Swivel bucket seats

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Swivel bucket seats

Howdy all,
I have a 71 Supreme coupe and have run into a possible set of swivel bucket seats out of a 75 cutlass. Would anyone know off the top of their head if these would bolt up?....or should I be asking more info about the cutlass they are coming from?

Probably not enough info here, will ask the right questions if I knew them but have faith in my fellow Olds lovers.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So, is it fair to assume that your 71 has buckets also? I looked up the Strato bucket seat fitting for 1972 (it should be identical to 71) and the seat appears to be bolted directly to the floor pan. There are 4 "studs" that are welded to the floor pan, you drop the seat track over these and bolt them down.

Unfortunately, there are no measurements in this book so I don't know the spacing. I suggest that you measure the bolt pattern on your 71 buckets (center to center on the bolts; side to side and forward to back) and then see if they line up with the seats you plan to buy.

If you don't have buckets in your car, you're going to have to get the seat anchors welded in. Maybe someone on this site can add to this.

I seriously thought of putting Strato's in my 72, but elected to go with the 4way power seat instead because it's a straight across bolt in. Good luck with your project.

GM states this warning about working on these seats:
SEAT ATTACHING PARTS SUCH AS SEAT ADJUSTER-TO-FLOOR PAN BOLTS OR NUTS, SEAT ADJUSTER-TO SEAT FRAME BOLTS, SEAT BACK LOCK BOLTS, SEAT BACK LOCK STRIKER ETC ARE IMPORTANT ATTACHING PARTS IN THAT THEY COULD AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF VITAL COMPONENTS AND SYSTEMS. THEY MUST BE REPLACED WITH ONE OF THE SAME PART NUMBER OR WITH AN EQUIVALENT PART IF REPPLACEMENT BECOMES NECESSARY. TORQUE VALUES MUST BE USED AS SPECIFIED DURING REASSEMBLY TO ASSURE PROPER RETENTION OF THESE PARTS.
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Allan, thanks for the info and yes, the 71 has buckets. At 6'4" I find it a little difficult getting in/out and feel I'm going to damage the seat at the rate I'm going.
I'll check it out. Thanks again, btw, I'm in Nebraska and I ended an ebay auction locally for the car and it has a Canadian dealership plaque on it.
Thanks again!!
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Past Administrator

I am 6'3'' and put a set of strato buckets into a '69 Delta I had a while back. You should be aware that they do not have adjusting seatbacks (of course) and this limits how you can make your long/tall frame fit into the car, it makes you sit more upright. I ended up with less head room with them than with the original bench seat. Don't know if there will be the same issues with your Cutlass. Also, be sure that as they swivel the seat bottom bolster will not bump into the console (if you have one, if not, no problem). Otherwise, I liked the seats and they really looked good. Good luck with them.
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
same but different

I swapped a set into my car back in the 80's. I robbed them from a 75or76...

I don't remember if I had to drill new holes or not. It wasn't much of a problem as my memory goes I like'd them for awhile, worked good for me.
It actually made sleeping in the car much more comfortable. Turn the seats....sit in the back seat...kick your feet in the front.....and have a little shut eye. That was back when I used to drive it everyday.

The swivlel seats set higher than usual buckets. At 6'4", your head would surely rub the headliner. I'm 5'11, and mine would rub the headliner sometimes.
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Driftr
Howdy all,
I have a 71 Supreme coupe and have run into a possible set of swivel bucket seats out of a 75 cutlass. Would anyone know off the top of their head if these would bolt up?....or should I be asking more info about the cutlass they are coming from?

Probably not enough info here, will ask the right questions if I knew them but have faith in my fellow Olds lovers.
they do not clear top of headliner a chevelle 1968-1972 i do have a set my self need covers
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM

I know of a person that put them into a '69. He is mid 5', and said that they were too tall for him. If you were to modify the base, it would probably work.