question for front disc conversion?

Old February 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Lightbulb question for front disc conversion?

i have drums all around and i was wondering if i can put disc/drum master cylinder first then add the disc brakes later on or do i have to put everything at the same time?
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
same but different

You need to do it at the same time of swap.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Can you add the front discs first or do you have to add at all four corners? I wanted to upgrade to discs all around but I figured I'd have to do it in stages for monetary reasons.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jolly Green
Can you add the front discs first or do you have to add at all four corners? I wanted to upgrade to discs all around but I figured I'd have to do it in stages for monetary reasons.
The master cylinder MUST match the brake configuration. Four wheel drums needs an all-drum M/C. Disk/drum needs a disk/drum M/C. Four wheel disks need an all-disk M/C. Converting to front disks is easy, since this was a factory option. You can do that now, then add the rear disks later, but you'll need to swap the M/C again at that time.

I would also add that you should become more informed about automotive braking systems before attempting to do any of these swaps yourself. This is a real safety issue, not just for yourself but for other people on the road.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Does this hold true for power drum brakes? Just wondering.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM

So basically if I want to front disc now, I'd have to get a disc/drum master, then when I add rear disc I'd have to buy another disc/disc master? So it would be more cost effective to save up and do them all at once, right?
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jolly Green
So basically if I want to front disc now, I'd have to get a disc/drum master, then when I add rear disc I'd have to buy another disc/disc master? So it would be more cost effective to save up and do them all at once, right?

Yes, but a rebuilt disk/drum M/C is $17 at Partsamerica.com. In the total cost of a four wheel disk brake swap, this is peanuts. Frankly (depending on the condition of your suspension), when you swap the front spindles, you MIGHTASWELL rebuild the front suspension. If the front end is worn, this is probably a higher priority for your cash than rear disks.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68conv455
Does this hold true for power drum brakes? Just wondering.
Yes. Power or manual isn't the problem, it's the type of brakes. You do need to get the correct M/C for manual or power, however.
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I was just doing some searching and found a front disc conversion kit from OPGI for a 68 442/Cutlass for about $850. Has calipers, spindles, lines, master brake cylinder, power booster, rotors and pads. Bearings are packed and ready for install. Sounds like a decent deal. You can upgrade to slotted/drilled rotors for an extra $100.
What do you guys think?
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM

There's something to be said for getting a kit with everything you need. I've pulled used ones from parts cars and rebuilding them is less expensive. In my part of the country used sets will cost $250-300, then new bearings, rebuilt calipers with new pads, new rubber hoses, rebuilt master cylinder. If you get used though remember to get the "L" shaped bracket off the frame that the rubber hose attaches to (different on drum setups) and the brake distribution valve.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM

dont the disc m/c just have a larger resevoir for the larger capacity that the calipers use than the drum m/c for the wheel cylinder.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds1968
dont the disc m/c just have a larger resevoir for the larger capacity that the calipers use than the drum m/c for the wheel cylinder.
NO. The pistons are different sizes also. Once again, you MUST match the M/C to the brake system configuration. Not sure how many times we need to say this in this thread.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM

ummm everything you guys are saying sounds true but when i bought my car it had 4 wheel drums and a disc brake master cylinder on it when i did the front disc swap all i did was get brake hoses, new steel lines, the spindles, calipers, brakes, brake fluid, and i re used the master cylinder on it

that was just my experience and i drove the car like that for a good 3 months no problems