Disc brake conversion...

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

Question Disc brake conversion...

I posted a similar question before, but in the wrong thread. I bought these calipers from an El Camino that was being parted. The builder was going to use entire Hotchkis front end, so I'm assuming this came as a kit from them. That being said, I called Hotchkis and they told me they use tall spindles and calipers for mid 70's Camaro's requiring the Hotchkis upper A-arm. I was looking and found a company that sells spindles that mount to standard A body upper A-Arm, but can accomodate the tall spindles. I don't want wait until I have the extra $700 for the Hotchkiss A-Arms before I can have disc brakes... Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brakes.jpg (88.3 KB, 32 views)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
car guy

You really need to check out Joe's thread

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html

Lots of problems with tall spindles on early Abody
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

Ok Rich,

I hate to sound dumb, but I didn't see anything in his thread regarding the tall spindles. Are you referring to the use of the factory wheels with this setup?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by csouth
Ok Rich,

I hate to sound dumb, but I didn't see anything in his thread regarding the tall spindles. Are you referring to the use of the factory wheels with this setup?
I am saying go with Joes way instead of the tall spindles you have pictured above. They are off a 73 or newer right? Those are tall spindles.

15 years ago tall spindles were all the rage but lots people have discovered since of major bump steer issues with the conversion.

The hot ticket today is AFX spindles but they are not cheap. A nice happy medium is what I did. Tall ball joints in the SC&C stage II+ kit. All the benefits of the tall spindle without the bump steer issue.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are two problems with the tall spindles on A-body cars. First, the taller spindle requires a narrower upper control arm (Hotchkis, Global West, etc). Second, the ball joint and tie rod end taper is different, so use of the 73-up upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rods is mandatory for safety. The correct uppers come with the aftermarket upper arms. The lower ball joints must be machined to fit in the stock lower control arms. The outer tie rod ends require special sleeves to mate them to the old inners.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Question

Joe,

These are the spindles I was thinking of replacing the existing spindles with. Would the result be the same? I just wanted to know before I post them for sale. Sorry for all the questions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM

If there is any way you can find any 69 to 72 "A" body disc set up or the 73/74 Omega, Nova. Buick Apolo set up, you will have an easy convertion. Bolts right and down the road you go. Be sure to take the complete set up. If you go for manual disc use the '70 442 manual disc master cyl.

Gene
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,

These are the spindles I was thinking of replacing the existing spindles with. Would the result be the same? I just wanted to know before I post them for sale. Sorry for all the questions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...1%7C240%3A1318
These appear to be brand new forgings designed specifically for the 64-72 A-body cars. I'd check with CPP, but if so, they should have the same height and ball joint taper as stock, so they would be a bolt-on.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks. I'll give them a call for some more info.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM

CPP told me the factory ball joint is used with these. I was told the height is the same, but the pin position has been change? Sound right?
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

CPP told me the factory ball joint is used with these. I was told the height is the same, but the pin position has been change? Sound right?
If by "pin" they mean the spindle that the wheel bearings fit on, then it sounds like these are also lowering spindles.