455 to 496

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM

455 to 496

okay so i just got off the phone with my engine builder and he is (and with a demented chuckle)says he is gonna turn my poor and defensless 455 into a frankenstein 496. before i get further im new...anyways my 68 cutlass is a numbers matching car minus the trans cause sometime along its life the original owner thought it would be a wonderful idea to swap in a th-350,bless his heart may he rest in piece but if he was still around i would smack him, anyways the motor is an original 350 and instead of scattering an original motor i am swapping in a 455 cause i do plan to restore the car one day down the road. my question to any one is has anyone done this to a 455 cause ive found that its a common thing to do is to stroke and bore it to 496 cubes...man this sucks...first i get this car...then i find its a fairly rare car...but resiting the urge to back half it and turn it into a full on prostreet is so hard
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:35 AM
Past Administrator

From what I have learned and read about the 455 engine, you don't need to stroke it, a simple .030 over bore would do. What you actually put in the bottom and top end will make more difference if you are looking for raw power. I would suggest that you go over to Realoldspower.com and ask those guys over there, go to the engine tech section and ask that question. Be prepared to specify your goals as this will determine how far they go and what they recommend. Good luck and welcome to this site. Hope to hear more from you and let us know what happens.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM

realoldspower.com....site broken for 5 days now

naw....i like to come to sites that actually work...kinda like this one...realoldspower has been down for 5 days or so...some kind of fatal error...oh well...anyways i talked it over with my builder and we are gonna go 60 over on the block cause we can and go with a set of forged ross race pistons,and venolia rods for strength and just do a real good clean and polish on the stock crank and deck the block about 10 thousands cause there is a little uneveness. the heads will be a set of out of the box edelbrock performer units(not gonna port them yet) and top it with one of their intakes as well. the engine should be strong and reliable i hope....guess ill know when i get it back from the shop and then ill get it on the dyno and hope for some good honest numbers,if it does what i want it to do on the dyno and the track ill post the build sheet(recipe for disaster )or pics of the exploded engine eiter way ill let you guys know how it goes
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Past Administrator

sounds like you have a good plan, good luck with it and definitely keep us posted on the results. About R.O.P. I didn't realize they had trouble until yesterday, too bad, really good info over there when it works.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM

realoldspower down

i just checked it before i logged in here and its still down as for the plan...i just hope it dont blow cause i got a little dough tied up in this motor so far...i posted my questions about the 455 to 496 build on r.o.p. and ive been trying to get on to see if antbody responded but i guess if i cant get on then nobody else has either...oh well guess r.o.p. is r.i.p. couldnt resist
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM

To tell you the truth my 69 455 with a mild cam .030 over and stock heads with an edelbrock intake 750 cfm rochester (jeted for the motor) and flowmaster 2 1/2 makes a respectible amount of h.p. and its reliable enough to drive on the streets.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM

496 go boom!!!

well it popped and it let go good,i didnt know a rod and piston could make such a big hole...took out the oilpan rail too there aint much left....my eyes got a little to big for my stomach and the guys at work egged me on to add more nitrous so i put the 250 jets in and at 4800rpm it scattered....made a taste over 600 horse when it let go....guess i wont let my co workers egg me on into doing something stupid again....wife aint to happy either 7 grand down the tubes ill just rebuild my 350 into someting desirable until i can do another big block...catch ya later...stretching out on the couch as we speak
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Do you want to sell the heads that where on it? Or did they crack when you blew the motor?
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM

how the heads faired in the explosion...

sorry dude...they got clobbered with chunks of piston and all kinds of fun stuff...i was thinking of using them myself if i decide to build another big block but when we tore it down it was obvious when we turned the heads around wonder if edelbrock covers engine explosion in their warranty most the motor went to the recycler and ive kept a few parts as a lesson learned and for conversation pieces. ive ordered a complete overhaul kit for the 350 and im not gonna go over board with it just a nice reliable stroker nothing to fancy since the wife has "restricted" my spending after the big block ate itself....its really not the fact it blew its more the fact that it wasnt in the car when it happened oh well
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Yeah I wouldnt be to happy but hey thats what makes a motor a motor. Was there anything saveable off the motor. Did you happen to take a photo of the block. For a good street 455 you might think about a set up like mine I only have about $2500-$3000 into the build. Its in a 69 delta convert that does 15.2s on 6 inch wide tires. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434569
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Hello I'm new here but have been a olds fan all my life .. I hate to here your engine let go mine let go last summer.. but it was 13 years old it was a .60 over 455 with flat top pistons and a set of ported B heads with a jm25-28 cam with a offy tunnle ram and 2 600 holleys . it was a very good set up it put a 3800 pound car down a 1/4 at 11.31 @ 117 mph and I drove it on the street and the temp never got above 195 on a 100 degree day I'm going to bebuild it as soon as I get moved and get a garage built.. not to many olds fan's around here..
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM

nothing savable...got lots of bent parts

naw man im regretting not getting pics of the aftermath....a lot happened and i had to do a lot of clean up in the dyno room...the #2 rod kicked and it along with the piston took out the side exposing the #4 hole a bit and it took out the oilpan rail....it was nasty i got some boxes of broken parts that im gonna try and assemble to see what part it makes(i just love puzzels )im still missing a piston cause im only counting 7 got most of the #2 rod and some rods looked like horseshoes im still trying to get out of the doghouse with the wife...she is still not happy with the incident, so its a pretty sore subject around the house and i have to beg for money to get the 350 done anyways ill catch yu guys later...gotta go to the machine shop and drop off the heads for my small block.