1971 442 blk/blk auto a/c ram air...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM

1971 442 blk/blk auto a/c ram air...HELP!

OK, I am new here and need help with this car. I am on Long Island and need a knowledgeable 442 guy to look at this car. I will pay him or you for the time. I am also wondering what this car is worth and I will describe it to you in detail as best I can. I was also wondering if there was any other forums for these cars as there seems to be very few people on this one. I have a chevelle SS and I am on that forum every so often and there are 50 times as many people on that one. Anyway, the car is...
1971 black /black 442 with 85k miles and protecto plate (possibly other documentation which I will find out about later) with one repaint done about 15 years ago in laquer and is showing some signs of age now. Has some checking in spots (maybe 15% of car) but is a 5-8 footer. There has never been any rust and there is none now as I looked over it pretty well. Door jams, trunk channel and inner fenders are still original paint along with the plastic panel right in the center below the hood (with the olds emblem on it) that too wasn't painted. Obviously no one put much into painting this car but it is very flat and looks show quality from 8 feet away. Options are automatic, a/c, ram air hood option, tilt wheel and other minor options that I forgot. Interior is all original, except carpet, and is very nice with minor wear. Not one thing has been changed or doctored up ever on this car. It is a survivor with one repaint in very nice condition overall but the slacked paint job bothers me! Any clues on what it is worth would be much appreciated and anyone on Long Island that could see the car with pay would also be great. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have no pics and it is not listed anywhere!

Brian
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Well it sounds like ya looked it over well.....also seems like you know what to look for....Rust/Rot would be a big concern. Then make sure it has the 455 engine with G letter heads. The hood should be steel shell with fiberglass on top. That would be a factory ram air hood....pretty valuable. Glovebox door should have 442 on it...Make sure ram air cleaner is all there. Other than that its hard to put a value on it....Ballpark guess would be around 12,000 in my book if all mechanicals are good, interior good.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well it sounds like ya looked it over well.....also seems like you know what to look for....Rust/Rot would be a big concern. Then make sure it has the 455 engine with G letter heads. The hood should be steel shell with fiberglass on top. That would be a factory ram air hood....pretty valuable. Glovebox door should have 442 on it...Make sure ram air cleaner is all there. Other than that its hard to put a value on it....Ballpark guess would be around 12,000 in my book if all mechanicals are good, interior good.
Thanks for the info. but I would take 10 of them for $15k, forget about how many I would take for $12k! There was never any rust or rot...ever!
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Well the way I see it it needs paint.....with new paint it will call for perhaps new bumpers, grills, weatherstrip...etc...etc etc.....A good paint job is about 5 G's in my part of town.....spend 5 G's plus extras, plus the price of the car and you are nearing 20 G's...Thats a lot of cash in my book....Value is always determined by what the car sells for...meaning what someone will pay for it...Seems like he wants 20 G's plus for the car....Its your choice to pay the price or keep looking.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Well, this one only went for $14,600 and it's a 4-speed, which is generally more valuable. For some reasons, 442s just never took off in the market like some other muscle cars. In any event, it's a cool car. If you can get it at a decent price, I'd grab it. Since it's not the original paint, you can alway repaint it in due time. Enjoy the car first then repaint it when you have time/money.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...fCarsQ5fTrucks

And as for other Olds forums with more people on them, you can try realoldspower.com, but I've found there's not a ton of people on that board at one time either. Plus, after 8 months, they still haven't activated my account, so I've given up on 'em. This is a good board with knowledgable people who almost always give good responses to any question you might have. Quantity doesn't always mean quality. lol.

Last edited by 68Tom; November 11th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Well, this one only went for $14,600 and it's a 4-speed, which is generally more valuable. For some reasons, 442s just never took off in the market like some other muscle cars. In any event, it's a cool car. If you can get it at a decent price, I'd grab it. Since it's not the original paint, you can alway repaint it in due time. Enjoy the car first then repaint it when you have time/money.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...fCarsQ5fTrucks

And as for other Olds forums with more people on them, you can try realoldspower.com, but I've found there's not a ton of people on that board at one time either. Plus, after 8 months, they still haven't activated my account, so I've given up on 'em. This is a good board with knowledgable people who almost always give good responses to any question you might have. Quantity doesn't always mean quality. lol.
I must take back what I said about the forum as you guys have responded well! About the car, maybe I am picky and didn't write it too well but the car I am looking at seems to be way above the one on ebay you are showing me! That one has the incorrect engine, it is green and has been doctored up! Who knows what else is in disaray with that car! It has no documentation and it is more than likely, not the original hood! I could go on and on about the things we don't know as he wrote very little about it. I wrote more about the car I am looking at just in this thread! LOL If I were to list this car it would have about 500-1000 words and you would like to read about all the original stuff I would mention along with documentation from the last two owners which he has. Anyway, I agree with the prices, that they are not too high, but this car I thought may have been worth a few bucks because of the originality, color and options but I do wish it were a 4 sp. Anymore input would be great and I will check in again every hour or so. Thanks guys!

p.s. Any cars for sale here?
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Brian, I am on Long Island too. I think I know the car you are talking about. I saw it on craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/914360469.html

I don't really know that much to take a look at it for you. You can'y get much for under 20k around here. That does seem a little high for condition of paint. A freind of mine just bought a beautiful 71 4 speed for 24k. It was mint thou. Good luck.
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 69'442
Brian, I am on Long Island too. I think I know the car you are talking about. I saw it on craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/914360469.html

I don't really know that much to take a look at it for you. You can'y get much for under 20k around here. That does seem a little high for condition of paint. A freind of mine just bought a beautiful 71 4 speed for 24k. It was mint thou. Good luck.
That's the car and I was being very picky about the paint! I mean the paint could be better but one repaint in laquer 12 years ago or so explains the checking. It was painted over the original paint, not stripped obviously but shows well. All in all, there is a local 442 guru right here in huntington that I found about 3 hours ago from a friend so I will find out more about it tomorrow. I do believe that the price is a little high and will probably end up passing on it but I will and have already learned a lot more than I knew before! I'll keep you posted everyone. Thanks again!

P.S. 69(442) I would like to know about your friends purchase, like color, auto or 4sp, options, how original is it, etc. Any info would be great and thanks again!
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM

It was green/green, nicely repainted, 4 speed, a/c, paperwork, SS111's, rally gauges, am/fm, buckets, No OAI. That's about it.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Hey Brian. Not sure if this car has the same options as the one you're looking at. I honestly can't say $125K seems reasonable, but that's what is being asked.
http://colinsclassicauto.com/detail.php?car=162

Last edited by 68Tom; November 13th, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by allsssss
...I have a chevelle SS and I am on that forum every so often and there are 50 times as many people on that one.
And there are 50 times more Chevrolets on the road than Oldsmobiles too . We are kind of rare, owning a rare breed of car and all. Welcome to our site.