Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

SS2 15X7 Trim Rings Needed

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:46 AM
NOVICE car nut

SS2 15X7 Trim Rings Needed

I'm in need of two trim rings for my 15X7 SS2 rims like the ones in picture below . I also need 1 Snap on center cap .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phpYoZwd6PM.jpg (92.0 KB, 484 views)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

If you would like to have (3) extra center caps just in case...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nter-caps.html

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
If you would like to have (3) extra center caps just in case...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nter-caps.html

Those caps are to nice for my rims . I was going to just go with one for now until I decide if I'm keeping these rims in the long run or not . I will definetely buy the ones from you if I decide to keep the rims I have on the car now . The ones you have are real nice .

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 22nd, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM
NOVICE car nut

Anyone know what size trim ring I have ? I noticed there is a couple different sizes offered on CL .
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
NOVICE car nut

Ummmm , how about an manufacturer part number ? Sorry , I'm getting pissed off on E-Bay because people are listing trim rings without listing what make of car it actually fits on .... am I missing something here ? MY KINGDOM FOR TWO TRIM RINGS

edit ... It looks like there are deep dish ones ???? Is this what I want ? I noticed that there was a conversation on OP about this which left me understanding absolutely nothing . Grrrrrrr

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 23rd, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
NOVICE car nut

Will This Help ?

OK , I hope these pictures with measurements will help narrow it down ....

Attached Images
phpJN5BNQAM.jpg (130.9 KB, 439 views)
phpQetgO9AM.jpg (114.2 KB, 436 views)
dfgfg.jpg (102.8 KB, 430 views)
phpLcNm5gAM.jpg (100.6 KB, 432 views)

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 23rd, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/accessories.html

or www.jaeEagle.com
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It's easy to make 500-1000 bucks disappear when restoring these wheels. After sandblasting/powdercoating, finding all new new trim, and tire re- mounting.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
It's easy to make 500-1000 bucks disappear when restoring these wheels. After sandblasting/powdercoating, finding all new new trim, and tire re- mounting.
Thanks ... I'm not going to go through all that . I'm just going to get two trim rings , one cap , and let things be . I noticed that once the trim rings are on and cover up all the scratches the rims look pretty good ....

The trim ring below was the only one I seen for Olds in the link you gave me , and it doesn't list a rim size . It also looks like the middle part runs to steep for my rims . I'm not sure , I may have to call them . Thanks again .

edit .... as a matter of fact there is a difference where the valve stem sticks through too , comparing to the picture of mine that I have above .

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 23rd, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM

Fusick's makes a decent stainless steel reproduction. About $60 a piece, I think. Either 14's or 15's. They're about 3" deep. Also can find some made from chinesium on Ebay, but the profiles vary alot.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
NOVICE car nut

ok it looks like they may have some in the JaeEagle link . I didn't see that one . I would have to buy four , and it would be about a hundred bucks . I was hoping for two used ones for a whole lot cheaper . I may have to wait and get some patience I guess .
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I had 2 at the old shop i worked at and i just left em behind.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I had 2 at the old shop i worked at and i just left em behind.
Thanks .

BTW ... I will let you know what I'm gonna do about the tire situation soon . I'm stuck in a dilema now helping out some chick at my work with her car this weekend . I also have my car to work on at the same time , and now my STUPID wifes car sounds like it has an issue too . I may be fixing cars for awhile ..... yay .
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:14 AM
NOVICE car nut

MY KINGDOM FOR TWO TRIM RINGS ! Actually your gonna have to settle for my apartment lol . Someone said they are the three inch ones ? I'm not sure where that measurement derived from since there is nothing on the trim ring that is three inches that I measured
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:17 AM

You can find so-so trim rings all over for cheap if you're just looking for something to look ok. Do you have swap meets in your area? That's where you'll find lots of cheap parts. (Of course mostly for chevies) Anyway there is a "correct" trim ring specifically for your SSII's but almost any 15" trim ring will work. You can also go to a used hubcap place and get some. I have a 71 Cutlass that I put 15" SSII's on and looked for a set of perfect trim rings to buy, couldn't find or way too pricey. Then over the years I just bought 1 here and there and replaced them as I got better ones. I still go thru all the trim rings at swap meets.... Good luck. Oh you can find caps there too.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
You can find so-so trim rings all over for cheap if you're just looking for something to look ok. Do you have swap meets in your area? That's where you'll find lots of cheap parts. (Of course mostly for chevies) Anyway there is a "correct" trim ring specifically for your SSII's but almost any 15" trim ring will work. You can also go to a used hubcap place and get some. I have a 71 Cutlass that I put 15" SSII's on and looked for a set of perfect trim rings to buy, couldn't find or way too pricey. Then over the years I just bought 1 here and there and replaced them as I got better ones. I still go thru all the trim rings at swap meets.... Good luck. Oh you can find caps there too.
Thanks . I will have to go to the Jefferson swap meet here in Wisconsin this summer . Hopefully I'll find some there . They can be so so , because the ones I do have are not perfect anyways . I looked on the internet and can't find any there except new looking ones that would cost about $100 for two . I probably wont have these rims on this car forever , so I don't need new ones .
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:48 AM
NOVICE car nut

I guess I didn't have it worded right or something . I found these right away this morning , but they're 4 " rings . Will they still work ? It says they are for 15 X 7 rims ....

Old March 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
72 Olds CS

Bryan
I think the size you need is 3". That's how tall the factory ones are.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Actually these look EXACTLY like the ones I have , except these are for 14 " rims to which I can't see them working on my 15 " rims .... or will they ?

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I started a thread here a long time ago about this, it is very difficult to find the "correct" trim ring but as some have mentioned there are numerous ones out there. I do believe 4 inch will be too deep. But in reality any of the 3" or 3.5" will work. yes they have different angles and different valve stem openings (some round some oval) but as you said few will be able to tell the difference once mounted. You should be able to find used ones around you.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
NOVICE car nut

I Found A Set !

I found a set of four for $69 off of E-Bay . It has a return option , but I know these are right . This includes shipping , and they are exactly alike . Polished Steel .
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM

oldsguybry, did you buy those $69 trim rings off ebay? If so were they any good?
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Hoffman2099
oldsguybry, did you buy those $69 trim rings off ebay? If so were they any good?
Yes I bought them , and they look ok , but the metal is thinner , and you can flex them pretty easy compared to the originals . They are also a PITA to put on . I had to bend all the tabs in considerably in order to get them on the rims . I would say you get what you pay for on these .... Other then that they look the same for the most part .
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
72 Olds CS

I bought some similar ones off ebay for about that price. They looked pretty good, fit good, but after some usage developed a slight brownish hue to them like brake dust after you just cleaned them and then drove for 1 day. By themselves they were fine but i then got some OEM ones (40year olds) and next to the OEM ones the ebay ones defintely have a less than great chrome look to them. the OEM chrome is "whiter" if you will.

heres a pic when I first got them ...i cant be sure if they have the brownishh hue in this pic, but they look like a thin brake dust coating that would not clean off.

Attached Images
trim ring bling sm.jpg (82.1 KB, 355 views)
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:57 PM
NOVICE car nut

Yea , I can't imagine the ones I bought would do real great in the long run . Especially if the car was kept outdoors .
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:11 AM

trim rings

Just got new trim rings(from above ebay seller) to put on my newly aquired 15" rims. Seems the rims aren't that deep compared to my original 14" rims. Is this the way its suppose to look? Not really happy with it. Thanks for any replies.
Attached Images
Rim1.jpg (57.4 KB, 76 views)
rim 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 68 views)
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:58 AM
NOVICE car nut

Hey Tom . From what I remember there are different depth rings available . That was one of the problems I had trying to find mine . I had to eyeball pictures of rings online to determine which one I needed . It didn't seem there was any concrete explanation on how to determine which one you needed either . I have the 15 x 7 SSII rims if this helps . The ones I bought are pretty flimsy compared to the originals and they were a PITA to install
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM
72 Olds CS

the ones on my 15x7s are ~3" deep they go right to the rim no gap
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:12 AM

RetroRanger - are they aftermarket trim rings? If so, where did you get them? Thanks
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM
NOVICE car nut

Here's a close up of my rim , let me know if you need anything else ...

Attached Images
phpKMNjjAAM.jpg (81.2 KB, 294 views)
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

More ....

Attached Images
phpVie5DfAM.jpg (97.4 KB, 290 views)
phpvR4nQiAM.jpg (85.7 KB, 291 views)
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:00 PM
72 Olds CS

@tom

The ones in the above pic are ebay ones, I will sell them $50 shipped in the us. They look ok but IMHO they aRe not as nice as the originals. I replaced those w some decent original ones , I like them much better, I'll post a pic of them later, despite having some wear to me the originals just look nicer.

The ones above and the originals go tight to the edge of the d ring there is no gap.
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:30 PM
NOVICE car nut

He's right , the originals are better . The polishing on the ones I bought don't look the same and they are flimsy . Not to mention they were impossible to put on until I bent all the tabs in . I kept two of the original rings on my car because they were in decent shape yet .... from 10ft you can't really tell the difference
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TOM1972
Just got new trim rings(from above ebay seller) to put on my newly aquired 15" rims. Seems the rims aren't that deep compared to my original 14" rims. Is this the way its suppose to look? Not really happy with it. Thanks for any replies.
The ring in your pic look to be the more flat Chevy rally style. The Olds rings have a wider lip and have more of a curve to the large flat area. The rings that RR pictured look a lot more like the Olds originals.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM

Is there anyway to identify the original 15" trim rings? Are there part numbers on them?

I have real trouble paying money for trims rings that chances are they don't look right or should go right into the garbage because they confuse the issue.

I'm assuming they need to 3" deep for a 15x7 is that also correct? Thx.guys.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM
72 Olds CS

heres mine w a factory trim ring.

yes the 15x7 takes a 3" deep ring

Attached Images
ss 3 w factory trim ring.jpg (396.9 KB, 293 views)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:55 AM

the above ebay seller got back to me and said their 15x8 3" rings would fit my rim. Will be returning the ones I got for an exchange. Wil post pics once I get them.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:02 AM
72 Olds CS

Good deal !
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Update. I received the attached trim rings and they look much better. Got them on ebay from Nationwide hubcaps inc. Part # 1515-D3. They list them as 15 x 8 - 3", about $70.
Attached Images
C 406.jpg (29.2 KB, 96 views)

Quick Reply: SS2 15X7 Trim Rings Needed