Transmission Cooler Routing

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Question Transmission Cooler Routing

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows the optimal routing for a transmission cooler. I recently had my TH350 rebuilt with a shift kit and because the engine is mildly built I installed a 2100 stall converter.

I'm adding an aux cooler infront of the condenser and I've gotten confilcting cooling line configurations from various sources.

One shop told me to run the cooling lines through the aux cooler first, then through the radiator. I was told that this will ensures a more regulated ATF temperature and will cool the the engine a little bit as well.

The second routing I was told was to run the coolant through the radiator first, then through the aux cooler. I was told that this will cool the ATF more. This concerns me however, because I live in the NW and I don't want to cool the oil too much in the mornings.

Any suggestions? Is one better than the other?
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows the optimal routing for a transmission cooler. I recently had my TH350 rebuilt with a shift kit and because the engine is mildly built I installed a 2100 stall converter.

I'm adding an aux cooler infront of the condenser and I've gotten confilcting cooling line configurations from various sources.

One shop told me to run the cooling lines through the aux cooler first, then through the radiator. I was told that this will ensures a more regulated ATF temperature and will cool the the engine a little bit as well.

The second routing I was told was to run the coolant through the radiator first, then through the aux cooler. I was told that this will cool the ATF more. This concerns me however, because I live in the NW and I don't want to cool the oil too much in the mornings.

Any suggestions? Is one better than the other?
I agree with your advisors ...

Run as cool as you can it will be warm enough ...

On my current car I bypass the radiator and run through the largest cooler I could find . Could you do me a favor and ask what your people what they think of that routing ...
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

I agree with Mug. Forget the radiator and run the biggest cooler you can fit for the transmission, let the air do all the work.
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Here's a map of the cooler direction.

I would suggest spending the extra money and get the one with the fan and thermostat, running it too cool will do as much damage as running it too hot
Attached Images
File Type: gif
transcooler map.gif (12.2 KB, 108 views)
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Cool, thanks for the suggestions and the diagram.

I made the mistake of buying a smaller cooler off the shelf at the part's store so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to completely bypass the radiator. As for an aux fan and thermostat, I may not have the room. The car has AC so there isn't much space left between the condenser and the horn set up. ...Not to mention that my funds are starting to sputter on this project!

The transmission shop said that the 2100 Stall is still pretty mild and that because it is still a full sized converter that it will run relatively cool. I wanted to add the cooler for a bit of an insurance policy I guess.

Think I'll run it like the diagram shows.

Thanks again guys!
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM

The reason they ran the trans fluid through the rad was to heat the trans fluid as well as cool it...
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Hydro462
The reason they ran the trans fluid through the rad was to heat the trans fluid as well as cool it...
It just hit me ...

I'm in So.Cal. and the chance of running my tranny at too cool a temperature is slim ...

Still, I'd like to see something saying you can run at TOO cold a temperature...

aaaheatchrt.jpg
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM

I live up here in Washington State and it's not exactly warm let's say 9 months out of the year. I'm not sure if it's possible to cool the trans too much, but that's what the techs said and I'm inclined to listen. With as much money, time, blood, sweat, and tears as I have into this thing...I don't want to chance anything!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM

Connect the cooler in line with the radiator it is the recommend method. Best bet for normal driving .
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I have read that tranny fluid is designed to operate at 150- 210 degrees F for best flow. That is why they recommend running it to the radiator first to heat the fluid faster to allow proper flow. I noticed cold GM fluid in my 4L60E, prior to the change to Max ATF caused slipping. I run a aux cooler on a 94' Dodge Intrepid that is notoriouse for failing transmissions (the 42LE). A 30,000 GVW cooler does help keep the engine cool also.

Last edited by Wireman134; June 17th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.