follow up: still need help, part ordered was wrong and my 69 Delta 88 455 is sitting

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM

follow up: still need help, part ordered was wrong and my 69 Delta 88 455 is sitting

I ordered what was supposed to fit, but the catalog was wrong. I'm sending them back.

However...my car is still DOA. I can't find any headers, any manifolds of any kind. Mine was the center dump single exhaust. I'm sure we could convert to rear dump dual exhaust manifolds, but can't find them either. The headers I ordered were for 71+ and the manifold we found was for a cutlass and did not work.

I'm at my wits end, someone help me find OE replacement manifolds or headers -just something to put on the car and get it rolling again.

thanks
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Past Administrator

Alan, I own a '69 Delta with a 455 and this is what I did. I went to the junkyard and bought a driver's exhaust from different car with a 455 engine that has a rear exit collector and modified it by cutting the end (collector part) and rotating it 90 degrees so it dumped toward the firewall and left enough clearance for attaching a downtube. This was necessary because our Deltas have the steering box behind the upper control arm. I had a local shop that could weld wood if necessary weld it, they are REALLY good. I cut off the crossover portion of the passenger side exhaust manifold and had the same shop weld a heavy gauge plate in place. In essence I ended up with two manifolds that allowed true dual exhausts all the way back, 2 1/2 inch pipe. They are similar to the famed "W and Z" exhaust manifolds from the factory that cost lots of money, I don't know how much they go for now. That's what I did, hope this helps.
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM

http://www.tntmusclecars.com/manifold.html Try this link or Thornton Reproductions web site......The manifold you need is sold by them....Didnt I say so before???...A little searching should have led you to the right manifold......If not a junkyard manifold should be easy to find as the same one was used from 65 to 70 on most every full size BB Olds.
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

Maniac, you are right, that second one down is the one! It has that nice little hitch in it to clear the steering box and then angle down just right for the downtube to attach. Nice research work!
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
http://www.tntmusclecars.com/manifold.html Try this link or Thornton Reproductions web site......The manifold you need is sold by them....Didnt I say so before???...A little searching should have led you to the right manifold......If not a junkyard manifold should be easy to find as the same one was used from 65 to 70 on most every full size BB Olds.

you did say that there was someone building that, but didn't mention a name. I did run across tnt, but was looking for the center dump manifold I have now. But according to this thread I can take that one and modify if necessary.
Thanks guys!!
A
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM

all is well...

OK, thanks to you guys I've bought the new s manifold and a new passenger side manifold as well. Thornton Reproductions had them in stock ready to ship. So...for less than $500 I've got new manifolds for both sides coming. That's $100 less than the headers I bought that turned out to be for 71-75 deltas.

Thanks again guys.
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Glad you found what was needed......I guess I thought you would be able to find that manifold by visiting the Olds sites I visit daily.....442.com.....Oca website......real olds power...etc.....I forget too sometimes that I have 35 years of the Oldsmobile hobby with me and others may be new to it.....Good Luck with the install....