2001 Aurora won't start

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM

2001 Aurora won't start

I purchased a used 2001 Aurora last Feb. from Gene Norris GMC in February of last year. It had about 60,000 miles on it. Was very happy with the car for a bit. I had a remote start installed by a reputable company-it installs them for dealerships-shortly after. I had purchased the Valu Guard extended warranty when I purchased the car, so the first time it wouldn't start, I called Norris and took it in. Of course, first they blamed the remote start. They checked out the car, said it was fine- no codes. I took it home, and disconnected the remote-just in case. I know numerous people that have remote starts (including me on my last car) that have NEVER had any problems with it interfering with the ignition. Anyway, from then on.... I have had the car towed 5 times (last was last Friday at work). I have taken it in numerous other times. Frist it's the starter, then the ignition. Norris replaced the front section of the ignition, then the rear part. Then it was a short. Then it was something else...and so on and so on. I towed it in 2 weeks ago, and spoke with the dealership general manager. He said he had 4 mechanics working on it. I'd have to pay for the tow & service since it wasn't a warrantied part. It was the relay box- over $350.00. After speaking with another mechanic ( a family friend) I was told the relay could have been bad due to all the times they worked on the engine. It could have been accidentally nudged and disengaged. I questioned Norris, and the mechanic told me it could have happened while they were working on it. And, of course, I paid the deductible many times. I called the warranty advisors who told me the car was running when I took it home and different things were fixed each time, therefore I needed to pay the deductible each time the car went to Norris. --- I was told Norris fixed the problem each time. My question: If it was "fixed" each time, why do I still go out to start it with no results? A few months ago, after they informed me that the car was fixed and wouldn't be a no-start again, I had the remote re-installed. Since then it's not started 3 times. It was disconnected for about 7 months, during which time the car didn't start numerous times.

Anybody else have problems with this? The service advisor told me this is why the prior owner might have gotten rid of the car. That's fine, however, I reminded him for all the money I've paid them the last year, I would think the problem would/shoud have been fixed.

HELP!!! thanks.
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I too have had this problem

My car will not start ... the ignition switch does not activate the starter, so you don't hear anything.

I have had this looked at multiple times. Nobody can diagnose it. GM states that they have no history of complaints ( I doubt that ... they just want to sweep OLDS under the carpet).

My solution: Just keep trying to start it. Eventually it will start. Most times, it will start within a couple of minutes. One time, I had to wait over 40 minutes though.
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Past Administrator

What year and model of car? history? conditions when starting? just clicks or does the engine rotate but not run? Too many variables to help you,,,,,,,yet.
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

This happens a lot, with the Cavaliers too.
Sometimes it is the factory radio theft device. If someone tries to steal the stock stereo (DEAR GOD WHY?) the car will not start. A lot of these were faulty.

Also,
Sometimes you can get away with starting it in Neutral, these shifters/electronics were having a big problem detecting weather or not the car was in park, or in gear.
you may be able to wiggle,hit,tap, and slide your way to victory.
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM

im having the same problem now only problem is im a college student and i cant afford to keep putting it in the shop to always find out that the problem isnt really fixed
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM

I too have to encounter same technical problems with my such vehicles. I have checked many automobile technicians and technical engineers of the company but it vain! I dont knwo what I do now as I can't afford more expenditures to be invested on such vehicle. PLz give me some valuable advices which i have come here to seek!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jelardo
I purchased a used 2001 Aurora last Feb. from Gene Norris GMC in February of last year. It had about 60,000 miles on it. Was very happy with the car for a bit. I had a remote start installed by a reputable company-it installs them for dealerships-shortly after. I had purchased the Valu Guard extended warranty when I purchased the car, so the first time it wouldn't start, I called Norris and took it in. Of course, first they blamed the remote start. They checked out the car, said it was fine- no codes. I took it home, and disconnected the remote-just in case. I know numerous people that have remote starts (including me on my last car) that have NEVER had any problems with it interfering with the ignition. Anyway, from then on.... I have had the car towed 5 times (last was last Friday at work). I have taken it in numerous other times. Frist it's the starter, then the ignition. Norris replaced the front section of the ignition, then the rear part. Then it was a short. Then it was something else...and so on and so on. I towed it in 2 weeks ago, and spoke with the dealership general manager. He said he had 4 mechanics working on it. I'd have to pay for the tow & service since it wasn't a warrantied part. It was the relay box- over $350.00. After speaking with another mechanic ( a family friend) I was told the relay could have been bad due to all the times they worked on the engine. It could have been accidentally nudged and disengaged. I questioned Norris, and the mechanic told me it could have happened while they were working on it. And, of course, I paid the deductible many times. I called the warranty advisors who told me the car was running when I took it home and different things were fixed each time, therefore I needed to pay the deductible each time the car went to Norris. --- I was told Norris fixed the problem each time. My question: If it was "fixed" each time, why do I still go out to start it with no results? A few months ago, after they informed me that the car was fixed and wouldn't be a no-start again, I had the remote re-installed. Since then it's not started 3 times. It was disconnected for about 7 months, during which time the car didn't start numerous times.

Anybody else have problems with this? The service advisor told me this is why the prior owner might have gotten rid of the car. That's fine, however, I reminded him for all the money I've paid them the last year, I would think the problem would/shoud have been fixed.

HELP!!! thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM

I have a 02 Aurora and am going thru the same problem. Turn the key and nothing, try again and it starts. Thought is was the battery because every time I jumped it with charger it would start. Took it and had the battery checked and it was fine. Have done some research and found it could be one of three things; neutral safety switch, ignition switch or starter switch. Have those checked and see if it is one of those. Good luck
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jelardo

HELP!!! thanks.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Well your going to have to do some work on your own here!!! I would start by chasing voltages in the start circuit! The starter works the same as any other starter, with the exception there may be a few relays to go through beforehand! Get a wiring diagram and a good meter!!

Most newer cars with computers and add on remote start systems eventually will give the owner problems. You will probably have to jumper through some security circuits during your testing!
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM

My Father has a 98 Aurora with the same problem. He has an ignition key with a micro-chip in it, and there is a sensor under the dash for the key chip. The sensor was diagnosed as being bad. Never had a problem since. Do you have a chip key and any messages on digital display.

Just realized this post is 4 years old!

Last edited by Beob; September 6th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.