Inexpensive option for convertible top switch

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Inexpensive option for convertible top switch

For 69 Cutlass (and maybe others).
Don't know if there are many out there in need of a convertible up/down top switch for less than $99. I found one for those who may not mind it not looking 100% original. www.wiringproducts.com From the home page search, put in part # 7500007. It is a SPDT (Single Pole-Double Throw) mini rocker switch that is (momentary ON)--(OFF)-(Momentary ON) (which is what is needed). The price is a whopping $2.14 (plus 5.95 shipping) I got it in 3 days. I had to file about 1/4 in. off the side of the chrome on/off mounting bracket and then shim from the back with a small piece of wood. To me the effort was worth the savings. I took a shot when I ordered it because the measurements were close. It looks very good when installed.
I did see some of these mini rocker switches at Pep Boys when I was looking all over for one. They have the normal on/off mini type(but not momentary) and they told me they couldn't get one. If you can find one locally, or have better luck than me with Pep Boys, you can save the shipping.

I have received great advice since joining this site, and this is my first attempt in giving back, I hope it helps someone.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks post of pic please
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:33 AM

Hi Jamesbo, I have a couple of pics of switch installed, but having trouble figuring out how to add pic to the thread? Can you offer some guidance?

Thanks,
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM

Convertible Top Switch

Not sure how this will come out. 1st attempt at Pics. Used 1 meg camera setting, seems like I could only send 1 pic. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Top Sw 2 005.jpg (35.6 KB, 52 views)
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM

Cool thanks, I'm not sure about your camera, but if I get too close to the subject the pic gets blurry. If I get back and focus in they seem to come out more better.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:42 PM

And for those who just have an electrically 'bad' switch, they can often be easily disassembled, contacts cleaned and polished with a dremel, and reassembled.
The 1970-1972 switches can be done this way easily. See my "120 on cruise control" thread for details how. Also for these years, the wagon rear window switch is an exact copy.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
Oldsdruid

If you're thinking of this (and it's a great idea BTW), just make sure the switch is rated for the current required to operate the component. I did much the same thing on a 73 88 ragtop years ago but that was an all-electric top with a relay in the circuit. Not sure how the A-car is wired. I'd be a little leery of a wood shim if things got hot back there, but I understand run what ya brung.

Most electronic/electrical supply houses should have a suitable switch. That's where I got mine, and also a switch for me Sears electric pressure washer. Sears wanted over $50 for the replacement switch and I couldn't see that for a 9-year-old washer that cost $179. State Electronics had an ideal toggle switch that has worked as well as if not better than the OE piece for ten years now.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM

You are correct that the current rating is important. I put elec. tape around ea. of the 3 connectors on the back of sw. because of the close space between them on the mini sw. The wood shim is up inside holding the body of the sw. tight to the housing. (it probably would stay ok without it, but wiggles a little). Wood is not a conductor, so not a concern.