Leaf spring separators

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Leaf spring separators

I am restoring a 1953 Olds 88 , with rear leaf springs . I dissassembled the springs for blasting and paint. There were fiber-like strips (described in one article I located as "wax -impregnated paper" ) between the springs . Does anyone know where to get the strips , or have a suggestion as to an alternate material to use ? It looks like the thickness of the material should be similar so the clamps holding the springs together will tighten . Thanks for your help.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Threejdsolds
I am restoring a 1953 Olds 88 , with rear leaf springs . I dissassembled the springs for blasting and paint. There were fiber-like strips (described in one article I located as "wax -impregnated paper" ) between the springs . Does anyone know where to get the strips , or have a suggestion as to an alternate material to use ? It looks like the thickness of the material should be similar so the clamps holding the springs together will tighten . Thanks for your help.
I don't know how accurate you want this restoration to be, but street rod shops sell plastic separator strips that greatly reduce internal friction in the spring, improving ride quality.