Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Rims/ tire size

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Rims/ tire size

Hey everyone so I’m 18 and I own a 72 cutlass that was my dads it has the stock rims and wheels but I was wondering what rim size I can do without messing up the transmission and such. The people who work on my car one of em say anything above 20 is gonna mess up my transmission and the other says it’ll be fine you just won’t be able to ride with people In the back and such. Im okay with 20”s but I really wanna get 22”s or 24”s at least. Let me know your thoughts. (And if your “racist” against Donks don’t post because I’m mixed so yea)
Old October 18th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your post to the wheel and tire section. I will say upfront, most on this site do not go into the larger size wheels. I recommend some of the facebook Olds pages as there are quite a few people with similar wheel interests there in your year model. BTW wheel size is not a racist thing its a preference, check your attitude in the lobby.
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Google is going to be your best friend on this inquiry. Nobody on this site is using wheels in the sizes you are looking for, so can't give you an informed opinion. There are a few of us running larger wheel/tire combinations mainly for the performance benefits, but the sweet spot is in the 17" to 18" range. Wheels in the 20-24" range are used for a specific look rather than for performance. I am sure you can do some searching and find guys running very large wheels on either a Cutlass or similar year A-body such as Chevelle or Skylark. The people on this site not responding to your posts isnt due to some sort of prejudice for what you are doing, but we honestly dont have any useful advice to give for your scenario.

The one thing I will advise, though, is if you are adding wheels that large think about upgrading your brakes because those wheels are much heavier and add a lot of rotating mass. As far as the transmission question, as long as your transmission is in good shape now and the engine is stock you should be fine to run those wheels without worrying.
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

WHEEL size is meaningless. What matters is the outside diameter of the TIRE. These cars came from the factory with tires in the 26.5" to 27.5" diameter range. So long as you select tires within that same OD range, it doesn't matter what the wheel diameter is.
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:11 PM

thanks !

thanks for your help it means a lot I really appreciate it
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
WHEEL size is meaningless. What matters is the outside diameter of the TIRE. These cars came from the factory with tires in the 26.5" to 27.5" diameter range. So long as you select tires within that same OD range, it doesn't matter what the wheel diameter is.
Caveat to that is to keep the width and offset reasonable as well and you should be good to go.