but it's not like I intend to sell it. I just wanna get it going. The bodywork is my main concern as I know squat about fixing steel. There are a couple of small rust patches on the hood and trunk lid, the worst-looking parts of the car are the wheel arches; they look pretty well toast.

3/4 view:

Minor rust:

Possibly major rust:

Front-end:

Like I said, the body concerns me most but I'm prepared to put the work in myself if it's worthwhile. I haven't gotten underneath the car to see how it looks, I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least get a "continue investigating" opinion from y'all at this early stage.

Thoughts?

It seems to need at the very minimum, besides plugs etc., a new throttle cable and the front bench seat to be recovered. And, tyres. Gas milage would suck but my commute is literally 3 mi, and insurance is cheap. It was garaged for all of its life, up until about the last 4 years when it has sat outside...
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM

It's up to you. It's an Oldsmobile so I like it, but if you had a 442 or a Cutlass 2 door I would use this for parts and invest my time and money into one of them. But there's nothing wrong with fixing up a 4 door or a wagon, I've seen some pretty nice ones that I'd enjoy driving. I'd get it in the garage or somewhere that you can jack it up and inspect the undercarriage and floorpans. See how big of a project it would be before making a commitment one way or the other. If you decide not to save it there's a lot of parts there that will fit other models, so it still has some value. My two cents worth.
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Part it out. Unless it was REALLY an easy restore it will become a money pit. Four doors don't sell. I have done a couple 4-doors but you have to love them. 1969 Cutlass parts are hard to find so you should do OK parting it. Good luck, Ken
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM

I think if the doors are solid, you should restore it. The rest of the parts can be found if needed. While it is not a highly desierable car, it is still unique. I think that car has a box frame so it can be sold to the right person redoing a convertable too.
There was a guy on one of these forums SEARCHING for a complete 68/69 four door car......mitsudave I think is his user name... He is in Florida.

John

John
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I realize 4-doors don't sell, but that's okay `cause my intention isn't to make it a show car (or to sell it). My wife's grandfather owned the car since new, then her father, then her; so I'd just like to keep it running for a bit of nostalgia. It was her first car after all..!

Once the snow melts, I'll put it up on jacks and take a look underneath and see what everything looks like. Rust is obviously my main concern, I think (hope?) that I will be able to tackle the rest of the mechanical stuff. But I know nothing about bodywork!

John: Out of curiosity, why do you think the doors serve as a good benchmark for what needs doing? Are they a good indicator of what will have rusted out, if anything?
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM

Just from what I see in the pic's I can tell there is rust and LOTS of it. Wheel-base of 4-door frames are 116"s, convertible frame's W/B is 112"s. Frames aren't interchangeable. RUST is the worst and most exspensive thing in doing a car. Always start with the MOST rust-free car you can afford, one will save money in the long run. I always say when you do a non/442/SX/Rallye, yada, yada. One is lucky to recoup $.50 on each dollar you put in it and LABOR is worth nothing. I know, I have done it. I am trying to save you from yourself. LOL, Good luck, Ken
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM

Because the doors are virtually impossible to replace. No one makes 4 door aftermarket doors. Unless you go to Arizona and find a well preserved 4 door in a junk yard it will take a small miracal to find them. Kenny is right about the frame...I had to go look it up. Rust is no joke. It is POSSIBLE to make enough money off the parts on the car to get close to buying a better condition one. OR You may find ANOTHER four door (for nostalgia reasons) and rebuild that one using parts off the one you have. It is all up to how deep your pockets are.

John
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Moment Member

Eight, how the heck do you remember all these weird facts and names. Your a freak of genius. Jim
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I always say when you do a non/442/SX/Rallye, yada, yada. One is lucky to recoup $.50 on each dollar you put in it and LABOR is worth nothing. I know, I have done it. I am trying to save you from yourself. LOL, Good luck, Ken
I second that motion! Same is true for Deltas or 98's. Only own one because you really want it or absolutely must have it. I am having trouble getting $1000 for my Delta and it would go for much more easily if it was a cutlass and for three times as much if it was an SX, Hurst, 442, or Rallye. Oh well,
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
2Blue 55

I would restore. It is a sharp looking car even though it is not a 4dr, it had family value and it is an olds. It is alot of work but well worth it. like you said you do not want to sell it, you want to keep it. there are many parts availble from fusick and USA parts supplies. There are some scarce parts, but I think you would be able to do it. Keep us updated if you decide to restore.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM

whll its up to you, it really depends on how much rust is there you need to look around the windshield and the back glass frames for rust holes bottom of the fenders and behind them look at the bottom of the cowl then pull the carpet and look at all the floor pan seams and the spot welds for the body braces then i would took at were the fram bolts to the body for more rust and then move to the trunk floors trunk extensions and check the spot welds and the seams in the wheele wells and every one has rusty quarter panels thats were i would start now as far as parting it out i parted a 68 four door about 9 years ago i do now the trunk lid is the same one on the convts the entire front clip will fit a 2 door the dash is the samerear end rear and front bumpers tail lights front grill and head light housings moter and trans, interier door handles arm rest window cranks the rest of the car will primarally fit only a 68 or 69 four door part out every thing and take it to a oldsmobile show swap and sell all the peices go early and you could make a bundle.good luck
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM

You better love it

I think the only way you can justify a restoration is if the car has some sentimental value. I bought a 69 cutlass S convertible in december, nearly rust free. By the time I get done going through it, I'll have 27-30k dollars into it, and I might be able to get 22-25 out of it if I sold it the day it was done. This is a hard lesson for me, but on the other hand, I cant go buy one either. i justify it this way, If Id have gone out and bought a new car, id have lost even more money on depreciation. at least with a classic, you'll always realize some appreciation. Not to mention youll have something that other people dont!