vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM

vapor lock?

It's 88 degrees out today. I was sitting in traffic too. Anyway, I went to the store. When I came out, I tried to start my 72 cutlass w/ 350. It would not even turn over. I popped the hood waited 10 mins and started right up. Drove home (about a mile) parked, turned it off. Same thing again. Would not even turn over. Could it be vapor lock or something else? Also, I ran into a guy who had a 68 Dodge Super Bee convertible. We got to talking, looked under his hood. He had clothes pin on the fuel line. He said it prevents vapor lock. Anyone ever hear of this?
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigfun64mo
It's 88 degrees out today. I was sitting in traffic too. Anyway, I went to the store. When I came out, I tried to start my 72 cutlass w/ 350. It would not even turn over. I popped the hood waited 10 mins and started right up. Drove home (about a mile) parked, turned it off. Same thing again. Would not even turn over. Could it be vapor lock or something else? Also, I ran into a guy who had a 68 Dodge Super Bee convertible. We got to talking, looked under his hood. He had clothes pin on the fuel line. He said it prevents vapor lock. Anyone ever hear of this?
Vapor lock won't prevent the motor from turning over. More likely this is the dreaded GM hot starter problem.

Please forward the name of the guy with the clothespin. I have a bridge I'd like to sell him...
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM

..I have the same problem with my car every now and then...I keep a small hammer under the seat...Just crawl under and give the STARTER a WHACK..!! It usually just needs ONE LIL HIT and she starts right up..!!
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info. If the starter getting hot is all it is, I am not going to worry about it at this point. Its been very cool here this summer. I will fix it next season. When I saw the clothes pins, I thought WTH!
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Vapor lock won't prevent the motor from turning over. More likely this is the dreaded GM hot starter problem.

Please forward the name of the guy with the clothespin. I have a bridge I'd like to sell him...
X2 you should tell him to change the air in his tires before it gets stale.