Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 California Olds Delmont 88 Convertible

Old May 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM

1968 California Olds Delmont 88 Convertible

Please see attached Craigslist posting for info & pics. $8500. Thanks, Bob

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2356026912.html
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Past Administrator

Nice looking car.
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wasn't that same exact ad posted a few months ago?

- Eric
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks Dan!

Yes, Eric.

I just traded my '69 Olds Cutlass that I had listed on this site with Steve (Uncle Hulka) for the '68 Delmont he had listed as well. I am just trying to get my investment money back. Steve is a great guy and honestly represented this Delmont, it is an awesome car!

Bob
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM

Nice-looking car for a very fair price. It ought to sell quickly. Good luck.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

I met Bob yesterday for the first time. I contacted him after seeing his ad and after exchanging MANY emails and pictures, we agreed to trade our cars. As I had access to a truck and trailer, I would haul my Delmont the 3+hour trip to Bob's house where we would exchange cars.....pending mutual inspection. Bob offered to split the costs with me, which I really appreciated.

Although Bob had been very courteous and seemingly honest, I have to say I was a little concerned about hauling the car that far without either of us seeing the other's car first-hand. We all know that there are a lot of creeps in the world, especially on the internet. Probably because I was doing all the work, I had some some concerns like:

Is this guy serious or a just a tire-kicker, nit-picker or window-shopper?
Is this car going to be as it was presented, or a piece of crap?

What it comes down to is that I was risking a couple hundred dollars that everything would work out as hoped.

The risk turned out to be no risk at all!!!

Bob was the kind of Buyer/Seller/Trader that we would all hope to be dealing with. He not only represented his car accurately, but I think it's actually nicer than I was expecting. Everything he told me about his Cutlass S, both good and bad, was right on the money.

First came his inspection of my car. Bob looked the Delmont over with an experienced eye and had not one criticism to say. On the contrary, he we quite complimentary. After he looked everything over, we took it for a quick test drive. After we returned, we moved on to the Cutlass S inspection.

I've owned a lot of Oldsmobile in my life and know the problem areas of the A- and B-bodies. His Cutlass S was in great, original, unrestored condition. He didn't exaggerate or take any liberties with the truth in his description. This car had clearly lived a well cared-for life. It ran and drove very well and everything felt tight. After I saw everything I needed to see, we basically just looked at each other and said, let's trade.

No B-S, no games, no hand-wringing or foot-shuffling. It was that simple.

Bob explained what his plans are and I understand his reasoning completely. I do hope he and his wife decide to keep her, though. After seeing his absolutely amazing 1969 4-4-2 and the flawless Harley he built, I know that the Delmont wouldn't be in better hands.

Based on my experiences, all I can say is that if Bob is ever selling anything I'm looking at, he can consider it sold.

Thanks for being one of the Good Guys, Bob. I'll share pictures of the Cutlass as I make progress.
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Sold!
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Past Administrator

I hope that all our members will be treating one another in this way in all transactions. Good on both of ya! And glad you sold the Delmont.