ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Cutlass, 442, and Hurst/Olds > 442
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
1971 442 w30 ( fake or real)

Hi evreyone....I am interested on buying a 1971 442 w30,but need some info.....from what i have seen these cars dont come with bench seats or do they...this one has the correct hood 442 emblems ,air filter...I dont know what to look for to authenticate this car correctly...I am not sure about the bench seat...It has W 30 on the fenders ,has some cut outs on the hood...car is black on black with gold stripes and needs some resto...Thanks much any info will help me greatly...Ps I dont want to buy a fake...Thank you again gab
gpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
use the vin number and decode it. If you can see if you can get the engine number to make sure it is matching numbers car.
4-4-2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
88 coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpas View Post
........ not sure about the bench seat ........
Buckets would have been an option.

In the day, not all buyers wanted to give up the "practicality" of bench seats, and "options" were how profit margins were increased.

Norm
88 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Wireman134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manhattan, Illinois
Posts: 128
Here is a link to a similar discussion... http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...html#post38786

Vin decoder http://www.v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered
 
Bluevista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 4,431
I looked at the 1971 4-4-2 standard equipment list (which is a copy of Oldsmobile literature) in the Sullivan guide and it reads;"Seats, Strato Bucket (with bright moldings)".

Would a W-30 option car be different than a standard 4-4-2 and have a bench seat?

If not it is a little suspicious but doesn't mean it isn't one. It is possible they deleted the buckets and got a bench, or for some reason took them out and put in a bench at a later time, usually it's the other way around.

Allan
Bluevista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks guys....I will check for vin #s....Should i check anything else that will make it for sure a w30 442...Thanks ..Gab..Ps in the glove box i found a stiker that says F-85..What is this mean...

Last edited by gpas; November 22nd, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
gpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 17,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpas View Post
Thanks guys....I will check for vin #s....Should i check anything else that will make it for sure a w30 442...Thanks ..Gab..Ps in the glove box i found a stiker that says F-85..What is this mean...
Ok, the sticker in the glove box was probably the one with the tire pressure ratings. It will have all the Cutlass lines listed (f-85, 442, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme) and is a generic sticker for ALL cars. Do not use it as a reference that your car is an f-85 or a 442 etc.

As others have mentioned, it would be a really good idea to have the VIN decoded.

While you're doing that, get out your digital camera and take some pictures of the car and post them on the site. I'm sure that everyone would appreciate that and be able to give you some great tips on what is correct or modified.

If the car has a W30 badge on each side (front fenders) they would be right above the 442 numbers. It should also be an indicator that the car would have a 455 BB and TH400. Also check the rear axle for a code on the axle shaft. If there is a posi tag on the diff cover that's a good thing.

Use the "Tech" section to find more answers about decoding the car, engine and options.
__________________

The opinions expressed by Allan R are solely those of an Olds enthusiast and are not in any way meant to hinder a relationship between other Olds fans and their dreams...

Scientia est vox
Allan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks allan..I will take photos on mon or tuesday...THANKS FOR GREAT INFO GAB
gpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 16,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 coupe View Post
Buckets would have been an option.

In the day, not all buyers wanted to give up the "practicality" of bench seats, and "options" were how profit margins were increased.

Norm
While this is true for most models, it is not the case for the 442s. The base interior for the 442 was bucket seats with a 3 speed HD (Dearborn) manual trans. The console was an option. The optional automatic came with a column shifter and the floor shifter and console were options. The bench seat was available in the 442 as a CREDIT option. Go figure.
__________________
Joe Padavano

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)
64 Vista Cruiser
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
joe_padavano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
I dont understand what this means....IS THIS A RARE OPTION FOR W30...Theres a 1969 442 w31 on ebay that has bench and is four speed...The current bid is 35k.....Could this be a rare find...HMMMM....thanks for info...gab
gpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Moment
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 260
just because it's old doesn't mean you can retire on it..
with that said, if it's really worth some $$
Jokers69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 16,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpas View Post
I dont understand what this means....IS THIS A RARE OPTION FOR W30...Theres a 1969 442 w31 on ebay that has bench and is four speed...The current bid is 35k.....Could this be a rare find...HMMMM....thanks for info...gab
You don't understand what what means? The 442 package came with bucket seats as the baseline configuration. If you wanted, you could order a bench seat instead and get a credit (something like $5 or $10) off the price. Very few ordered the bench. Keep in mind that "rare" does not always mean "valuable" since some things are rare because they were (and are) unpopular.

As for the 69 W-31 on ebay, it's a beautiful car, but the bid levels are meaningless until money actually changes hands. Most of the high dollar cars on ebay do not sell. Just search on "completed auctions" and count how many are "reserve not met".
__________________
Joe Padavano

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)
64 Vista Cruiser
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
joe_padavano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
88 coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
........ The 442 package came with bucket seats as the baseline configuration ........
I need to remember not to wander out of my "comfort zone".

Norm
88 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 19
The W-30 was an option on the 442. Other than a build sheet, original invoice, window sticker, etc... there is no way to absolutely confirm the originality of a 442 being an original W-30.

With that said, here are some highlights:

1a. Through 1971 the VIN will tell you if a car is a 442 vs. a Cutlass/F-85. In 1972 the 442 became an option on the Cutlass (as opposed to a separate model), so the 1972 VIN does NOT confirm a 442.

1b. The big "BUT" to #1a is the 1972 W-30. The VIN format changed for 1972 and one of the digits indicates the engine code. So an "X" engine code on a '72 indicates the W-30 engine.

2. All W-30's were built in Lansing MI. You can check build location from the VIN and the cowl tag data plate. So if it's not a Lansing built car it's not a W-30.

3. I'll check one of my books on code #'s, but the heads, intake, distributor, carb and (automatic) transmission for W-30's all have unique codes. For the automatic trans the tag (on the passenger side) would be "OW" for W-30. I believe the rear-end code is also uniques, but I'll check my sources before posting.

4. A 4-speed W-30 would have manual disc brakes since the cam was different and didn't build up enough vacuum to support the power booster on power brakes. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 4-speed W-30 would not have A/C.

Good luck either way.
__________________
'71 Cutlass convertible (84-85) * '69 GTO 4-spd (86-87) * '70 Chevelle (87-92)
'70 Cutlass S (92-93) * '70 Skylark convertible (GS clone 93-95)
'71 442 convertible 4-spd (94-96) * '72 Chevelle SS convertible 402 4-spd (97-98)
'67 Corvette convertible 327-300 4-spd (98-00)
Rohebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 16,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohebo View Post
3. I'll check one of my books on code #'s, but the heads, intake, distributor, carb and (automatic) transmission for W-30's all have unique codes. For the automatic trans the tag (on the passenger side) would be "OW" for W-30.
Correct, however blank "OW" tags are available on ebay.

Quote:
4. A 4-speed W-30 would have manual disc brakes since the cam was different and didn't build up enough vacuum to support the power booster on power brakes. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 4-speed W-30 would not have A/C.
Also correct. A/C was available with the 4 speed on the 442s but not on the W-30.
__________________
Joe Padavano

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)
64 Vista Cruiser
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
joe_padavano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #16
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohebo View Post
The W-30 was an option on the 442. Other than a build sheet, original invoice, window sticker, etc... there is no way to absolutely confirm the originality of a 442 being an original W-30.

With that said, here are some highlights:

1a. Through 1971 the VIN will tell you if a car is a 442 vs. a Cutlass/F-85. In 1972 the 442 became an option on the Cutlass (as opposed to a separate model), so the 1972 VIN does NOT confirm a 442.

1b. The big "BUT" to #1a is the 1972 W-30. The VIN format changed for 1972 and one of the digits indicates the engine code. So an "X" engine code on a '72 indicates the W-30 engine.

2. All W-30's were built in Lansing MI. You can check build location from the VIN and the cowl tag data plate. So if it's not a Lansing built car it's not a W-30.

3. I'll check one of my books on code #'s, but the heads, intake, distributor, carb and (automatic) transmission for W-30's all have unique codes. For the automatic trans the tag (on the passenger side) would be "OW" for W-30. I believe the rear-end code is also uniques, but I'll check my sources before posting.

4. A 4-speed W-30 would have manual disc brakes since the cam was different and didn't build up enough vacuum to support the power booster on power brakes. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 4-speed W-30 would not have A/C.

Good luck either way.
1a '68-'71 that is.

Yes, it *can* be verified if it is an automatic and has the orginal trans with an OW code and the matching VIN derivative on the trans.

Of course now-a-days even "proof" can be manufactured. Trans tags, body tags, paperwork even can be forged. It is getting ugly out there. Just be glad you're not into Vettes where these kinds of forgeries are going on wholesale.
wmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 19
Thanks to Joe for confirming some info above, and Wmachine for correcting that my VIN statement is true for '68 - '71 only (truth be told my "expertise" is for '70 to '72 only).

Now onto some #'s for 1971 W-30's:

Block: casting# 396021F and is NOT unique to W-30's, and is a '68 to '72 block.

Heads: "H" with casting #409160 and is exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Intake = Aluminum "W-455" intake casting #407570, and is exclusive to 1971 and 1972 W-30.

Carb-Automatic: 7041257 and was used on ALL 1971 442 including W-30.

Carb-Manual: 7041256 and was exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Exhaust Manifolds: Not exclusive to W-30, and used '69 - '72
Left: "W" 402295
Right: "Z" 402294

Distributor-automatic: 1112034 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Distributor-manual: 1112036 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Water Pump: #407586 for all 442 with A/C or HeavyDuty cooling (incl. W-30 with A/C=automatic).

Water Pump: #408329 for all W-30 and/or 442 wth 3.73 rear (excl. W-30 with A/C).

Manual Trans: I **think** that all 4-speed W-30 came with the M-22 muncie "rock crusher". You should be able to confirm M-22 from the sound.

Rear: Some W-30 rears were exclusive while others were not. Below I've listed all available and whether it was W-30 exclusive or not.

3.23 open "SR" (not exclusive)
3.23 posi "SS" (not exclusive)
3.42 posi "TM" (exclusive W-30)
3.73 posi "TO" (exclusive W-30)

An important item to also check on each component is the casting date. It will help confirm if the component could have been original to the car or not.

Wmachine also makes an excellent point about the trans VIN confirming originality. This also goes for an M-22 with matching VIN on a 4-speed W-30.

Bottomline. Unless you've got great paperwork you're going to have to do alot of homework to convince yourself (or not) that it's a legitimate W-30. I almost forgot to mention the red fenderwells, but they're readily available as repro's either way.
__________________
'71 Cutlass convertible (84-85) * '69 GTO 4-spd (86-87) * '70 Chevelle (87-92)
'70 Cutlass S (92-93) * '70 Skylark convertible (GS clone 93-95)
'71 442 convertible 4-spd (94-96) * '72 Chevelle SS convertible 402 4-spd (97-98)
'67 Corvette convertible 327-300 4-spd (98-00)
Rohebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohebo View Post
Thanks to Joe for confirming some info above, and Wmachine for correcting that my VIN statement is true for '68 - '71 only (truth be told my "expertise" is for '70 to '72 only).

Now onto some #'s for 1971 W-30's:

Block: casting# 396021F and is NOT unique to W-30's, and is a '68 to '72 block.

Heads: "H" with casting #409160 and is exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Intake = Aluminum "W-455" intake casting #407570, and is exclusive to 1971 and 1972 W-30.

Carb-Automatic: 7041257 and was used on ALL 1971 442 including W-30.

Carb-Manual: 7041256 and was exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Exhaust Manifolds: Not exclusive to W-30, and used '69 - '72
Left: "W" 402295
Right: "Z" 402294

Distributor-automatic: 1112034 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Distributor-manual: 1112036 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Water Pump: #407586 for all 442 with A/C or HeavyDuty cooling (incl. W-30 with A/C=automatic).

Water Pump: #408329 for all W-30 and/or 442 wth 3.73 rear (excl. W-30 with A/C).

Manual Trans: I **think** that all 4-speed W-30 came with the M-22 muncie "rock crusher". You should be able to confirm M-22 from the sound.

Rear: Some W-30 rears were exclusive while others were not. Below I've listed all available and whether it was W-30 exclusive or not.

3.23 open "SR" (not exclusive)
3.23 posi "SS" (not exclusive)
3.42 posi "TM" (exclusive W-30)
3.73 posi "TO" (exclusive W-30)

An important item to also check on each component is the casting date. It will help confirm if the component could have been original to the car or not.

Wmachine also makes an excellent point about the trans VIN confirming originality. This also goes for an M-22 with matching VIN on a 4-speed W-30.

Bottomline. Unless you've got great paperwork you're going to have to do alot of homework to convince yourself (or not) that it's a legitimate W-30. I almost forgot to mention the red fenderwells, but they're readily available as repro's either way.
Great info, Rohebo, but still needs some fine tuning according to my records:

In '71, the M22 replaced the M21 as the close ratio 4-speed. Only the M20 was offered in the Cutlasses. The M22 was available only on the 442, but was available on a "regular" 442 also. In fact, the M20 and the M22 were available on any 442, W-30 or otherwise. So matching a VIN to a M22 won't authenticate a W-30.

There are also no axle *ratios* exclusive to the W-30s. The 3.42s were the standard ratio for all 442s including W-30s. 3.73 gears were also available on other 442s. The G89 *heavy duty* 3.73 was exclusive to the W-30, and included the G80 Anti-Spin. The G92 *heavy duty* 3.42, though required on the W-30, was also available on all other 442s *and* Cutlass models (and did not include G80).

Sure ain't easy to follow.
wmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #19
is Fast Enough ...
 
mugzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: dogtown
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohebo View Post
Thanks to Joe for confirming some info above, and Wmachine for correcting that my VIN statement is true for '68 - '71 only (truth be told my "expertise" is for '70 to '72 only).

Now onto some #'s for 1971 W-30's:

Block: casting# 396021F and is NOT unique to W-30's, and is a '68 to '72 block.

Heads: "H" with casting #409160 and is exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Intake = Aluminum "W-455" intake casting #407570, and is exclusive to 1971 and 1972 W-30.

Carb-Automatic: 7041257 and was used on ALL 1971 442 including W-30.

Carb-Manual: 7041256 and was exclusive to 1971 W-30.

Exhaust Manifolds: Not exclusive to W-30, and used '69 - '72
Left: "W" 402295
Right: "Z" 402294

Distributor-automatic: 1112034 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Distributor-manual: 1112036 (unique to '71 + '72 W-30).

Water Pump: #407586 for all 442 with A/C or HeavyDuty cooling (incl. W-30 with A/C=automatic).

Water Pump: #408329 for all W-30 and/or 442 wth 3.73 rear (excl. W-30 with A/C).

Manual Trans: I **think** that all 4-speed W-30 came with the M-22 muncie "rock crusher". You should be able to confirm M-22 from the sound.

Rear: Some W-30 rears were exclusive while others were not. Below I've listed all available and whether it was W-30 exclusive or not.

3.23 open "SR" (not exclusive)
3.23 posi "SS" (not exclusive)
3.42 posi "TM" (exclusive W-30)
3.73 posi "TO" (exclusive W-30)

An important item to also check on each component is the casting date. It will help confirm if the component could have been original to the car or not.

Wmachine also makes an excellent point about the trans VIN confirming originality. This also goes for an M-22 with matching VIN on a 4-speed W-30.

Bottomline. Unless you've got great paperwork you're going to have to do alot of homework to convince yourself (or not) that it's a legitimate W-30. I almost forgot to mention the red fenderwells, but they're readily available as repro's either way.
I'm going to replace valve cover gaskets and check the numbers on a '70 442..

What should I be looking for on a non w-machine made in lansing ..?
mugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #20
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugzilla View Post
I'm going to replace valve cover gaskets and check the numbers on a '70 442..

What should I be looking for on a non w-machine made in lansing ..?
Depends on what you're trying to find. The original poster was trying to find out if the subject car was a W-30. Are you trying to autenticate the 442?
344...... VIN confirms it as being a 442 model. The VIN derivative will be stamped on the engine and trans that would confirm the engine and trans being original to the car. What else are you looking for?
wmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #21
is Fast Enough ...
 
mugzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: dogtown
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
Depends on what you're trying to find. The original poster was trying to find out if the subject car was a W-30. Are you trying to autenticate the 442?
344...... VIN confirms it as being a 442 model. The VIN derivative will be stamped on the engine and trans that would confirm the engine and trans being original to the car. What else are you looking for?
The vin is correct and the block has the matching #s ...
i
I want to show that the heads,carb etc. are correct and original ...

Last edited by mugzilla; November 28th, 2008 at 07:38 AM.
mugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Red face

Hello guys...I am the one with original post...Here goes nothing...The vin #...3087h2m113410...engine on driver side head..cfd- 409 160 H driver side bellow the head on very small flat area..81m153177 or B1m753177..My eyes cant make exact...On front of water pump 396021... i checked the vin and it comes up as 72, 350, motor build in Lansing,Michigan...I dont know anymore...It has the fender weels in red and look very original...I will post some pics this weekend...Thanks very much for all the info provided...Gab
gpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #23
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 16,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpas View Post
Hello guys...I am the one with original post...Here goes nothing...The vin #...3087h2m113410...engine on driver side head..cfd- 409 160 H driver side bellow the head on very small flat area..81m153177 or B1m753177..My eyes cant make exact...On front of water pump 396021... i checked the vin and it comes up as 72, 350, motor build in Lansing,Michigan...I dont know anymore...It has the fender weels in red and look very original...I will post some pics this weekend...Thanks very much for all the info provided...Gab
OK, you've already decoded the VIN, so you know this is a 350 car from the factory. On the other hand, this is your lucky day. The 409160 H heads are 1971 W-30 heads. The block casting number is a 455 and the VIN derivative should actually be 31M753177, which is a 1971 Lansing built Olds motor. The heads are certainly 1971 W-30 parts and it's entirely possible that the whole motor is a 71 W-30 motor. Congrats.

The red fender wells were not offered in 1972, and would not have come on a 350 car in any case, but my money says they came from the same 1971 W-30 as the motor. Very possibly the 71 was wrecked (imagine that ) and the owner transferred the inner fenders and engine to the 72. Check the trans as well. If it's a TH400 with OW code and a VIN derivative that matches the one on the engine, jackpot.
__________________
Joe Padavano

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)
64 Vista Cruiser
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
joe_padavano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #24
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,109
But you've now confirmed that this is a '72 car. However, there is still something not quite right with the VIN. I believe it is probably 3G87.......not 3087. Which makes it a Cutlass S hardtop. And being a '72, that means you're back to possibility that it is an original 442, though it can't be proven now one way or another.
But like Joe says, you may have a jacklpot of a drivetrain there. Not bad at all.

Mugzilla, best to not further hijack this thread and go start another if you want to persue your questions. I'll say this, though, the only numbers that can "match" on a '70 are the partial VINs on the engine and trans.
wmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 19
Wmachine,

Thanks for the correction on the M-22.

The info on the rear (and actually all of the #'s I listed) were taken from a 17 year-old copy of "442 by the number" from Supercars Unlimited. Chances are there aren't very many of us losing sleep over rear-end codes (if you can ever find them), but what the book implies is that the "TM" code (3.42) is unique to a W-30 ('70-'72) as well as the "TO" code (3.73 for '71). Perhaps the book is wrong or has been updated since 1991! I was throwing it out there as another way to identify a W-30 from a clone.
__________________
'71 Cutlass convertible (84-85) * '69 GTO 4-spd (86-87) * '70 Chevelle (87-92)
'70 Cutlass S (92-93) * '70 Skylark convertible (GS clone 93-95)
'71 442 convertible 4-spd (94-96) * '72 Chevelle SS convertible 402 4-spd (97-98)
'67 Corvette convertible 327-300 4-spd (98-00)
Rohebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohebo View Post
Wmachine,

Thanks for the correction on the M-22.

The info on the rear (and actually all of the #'s I listed) were taken from a 17 year-old copy of "442 by the number" from Supercars Unlimited. Chances are there aren't very many of us losing sleep over rear-end codes (if you can ever find them), but what the book implies is that the "TM" code (3.42) is unique to a W-30 ('70-'72) as well as the "TO" code (3.73 for '71). Perhaps the book is wrong or has been updated since 1991! I was throwing it out there as another way to identify a W-30 from a clone.
You're right, Rohebo, I don't think there are many as tenacious about the details as we are!
First I need to correct myself with what I previously said: The 3.73 *was* exclusive to the W-30
I have, and still use that booklet. Good info in there. I think the reason for the confusion is that in the format they used with the columns, and being required on the W-30 doesn't mean exclusive to the W-30.
wmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
You're right, Rohebo, I don't think there are many as tenacious about the details as we are!
First I need to correct myself with what I previously said: The 3.73 *was* exclusive to the W-30
I have, and still use that booklet. Good info in there. I think the reason for the confusion is that in the format they used with the columns, and being required on the W-30 doesn't mean exclusive to the W-30.
I rarely believe the little details from non-factory books as I've seen too many mistakes over the years. I just checked the gearing page in the 71 assembly manual and found that 3.73 was available only on the W30 and posi was required. 3.42 was not unique to the W30, but on the W30 it was required to include posi. 3.42 was actually the standard rear on the 71 442 with std trans when NOT equipped with A/C. Posi was an extra option in those cases.

For 71, the W30 had only these rear options: with auto trans and A/C, 3.23 only (posi optional). For stick (no A/C allowed) or auto w/o A/C, 3.42 posi std with 3.73 posi the only other option. The W30 got code 'TM' for 3.42 posi and 'TO' for 3.73 posi. For the others, it was 'SE' for 3.42 open and 'SH' for 3.42 posi.

Al

Last edited by 69ho aurora; December 3rd, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
69ho aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #28
Registered User
 
pistonpop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 75
442 bucket seats

I just purchased a 71 cutlass S which is badged a 442. It has a bench and what I discovered buckets were an option on most models. Having said that, I want bucket seats. Does anyone have a good resorce for a set of bucket seats and center console? I have been searching the net for the past week and have only found a few, but in not so great shape. I want to custom upholster my interior, so finding seats at a decent price with just needing new skin would be great. However, I donít want to spend $1,000 on 2 seats springs and foam to have them reupholstered. I have also been looking at new aftermarket seats. It would be much cheaper to buy them and reupholster them. And all parts would be new! But I am worried about the height? I want them at the same height as OEM or close to it at possible .Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am open to anything!
John
Staten Island NY
pistonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #29
Moderator
 
Jamesbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 9,849
Pistonpop, I might suggest try'in the "Parts Wanted "thread. This one is 3 years old.
__________________


69 H/O burnt to a crisp 9/4/2010
69 442 convertible
69 Vista Cruiser
69 442 hardtop gone to a new home

"Growing old is mandatory,Growing up is optional"
Jamesbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #30
Olds Nut
 
m455sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Powhatan,va
Posts: 808
Marcus Thompson
You also can look for any GM bucket seat for that year, i believe they are the same just different upholstery.
__________________

1970 Cutlass SX
1970 442 Convertible
OCA#041704
1962 Chevy Stepside
1988 Suzuki Samurai
m455sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #31
Registered User
 
Stefano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 370
Nickey Chicago Stefano Bimbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ho aurora View Post
I rarely believe the little details from non-factory books as I've seen too many mistakes over the years. I just checked the gearing page in the 71 assembly manual and found that 3.73 was available only on the W30 and posi was required. 3.42 was not unique to the W30, but on the W30 it was required to include posi. 3.42 was actually the standard rear on the 71 442 with std trans when NOT equipped with A/C. Posi was an extra option in those cases.

For 71, the W30 had only these rear options: with auto trans and A/C, 3.23 only (posi optional). For stick (no A/C allowed) or auto w/o A/C, 3.42 posi std with 3.73 posi the only other option. The W30 got code 'TM' for 3.42 posi and 'TO' for 3.73 posi. For the others, it was 'SE' for 3.42 open and 'SH' for 3.42 posi.

Al
So on an automatic 1971 W-30 with A/C could you get the 3.23 posi or non posi and would the rear end codes be SS or SR on such a car?
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #32
Registered User
 
Mr Shifty Sidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Central, KY
Posts: 413
3:23 gears were mandated by A/C equipped W-30s in 71. A/C equipped W-30's also had to be automatic with power disc brakes. Posi was optional.

SS posi
SR standard

Don W
Mr Shifty Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:24 PM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it live or is it memorex??? or a real 442 70vette 442 18 September 3rd, 2009 09:47 AM
Real or Fake fatboy578 General Discussion 13 October 21st, 2008 07:12 AM
1972 442 convertible real u code Advillin Cars For Sale 0 July 23rd, 2008 03:16 PM
Is this 442 for real??? catonine 442 2 July 20th, 2007 06:42 PM
Its a real 442?? 442 Guatemala 442 6 July 12th, 2007 10:54 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Advertising - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
All content Copyright © 2008 by Internet Brands, Inc.