Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Balancing issues?

Old August 12th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Balancing issues?

I have several sets of... I will get blasted for this... chrome olds rally wheels... I know they are technically SS2,3,4,5 something’s. I call them rally wheels. Now that the naming discussion is over...

Does anyone have have trouble getting a good balance on the snap on center wheels? I seem to always have a slight vibration.

Old August 12th, 2018, 07:10 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Check the tires for a hop and a wobble. Dont rule out a bad rotor either...or a driveshaft or Ujoints.
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:21 PM

Tires are new, but I know that doesn’t mean much. I was thinking since these wheels are lug centric, that balancing with cones in the center could have something to do with wheel irregularities. Thoughts?
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:20 PM

I remember readings some posts many years ago about issues with balancing the snap-on center cap wheels. As you said, the issue was with the balancing cones not centering the wheels properly on the machine. Unfortunately, I do not remember what the recommended solution to the issue was.
Old August 13th, 2018, 04:12 AM

I bought a set of repop chrome SS3s from Coker for my '68. They came painted like the '69 H/O wheels but with the snap on center caps. The boxes had stickers on them saying that they had to be balanced with the lug centric plates. After we mounted the tires ,just for the hell of it we put one of the big rear ones(15x8 with 275/60s) on the balancer using the centering cones. Wow did it wobble & it was way out of balance! I would have thought the wheels were junk! We put the stud plate on the machine & spun them up again, what a difference. They ran out pretty good.
Old August 13th, 2018, 04:44 AM

I do not know of anyone around here that has the stud plates. Just thinking out loud here... I have a couple 68 front drum brake hub only assemblies. Bolt the wheel to the hubs and balance the whole assembly... would that work... or would the weight of the hubs throw it off...
Old August 13th, 2018, 10:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A good tire tech should know whats going on.
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:55 PM

I've had good luck balancing those with the right size cone on the outside of the rim..
[P.S. I call 'em rally wheels also.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 07:09 AM

SSll balancing

Originally Posted by frankr442
I've had good luck balancing those with the right size cone on the outside of the rim..
[P.S. I call 'em rally wheels also.
would a tire service store like goodyear or firestone be able to balance these wheels?
and can you leave the bolt on center cap on to do this? I assume you might get a better balance result with the cap on.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JoeTee
would a tire service store like goodyear or firestone be able to balance these wheels?
and can you leave the bolt on center cap on to do this? I assume you might get a better balance result with the cap on.
Well, WHICH wheels? The three year old thread you resurrected is talking about SuperStock wheels with snap in centers. Those are lug-centric and require a specific adapter to properly balance. Your second sentence asks about BOLT-ON caps. The bolt-on wheels are hub centric and balance with a normal balancer cone. Since the shaft of the balancer passes through the wheel, yeah, you have to unbolt the cap. Most tire store "technicians" will assume you have snap-in caps and will attempt to pry the caps off, damaging them. Remove them before you get the wheels balanced for safety.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:17 AM

Sorry i didnt specify; the wheels are SSll 14”, and not sure if 6 or7”; they are bolt on caps as far as i can tell, i can reach around and feel the bolts and you can not wiggle them off. I havent tried prying them off, dont want to damage them, and since i can feel the bolts i pretty certain.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:26 AM

Just to be clear, i assume you take the wheels off and then can unbolt the center caps to balance these using a standard cone. More work for a tech but so be it. My initial question was, will balance weights interfere with the trim ring reinstall? Another poster said no, its fine.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry i didnt specify; the wheels are SSll 14”, and not sure if 6 or7”; they are bolt on caps as far as i can tell, i can reach around and feel the bolts and you can not wiggle them off. I havent tried prying them off, dont want to damage them, and since i can feel the bolts i pretty certain.
Sorry, I'm confused. If you can "reach around", can't you just look, or flip the tire around? Or, "reach around" with your cell phone and take a picture. Of course, a photo of the front will tell you if they are bolt in or snap in. The difference is obvious.

Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just to be clear, i assume you take the wheels off and then can unbolt the center caps to balance these using a standard cone.
As answered above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your second sentence asks about BOLT-ON caps. The bolt-on wheels are hub centric and balance with a normal balancer cone.
My initial question was, will balance weights interfere with the trim ring reinstall?
But not the question you asked originally...

Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:53 AM

Wheel cap

There are bolts right behind each wheel bezel opening
Old October 3rd, 2021, 03:18 PM
72 Olds CS

Bolt on
Old October 4th, 2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Bolt on
ThanksRR