I am Silenced!!! 2001 HoRn

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

Arrow I am Silenced!!! 2001 HoRn

Hey Oldsies!! I could use a little guidance here.
My owners manual only tells me to push the centre of the steering wheel to use my horn. errr .. Thanks Mr Manual. I know how to USE the horn, but I'm looking to FIX the problem so i CAN use the horn again.

My Horn doesn't work and I don't know what to do.
Sorry, for being so basic, but I'm blonde .. and new at this.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks Gang!
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Sounds like the horn button is broken or a loose wire.

Does the horn work at all? The actual horn? Not sure if there is a way to test it
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Can you hear any faint clicks from the horn relay when you push the center of the wheel? Needs to be very quiet outside to hear. The relay ~might~ be in the engine comptmt fuse box.
I assume you checked the appropriate fuses already.
Any other electrical stuff on the car not working? Dome light? Cig lighter? clock?
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

yes. when I press on the horn, I can hear a click under the hood.
no, the electricals are all fine. no trouble, other than the ABS/low track/service light has recently also come on.
I'll check the fuses. Thanks Boyzzzz. Don't assume with me .. *twirls blonde hair* any info is useful to me.

THANK YOU!!
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM

If your horn relay is clicking it indicates that the problem is not in your wheel. It could still be in the relay though. Take a piece of wire long enough to reach from the battery pos terminal to the spade connector at the horn itself. Remove the wire on it and strike the wire across the spade on the horn. If you scare the begeesuz out of yourself(horn blows), then the problem is either the relay or the wiring between the relay and the horn. If you get no horn when you strike the spade, then you have a bad horn. I am assuming that this is a dual horn setup, so I am leaning towards the relay. Have fun troubleshooting.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM

IF you have to replace the horn itself, take out the pass side headlight and look down. It's held on the frame rail by 2 10mm bolts. You can also get to it by taking out the fender liner. Turn the wheel all the way to the right becasue there are 2 bolts behind the wheel. One bolt above the wheel. and a bunch along the bottom on the bumper. There are also 2 "body plugs" along the outside of the liner, Just pull
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Hey, Muskrat, how you doin'? I agree, sounds like either: a wiring problem; or: relay problem. I'm thinking the relay is probably bad. Hook up that hot wire from the positive battery terminal to the horn itself (after removing the original wire from the relay) and if it honks (and it will scare the beJesus out of you, I guarantee it!), relay is at fault, probably.
Aron
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 69oldsguy
...If you scare the begeesuz out of yourself(horn blows)...
That's funny how even when you are expecting it to happen you still jump when it does. Imagine how startling it can be when you are in a service bay where some guys are working on an ambulance and the siren goes off unexpectedly! I almost bit my own tongue off.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
That's funny how even when you are expecting it to happen you still jump when it does. Imagine how startling it can be when you are in a service bay where some guys are working on an ambulance and the siren goes off unexpectedly! I almost bit my own tongue off.
Ouch! Good thing the ambulance was there.