Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1988 Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM

1988 Custom Cruiser

Interior condition is great, except for the fabric headliner is gone. The inside roof is just metal. All the fabric and carpets are intact including the 3rd row seats. With some TLC this could be a great looking car again! The outside has minimal rust but it definently needs some paint! The car runs great (but burns oil, not sure why). All the power features work, power seats, windows, including the back and the a/c has been great this summer so far! It really is a nice smooth ride. It's located in Columbus, OH and I'm open to offers! I really want to find it a good home with someone who will appreciate it for the beautiful car that it is and not part it out or use it as a derby car!! Please email me with any questions or if you would like more pictures. Thanks!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM

The headliner is impossible to replace. However, you can fashion one from thin mahogany sheets. Make them in two pieces like the originals. Locate the frame supports for the roof and screw them onto the roof. Get some foam backed headliner materiel from a fabric shop, not Joann's etc. You'll need to glue with heavy duty glue to attach it. Never fold the headliner materiel, only roll it to keep out unwanted seams. Leave enough around the edges to tuck under the wood. You may have to make the wood in sections. It can be done, Necessity is the mother of invention!

For the one that buys the car, getting the faux wood off is very tough! I used a power washer, a razor scraper and chemical to remove it. It will take off paint but chemically stripping the car for painting gives a better finish than the OEM crap that GM did back in the day.

Likely you are burning oil from the valve guides that have worn out. They can be replaced by removing the rockers. Might as well do a valve job. If you have really high miles then rings and valves may be the problem. Have you tried changing the oil to a 30/50 with zinc additive?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Good luck with your sale.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:24 PM

I don't think it's his car. He's responding to a 6-year-old post.