Cost of Bumper Repair and Rechrome?

Old September 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Cost of Bumper Repair and Rechrome?

I just got a 66toronado. The bumpers are moderately dented and pulled out at the bottom both front and rear. I have not attempted to have bumpers repaired and rechromed before. I am looking to see what I should expect as an average bid to repair and triple plate them back to pristine. I called a company in TN and without seeing pictures they quoted $1500.00 PER BUMPER to do everything. This seems way to much. Just looking for anyone to post their experience both with recommended companies and what I should expect on average for price.

Thank you, Jeff in MN
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM

I have not had this work done myself, but a friend had his entire car re-chromed for about $8000 some 15 years ago.

Another guy I spoke to at a car show recently did a similar re-chroming not long ago and it cost him about $11,000. His comment that stuck was the length of time it took - about 3 months. Another big problem he ran into with the foundry was that they lost some of his chrome parts over that 3 month period; so you may want to make sure a parts list is signed off with the foundry before the work starts.

I am also told that each foundry is different in their prices so you may want to shop around.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; September 19th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM

69 442 REAR BUMPER COST

My 69 442 bumper had a 1 1/2" hole drilled in it. dented in a few places... Chucks Bumper and Glass had it repaired and chromed for 474.00..Excellent job...Excellent...
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Randy C.

I had the front and rear bumpers rechromed on my '68 442 just 3 years ago. The rear bumper needed to have a couple of holes welded up before it was rechromed - both had a few dents in them (and indentation dimples from the bumper bolts). The front bumper was just shy of $700 and the rear bumper (where the holes were) was $800. They did an outstanding job of rechroming - I'm completely satisifed with what they did. $1500/bumper seems a bit high to me, but then that all might depend upon which part of the country you are trying to get this done - some places just might be higher than other places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds442rear68conv.jpg (25.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv1.jpg (56.0 KB, 26 views)
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Loose Radical

Parts Place 349 (Illinois)
Tri City Plating 450 (Ten)
bumper boyz 650 (Cali)
brain freeze---there is another place in Tennessee 800

none include shipping, prices pretty current
(only bumper boyz would sell a bumper without a core)

These are NOT show quality.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM

depends on the quality, we have a shop here in Chicago (The Finishing Touch - I think) that advertises in Journey with Old's and they tell you up front they do show quality and admittingly on the expensive side - 1,500 per bumper for my '70 442. They told me of a shop in Iowa which they said is very good and half the price but not show quality. My bumpers are in extremely good condition for originals so I will wait until they need it or until I can afford (or am nuts enough) to go to Finishing touch. This is another area where I have seen cheap look good but most are ok and some terrible.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TheBirds
I just got a 66toronado. The bumpers are moderately dented and pulled out at the bottom both front and rear. I have not attempted to have bumpers repaired and rechromed before. I am looking to see what I should expect as an average bid to repair and triple plate them back to pristine. I called a company in TN and without seeing pictures they quoted $1500.00 PER BUMPER to do everything. This seems way to much. Just looking for anyone to post their experience both with recommended companies and what I should expect on average for price.

Thank you, Jeff in MN
Wish it was the old days, but not so. Apparently the cost down at your neck of the woods for show quality parts is on par with everyone else. Even up here in Canada we have the same price comparisons. In the long run, it's going to depend on what you're willing to part $$ with. Keep an eye peeled for bumpers on the web, you might find something that's you like without having to replate. Good luck on your quest.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Tri City did my '71 442 bumpers. Cost was $450+/- for each. They look great. I had paid $200 for bumpers on my '71 ss454. They have some rust spots after 3 years. You get what you pay for.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks! Where is Tri City? I'm in Minneapolis...
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Tri City is in Elizabethton, Tn. I am not sure where in Tn that is. it took them about 5-6 weeks to do their work.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by redvettemike
Tri City did my '71 442 bumpers. Cost was $450+/- for each. They look great. I had paid $200 for bumpers on my '71 ss454. They have some rust spots after 3 years. You get what you pay for.
seems nice..i better try this..Id try it first on my Muffler and hope it works..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; June 8th, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM

bumper boys were not super quality ,but they have every bumper known to man
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM

My 65 rear was a real mess...a lot of bad dents but no rot...I never thought they could do it but my local plater did it for 450.00 turned out awesome...Show? I dont think so but as good as factory or better...Fairmont plating in Calgary
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Keystone offers a rechroming service & they are competitvely priced. I think they have a facility in MN which would save you a considerable amount of money in shipping. I don't know if everyone here that's throwing out numbers have included shipping but at $50-$100 each way it really adds up.

I had mine done at Sandys Bumper in Syracuse NY because I dropped it off and picked it up. They were about $350 each for a double plating (nickel & chrome, no copper). They look great but time will tell......
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM
One of None W-31

I agree, waaay too much. I've never paid more than $350 and mine have never flaked, scratched, faded or anything. Maybe Texas weather helps out, I don't know, but with the cost of a brand new one (in the case of my car) being 3 times less than a re-chrome job, I wouldn't even consider the $1500.00 job.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Oldsdruid

EPA regs are most of what's driven up the cost of plating work. The thing about the Toro bumper is the front is three pieces which drives up the cost. Most chrome shops price per piece. $1500 for a rear is kinda steep though.

Tri-City has done all my plating work for the last 20 years or so and I like them. They've also never lost anything of mine.

Something to consider- most OE or NOS chrome is nowhere close to show quality. If you're after duplicating the original chrome finish, a good "street chrome" job may work well for you. Just make it plain you don't want to see any grinder marks etc in the finished product.
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Keystone is the best on rechrome in my opinion and they have a lifetime guarantee. Do a search in your city for a Keystone facility. I want to say they were around $500 a piece.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM

re chrome bumpers

I just talked to Keystone automotive in Brainard, Mn. and they quoted me 1655.00 for both front and rear bumpers for a 1956 oldsmobile , and they are huge bumpers. their phome # is 800 432-3720
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:55 AM

Several years ago I had the front bumper on my '58 Dodge rechromed through Keystone. I went with their 'show chrome' quality and each of the 13 pieces were simply spectacular. I couldn't get over how exquisite they were. I was like a giggly kid on Christmas opening each wrapped piece. I later found out however that they didn't do the chrome job themselves. They subbed it out to a shop called AIH Chrome, I think in Nebraska. Anyway, 15 years later I started getting some hazing so I pulled my old receipt and had a Keystone rep take a look at the bumper. He stated there's nothing he can do 'cause the work wasn't warrantied for life. I argued with him and even had a body shop owner intercede on my behalf, but to no luck. After looking at the old receipt it made no mention of lifetime warranty even though I distinctly recall that was discussed when I first had the job done.

End result, AIH did a fantastic job but just make sure that what whatever warranty is provided is also in writing.

Chris