New to Forum: 1966 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM

New to Forum: 1966 442 Convertible

Hello from California . . .

In 1975 just before my 16th birthday I was in the market for my first car. I found a 1966 442 Convertible in the local paper. My father reluctantly agreed to go look at the car. As he was rather legendary for his exploits as a young driver he was understandably concerned with me as a brand new driver driving a "hot rod" and of course my mother was absolutely convinced being a convertible I would flip the car. But somehow I convinced my parents to let me buy the car which I did for $750. To this day I still tell the story of my father driving the car home, putting his foot in it, shaking his head and muttering “oh-s#%t!” as the secondaries kicked in and the car blasted down the expressway.

We performed an amateur restoration over the next couple of years and the car was my primary means of transportation until about 1980. The Olds saw limited use over the next 20 years. I considered selling it many times especially in the early years of marriage when we needed a refrigerator or a washer or a new roof but my wife refused to let me sell it.

The Olds has spent the last eight years undergoing a frame-off nut and bolt restoration. It’s being restored completely stock and original including the original 10.5:1 compression ratio. I have however added a tri-power setup, Rally Pac, and cloth convertible top.

The car is almost done and we should have it back within the next month or so. When the car was shipped off my oldest son was just starting high school. He graduates college this year. My wife now regrets not letting me sell the car as the restoration has cost more than our son's college education. She says the car is coming home with a PhD! Needless to say the entire family is anxious for the car to come home.

Below is a link to a photo album of pictures I just received from the restoration shop. Please forgive the "Snow White" reference. Jeff Lilly, who did the restoration, likes to name his projects. I've also attached a link to Jeff's website. It's a very good site and he has a number of interesting projects featured.

Gary

http://homepage.mac.com/gtlord2/PhotoAlbum13.html

http://www.jefflilly.com/

Last edited by glord; January 24th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Your car is drop dead gorgeous! Incredibly well done. Loved the pictures. This is one car I'd be torn between driving on the street, or conceding trailer queen status to.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
car guy

incredible looking car....welcome
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by glord
........ I have however added a tri-power ........
On a '66 Olds, it is "Tri-Carb". On a Pontiac, it is "Tri-Power".

Norm
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, great looking ride. Will you drive it on the street is the question
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Welcome Gary, that is a beautiful job. Are you going to drive it on the street? Where else you would you drive it, in a field? I wouldn't do any off-roading for the first few days at least.
I would just sit in a chair and stare at it, don't want to wrinkle the seat.