Has anybody used Nu-Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Has anybody used Nu-Chrome?

I was considering using Nu-Chrome for some rechroming. Has anyone had any experience with them? Or any other recommendations from other companies?
Chris
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Have not used them but they appear to have a very bad rating if you do some research...Pauls seems to be the best but they are expensive..
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

I didn't realize just how bad of a reputation they had until I started looking into them. They are all over the internet with bad press. I'm surprise they bother to advertise since they cant handle the orders they have.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
"me somebody" site member

I had Nuchrome re-chrome the rear bumper on my '65 Jetstar. I was not happy with their work. They took nearly 3 times as long (6 months!) to do my bumper as they said. But worse than that, it is not the "show-chrome" quality job that I was promised (and that I paid for - $600 back in 2005). I will say that the chrome quality is overall very nice, and there has been no peeling or other defects in the 3 years since the bumper has been on my car. But there is some "wavyness" that suggests to me that they did not sufficiently "prep" the bumper prior to chroming. I gave them a VERY nice core with no pitting or rust whatsoever, just dull chrome and some minor imperfections (perhaps caused by use of the factory jack at some point in the car's life). The bumper is NOT horrible, it just is not what I wanted...the imperfections I refer to are more obvious from some angles / under some lighting conditions that others. I will also say that some bumpers are tougher to get "perfect" than others. Mine presents a wide flat surface across the back (perpendicular to the ground) that I think is very hard to get perfect. I bet anyone with a '66 442 will understand what I mean.

They say a picture says a thousand words:

I chose Nuchrome at a Carlisle, PA swap because their salesman / display struck me a "class act" (as opposed to the vibe I get form the "Bumper Boyz"). I also based my decision on some examples of their work, including some bumpers the guy had in his truck that he was delivering to customers at the swap (which looked excellent to me). Anyway, I wish I made another decision. Though who knows..I may not have gotten any better. I have heard good things about Tri-City platers for example, yet I have seen examples of THEIR work that I would not have left on my car for 3 years like I did with the NuChrome job.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck!

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; September 5th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Maybe their intent is to produce a quality product and they have at least one old master on staff who can deliver.

But...the old guys who took pride in their work seem to be dying off and no one seems to care anymore...its everywhere you go...thats not to say that the kids/younger workers dont care...there just isnt as many of them
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
"me somebody" site member

What I don't understand is...you see lots of high end cars with flawless paint and chrome work. SO the craftsmanship is still out there. Just not available to mere mortals without 100-200K to lay down on their cars, I guess?! I for one can't afford to have such an expensive job done twice, which is why the bumper is still on my car. Sadly, it seems to be a crap shoot with a lot of these vendors...maybe you'll get a good one, maybe you won't. Which means testimonials are worthless. Sucks.