dropped spindles

Old September 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM

dropped spindles

I am converting front drums to disc on my 67 Cutlass.I plan on using the MGM disc conversion kit.I want the car to have a nice rake look to it so I was considering using a 2 inch dropped spindle.Right now I have 6 inches of clearance between the lowest point to the ground.Will 4 inches be enough clearance?Anyone have suggestions how I can get that stance for my vehicle?
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerdog
I am converting front drums to disc on my 67 Cutlass.I plan on using the MGM disc conversion kit.I want the car to have a nice rake look to it so I was considering using a 2 inch dropped spindle.Right now I have 6 inches of clearance between the lowest point to the ground.Will 4 inches be enough clearance?Anyone have suggestions how I can get that stance for my vehicle?
Not on my drive way
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Dropped spindles would allow you to run stock geometry on the alignment. I have heard of people either cutting a coil out of the spring, or heating them. I haven't done any of these. but would recomend the spindles IMHO. Or you could go with wagon springs in the rear. You would elevate the tail a couple inches and get a tighter ride without sacrificing ground clearance. A talk with the local front end shop couldn't hurt either, they should have the low down on what works, and what will last
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
car guy

Unless somehas come out in the last year to correct it don't use drop spindles. They will throw geometry off and cause bump steer issues. Ultimate way to go is AFX spindle. Poor mans way (what I am doing) will get you with in 90% of the benifits of the AFX. I am using the Tall ball joints from SC&C and Eibach springs. You can skip the springs if you won't want real low.
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM

drop spindles

I used 2in drop spinles on my 71 cutlass conv and it looks good.
I rebuilt the front end at the same time and had it alligned and have no
problems of clearence or driving
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Unless somehas come out in the last year to correct it don't use drop spindles. They will throw geometry off and cause bump steer issues.
You are confusing the use of B-body spindles with the use of dropped spindles. The B-body spindles have a different steering arm location, hence the bump steer. If the dropped spindles use the original steering arms and is the same height, the suspension geometry will be exactly the same. The only change is that the actual spindle post is relocated higher up on the steering knuckle.