leaking brake line connection

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM

leaking brake line connection

Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my master cylinder for the power brake system in my '53 Olds.
Everything went perfectly with the MC itself.

My only problem is that now I have a leak where the brake line (it's a side line type) is attached to the MC.

There is a thru bolt that holds it on and there are 2 brass washers between the line fitting and the MC.

I've tightened it all up but is still leaks fluid when I apply the brakes.

Any suggestions?

by the way, is it possible to have fluid leaking out of the top of the dipstick if it is overfilled? That may bart of my problem too.

thanks,
Casey
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tarps3
Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my master cylinder for the power brake system in my '53 Olds.
Everything went perfectly with the MC itself.

My only problem is that now I have a leak where the brake line (it's a side line type) is attached to the MC.

There is a thru bolt that holds it on and there are 2 brass washers between the line fitting and the MC.

I've tightened it all up but is still leaks fluid when I apply the brakes.

Any suggestions?

by the way, is it possible to have fluid leaking out of the top of the dipstick if it is overfilled? That may bart of my problem too.

thanks,
Casey
Are you talking about a banjo fitting, where the fitting is an "O" and a hollow bolt goes through the middle? If so, there should be one copper sealing washer between the fitting and the M/C and another one under the head of the bolt. Be sure to use new washers every time, since they have some crush built into them to conform to the irregularities of the machined surfaces. New washers are inexpensive and available at most parts stores.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM

hey Joe,

You were right - the copper washers were one of my problems.
The other one was the rubber washer I replaced at the valve (I forgot what that valve is called). The rubber washer that was in the rebuild kit was too thin. That's where my leak was: between the banjo fitting and the master cylinder.
I went and bought a thicker o-ring and replaced the copper washers and that did the trick!!
Of course I had to bleed all the brakes again but all seems good with the world now.

thanks for your response!!

Casey