Need some input

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:28 AM

Need some input

I have been looking for a good project car and found a deal that sounds good to me, but my buddy thinks it's to much. So I figured I'd askk you guys here. I found a 1972 Cutlass that has been sitting for about 3 yrs now maybe a bit more. Has a 350 Rocket that was running at the time it was parked, which I've comfimed with several people. Starter was going out and brakes were as well, other than that it ran great. All glass is in the car with no cracks in windshield, one small hole about the size of a dime in the seat, and small tear on the backrest. No tears or holes in back seat. Small tear in headliner above drivers seat. 2 dents on the hood that look like it was hit with a baseball almost. Missing fronat and back bumpers, and no rusted through spots and very little dents on any of the panels. Along with this car he's throwing in a 1971 or 72 Cutlass supreme that has no motor or tranny, quite a bit of rust, but has all windows and both bumpers that should switch right over. He's asking $1500. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

CW
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

CW,

Welcome!

The bane of all projects is rust. Pull up the carpet and look at the floorpans and around the rear wheel wells.

The price certainly sounds good....but can you drive it? From experience, I can tell you there is nothing more depressing than have a non-running car (or two) with no end to the work in sight.

Hope that helped.
C.J.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

I checked for rust in the floor boards and the wheel wells, they look good. Didn't look in the trunk yet though. I believe I can have it running in a weekends worth of work. Oil has no water in it, only thing I've seen that could slow me down is there is a some damage from mice on the engine like hoses and some wiring chewed on. We checked the wiring around the engine and it looked good. Just some small places around the firewall, but looks like the mostly got the shielding and not the wires. Other than that some cleaning up and some little tweaks here and there and I think she'll run. Carb is packed full of grass and cotton though from the rats. I also live in Texas close to Lubbock if anyone is close give me shout. Thanks.

CW