Light problems

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Light problems

Ok guys lets see if i can explain this.....When we hook up the battery the light in the glove box comes on and stays on but the glove box is closed hooked any everything but the light is still on anyone got any idea's because we cant seem to track it down Thanks guys for any infomation!
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

The switch is not working. It is supposed to interrupt the hot wire (I think it is the same orange wire as the one for the cigarette lighter) and turn the light off when the door closes. This is called a "normally closed" switch. The switch I am referring to is the little black (maybe chrome) button near one of the corners that is depressed when the door is closed. If you can check that switch with a voltmeter is should show 0 ohms normally and infinite ohms when depressed. Or, just get another from the junk yard. You may even be able to get one at the HELP section in the local auto parts store, but not sure.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:15 AM

The first thing I would look at is the switch that contacts the GB door. If it works when you depress it with your finger, the door itself may not be pushing the plunger in enough to turn off the light.

There was a service bulletin issues for the GTOs that addressed this problem and the "fix" was to remove the switch and use an o-ring as a spacer between the switch and bracket or something like that (I forgot the details)...

Start there and let us know what you find out!
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM

ok kool thanks guys thats going to be my weekend project after i have to work my 4 and 1/2 hours of over time yeah me lol not really!!! Thanks i will let ya know what happenes
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:27 PM

I know this thread is Olds...er I mean old, but I think I found what was draining my battery as well....the glove box light. I have to slam the GB door shut, then the light shuts off. If I close it lightly, the light stays on. Anyone else experienced this? And if so, how did you address? Just keep slamming the door? Or replace the switch? I haven't been on here in a while, good to be back. Thanks - Kevin
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:24 PM

I think the recommendation above still applies. The switch is likely not being depressed far enough to open the contact, so you need some sort of a spacer.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:26 PM

OK, thanks for your input. Appreciate it much.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Administrator

You might try adjusting the catch on the glove box door. If that does not work you can glue a piece of plastic to the door where the switch makes contact so it will push it off.
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:59 PM

I have a '68 442 that didn't come with a glove box light, so I thought I'd install one in it. I went through my stash of '68 GMC pickup parts and came up with one and installed it in the existing hole in the glove box. But the glove box door won't depress the plunger on the glove box light switch, doesn't even come close to hitting it. Did the ones with a glove box light from factory have a different glove box door (which I doubt), or is there a bracket I can install on the door to depress the switch?
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You might try adjusting the catch on the glove box door. If that does not work you can glue a piece of plastic to the door where the switch makes contact so it will push it off.
This still applies to your problem, or the switch is the wrong one for the application.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Does someone have a picture of the correct glove box light switch? My understanding was that there was only one, just a plunger with a light bulb on the end. There must be some little extender that attaches on the glove box door where the arm that keeps the door from opening too far attaches to the door. Or if someone could post a picture of the inside of their glove box door that came with a light, that would be helpful.