99 GLS worth

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM

99 GLS worth

Well,

I'm 19, first car, lol. Well, technically, cause it's the first one I'm paying off lol. Anyways, I went to a Sub-Dealer, we know the guy so the pressure was not too heavy, and saw the car, surprised to see one like this one. It has the GLS package, leather, sound, and a red-bronze-purple color, which is nice. But the more and more I saw into the car (At home) the more worried I became. Water leakage, oil leakage, window problems (The link elevator thing is busted on all doors) it needs quite the repairs. Now, I got it for 4k, and only 80k miles, it already made a cross-state run, and handled nice. Except we had to keep satisfying its thirst. Did I make good investment and about how much you think I would need to fix all these little problems...

~BL
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM

Can you see where the leak are comming from? I can help you better that way.

The power window thngs breaking is actually pretty common. The tabs that hold the window on the motor are crappy. You can get replacemnets on eBay. And they aren't too hard to do yourself. 2 door, 4 door? If you have a 4 door, I'd suggest doing the front doors first, or just the driver's side window

I haven't had an Oil leak on my Alero yet, but I did have the dreaded LIMG leak (Lower intake Manifold Gasket) which is another common thing on pre 2003 3400 motors. I caught mine very early. My friend with his Malibu wasn't so lucky. Look on the side of the motor and see if you see a water trail down the side of the block, I would get that fixed first. It's about a $600 job, but will cost you more the longer you drive like that
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

NEWsmobiles.
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Not exactly a water trail, but there is a trail there. What does that mean?
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bronze_Legend
I have a 96 Lumina with a rear intake manifold water leak, I used some Bars leak, fixed it.
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bronze_Legend
Means that there is a Lower Intake Manifold gasket leak, called LIMG for short.

You have to get that fixed ASAP, basicly the antifreeze is leaking out of the side of your motor. I would check the oil too. If it looks like choclate milk, that is very bad. This means that coolant mixed in with the oil and is running though the engine. If not, you're in good shape, but get it fixed. My friend has a 99 Malibu with the 3100 motor. He didn't know about the leak, ran the car dry (of antifreeze) and the block got so hot, it cracked it. New motor!

I caught mine early. Just a touch under $600 to fix. Takes a good mech about 4 to 6 hours to fix, and you'll need an oil change afterwards too. When the manifolds are taken off, all the coolant will go down to the oil pan. It doesn't hurt anything, as long as the car isn't started like that.

GM is setteling a lawsuit about this right now. It was just posted over on www.Aleromod.com a few mintues ago. I emailed the lawyer involved about getting a refund. Need my Delta's tranny rebulit

Here it is

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative nationwide settlement with General Motors...
You will have the option to be included in the settlement if you incurred out-of-pocket expenses for any of the following repairs:
1. A replacement of the lower intake gasket, made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery for 1995-2003.5 Model Year vehicles with 3.1-liter V6 and 3.4-liter V6 engines, where OEM lower intake manifold gasket was a nylon/silicone gasket, and the vehicle was equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.
2. A coolant sealability repair (including, but not limited to, throttle body gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, lower intake manifold gasket, etc.), made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery for 1995-2004 Model Year 3.8-liter V6 engines (RPO L36), where the vehicle was equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.

3. A Dex-Cool sludge repair, made within 7 years or 150,000 miles for 1995-2000 Model Year S/T light trucks and sport utility vehicles with 4.3-liter V6 engines and equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.
The settlement will require you to provide proof that you owned or leased the vehicle at the time of the repair and that you paid for an included repair. If you do not have a receipt, ask the auto repair shop that did the work to provide you with one.
The terms of the proposed settlement are confidential while we work to finalize the settlement papers for court approval. If the court preliminarily approves the settlement, the parties will publish, mail, and email a notice that describes the terms of the settlement and your legal rights. We hope to obtain court approval and get notice out by February 2008. At that time, we will be able to answer inquiries regarding the specifics of the settlement and how to file a claim. In the meantime, you should retain all receipts you have for repairs to your vehicle

To learn more about this case, you may click on the links to the right to review the Petition, the Court's Order certifying the case as a class action, and the class notice. For further information, please send an e-mail to dexcoolcase@girardgibbs.com.

Old December 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Yea,

My car runs outta antifreeze as well, the trail is greenish looking, mixed with oil so it probably is that. My dad is an awesome mechanic but he's one that works along as he sees the problem, we'll try to go into it this Saturday and end up replacing the gasket lol.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM

This is great information to know.