New Toy

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM

New Toy

This morning I found a classified ad for a high performance Olds 455 engine/transmission for sale. I don't need another engine, but had to call and see what the story was. Three hours later I was adding a 1967 442 project car to my collection/clutter! The owner had lost interest after rebuilding an engine, trannie and painting the car. I got the correct 400 block but he decided to rebuild a 455 rather than use the original engine. All the chrome and trim is in boxes, not re-installed after the paint job. Also the interior is out of it, and the dash is badly cracked. Still, a new toys is always Cool! Fun Day!!!
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Getting There

not saying a word nice find
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Hey Ranzan, when you gonna take a break from the frigid North country and come down to visit? John
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Getting There

I`ll come down as soon as you give me a price on all your 67`s

I`m actually starting to get back into the car .....I`ve been getting frustrated everytime I open the garage up and see the thing just sitting there collecting dust...... just picked up another set of buckets ...with headrests and another console for the car

pushing hard to get my frame ready just trying to find the time to get anything done.........

but John you will be first to know because I`m going to spend the day rumaging through your stuff when I come down there

Wes
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM

I don't remember, did you have problems with the frame or just cleaning it up? I've still not come up with a solid plan on the 1967 Skylark. One day I'll look at it as parts, the next I start thinking about how cool it would be if put back together. If you don't have to mortgage the home for fuel money, bring a trailer with you!!!
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Getting There

no problem with the frame the post car I have is near mint other than front pans got it all torn down then started parts hunting ...oh then had to get a holiday coupe...for parts which hasn`t moved from my side drive since I got it.. scored a couple BBs for it I could pretty much reassemble it now if I got my Butt in gear

heres the post car pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2447183

there has been some progress on it since those last pictures. got the body sanded down and reprimed had to replace the drivers door due to damage..

and heres the Holiday
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2489437
dropped a buick 455 in to drive it around then sold the motor to a friend of mine so there it sits
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM

67 442

i have a few extra parts for a 67 442 if you need anything
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hello wj, yes I will be needing some parts. Still haven't got all the boxes of things pulled from the car, but the dash is in bad shape. I will be looking for another dash with a good pad. Some of the chrome plated pot metal pieces have a lot of bubbles in them, such as the tail light surrounds, so I'll be looking for pieces to upgrade those. The door panels are missing, but unless I can come across some pretty nice ones I've resigned myself to spend the money on reproduction to make a nice daily driver out of the car. I hope to get the rest of the stuff and go through it in the next couple weeks, then post a list of parts needed. If you have any of the items already mentioned please let me know, and also what part of the country your in so I can consider the shipping costs of anything big or heavy. John
Old February 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Getting There

Okay John the curiosity is killing me............... you have to send or post some pics of the new car ......... why is it that I NEVER find anything like that :P I might have some of the stuff you need John got a dash and pad in Black and Turqouise I would say very nice driver quality
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM

1967 photos

I created a new folder on my photobucket site and downloaded the handful of pictures I took just after unloading it from the trailer.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...20Oldsmobiles/

The hood and trunklid have been wet sanded and buffed, but the rest of the car needs the finish work from the paint job done. Today I washed the car as it had been sitting in a shed and had a lot of dust on it. The paint job isn't as nice as I'd hoped as I found some fish eye spots in it and a few scratches already. Six feet away it will look OK and I plan to use it as a daily driver so that will do for now. The car was Aqua/Aqua with a bench seat and column shift. (Sound familiar?) Power steering and Power drum brakes, no AC. It has a posi rear, the code shows 3.08 gears. both front and back glass are gone, as is the front bench seat. (you got 1967 buckets with headrests? Those are rare!) I'll probably go back to the bench seat as I have one in the 1967 Skylark I can recover, and back glass I can pull, probably buy new for the front as that's missing in the Skylark too. The floorpan in this car is very nice (the leaves didn't cost extra!). Not sure where it came from before here but there appears to be very little rust, even under the battery. It has a TH400 in it, but I don't know if that's factory or had been changed. The hood springs aren't installed and the corners of the hood have paint chips from lifting it up so no pictures of the engine yet. wj67442 also said he had some spare parts so I'll be talking to you guys as soon as I figure out just what I need. If you'd part with the black dash pad Ranzan that would help me along. I don't have much 1967 stuff, but lots of other Oldsmobile parts. If you guys would be open to trades let me know what your looking for. Otherwise I'll be getting my tax return soon, and I've been doing well on ebay selling Buick parts lately.

It's kind of funny. I'd see maybe one interesting Oldsmobile a year for sale in the past several years. Then this last year I've had interesting Oldsmobile and Buick cars and parts falling out of the sky! A car buddies wife asked how I kept finding stuff to buy, when I explained where I look for ads her answer was " Well, Quit Looking!" I just need 20 acres in the country and a barn, then I could start saving stuff for my retirement!
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Getting There

great score John...if I bring a trailer down with me that one is coming home with me

You know the funny thing is John been down in your neck of the woods a few times I used to work for Canadian Air Crane....
Erickson Air-Cranes sister company out of Central Point

typed in Medford on Google maps and started laughing
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:12 AM

67 parts

Hi John
John i have 67 442 post coupe and i do have inner door panels but for a post coupe only they are in very good condition complete with nice rocket emblems..ii have around 4 sets of tail light housings im sure alot nicer then yours, also front hood lip molding, eye brow moldings, if you have a post coupe i have the side window moldings, nice front and rear bumper just need to be rechromed..completely restored black original steering wheel.
dont have a dash pad but i am sure i can come up with one...i also have other parts my 442 is a numbers matching post coupe and its all original like it came from the factory in 67 took almost 5 years to put back together..some parts i wont have until march...headlight housings, front parking light lenses, 4 BBl Carb..i also have the original full size hub cabs that came stock on the 442 nice shape...i am New jersey keep in touch and ill try to help you if i can...
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Getting There

WJ what color are your door panels? and how much would you want for them?I need a set for my Post car
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM

WJ, thank you for the list of spare parts. Yes, as soon as I figure out what I'll need I would like to talk with you about them. My car is a hardtop so if you and Ranzan can work out something on the post door panels that won't interfer with you and I making a deal on parts. John
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Ranzan the door panels are black and they are the original panels that came with the 442 in 67 from the factory..but still they are in very good condition.
i will take some pictures in the next few days..( if you have a email ill send them to you ) since there is no company that makes after market panels for a sports coupe i took the extra set i had a sentthem to this company to berestored..after you get the pictures let me know if you want them and we can work on a price..also do you want the chrome strip between the rug and panel and do you want the 2 rocket emblems those also are in nice condition and very hard to find...

WJ
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Getting There

Thanks WJ I have 2 sets and both are shot yeah I will take the complete panel if they are in good shape

can get me by e-mail at ranzan@shaw.ca
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM

after you see the pictures you wont believe the panels are 40 years old
let me know where i can send the pictures too thanks

wj
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Getting There

if you can send them to my standard e-mail that would be great

ranzan@shaw.ca

or you can send them through my company e-mail

ferguson.exteriors@shaw.ca

Thanks