Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

What are OEM Tires?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:18 PM

What are OEM Tires?

The question keeps coming up as I restore my 1972 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible - What were the original tires from the factory?

I'm torn between using the OEM bias-ply tires and the radial bias-ply looking reproduction tires. Anyone have any comments on the driving characteristics of the car with bias ply versus radial? I've never driven a car of this era with bias plys (I've driven older cars with them), how bad could it be?
Old July 10th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Go with the radials unless it is a trailer queen. I switched from reproduction bias belted to radials and it is like driving a different car.
Old July 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I drove bias ply tires as a kid and didn't mind them. If the front end is aligned correctly they drive fine. Personally if I'm not going to do a concourse points style resto, I would steer clear of any of the repro tires.
Old July 10th, 2017, 04:04 PM

It is a night and day difference. I have bias ply repro tires on 2 of my cars and another has redline Diamondback radials. There's a big difference. But....the bias ply aren't horrible, they are ok. It depends on the road surface. Your decision mainly lies on if the car is going to be competition or high level judged. My cars are all Nats champs, so not much choice for me. I'd go with the new radial bias ply "looking" RWL tires out now. That's what I will try in the future.
Old July 10th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Olds Fever

Base your decision on the way the vehicle will be used... OEM for show quality and judging... Radials for comfort and a lot of road use...
Old July 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jedrapoport
The question keeps coming up as I restore my 1972 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible - What were the original tires from the factory?
Standard: F78-14 bias ply
Optional: G78-14 and G70-14

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I bought a 72 Monte Carlo new. I think that was the last year cars (most cars anyway) can with bias belted tires. When I replaced then with radials it was like driving a different car. Same thing when I switched from the Coker BF Goodrich reproduction tires on my 54 to American General radials from Coker. They have the correct 2 3/4" whitewall and are made in the USA. There are thousands of cars running repro tires which in my opinion are way better than tires that are made in China these days. Sorry Eric but this is one where we will have to agree to disagree.
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:25 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Bias ply tires tramline like crazy. Modern radials are the best way to go IMO. Ride and handling are day and night.
Old July 10th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I used mostly wider tires and very stout suspensions back then and with proper tire pressures and a good alignment did not experience the issues you guys describe. I ran bias ply all the way through the 80's on my old cars.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Mostly you are saying exactly what I was thinking. My car is just emerging from a 3 year total restoration to almost perfect. But, when I'm done showing the car I'm going to drive it. My cars go from trailer Queen to road King. I was leaning toward doing the Coker Firestone Wide-Oval radial but after waiting for 3 months they still don't have the tires in stock and my car is ready for tires at the end of this month.

The only alternative I'm seeing in the correct size is the Goodrich TA radial but that is a more modern tire and lacks the period look. I've toyed with going with the Firestone Wide-Oval bias ply or Goodyear Polyglas as an alternative. My restorer said that for the amount I would drive it he didn't think the bias plys would make all that much difference. I couldn't imagine putting more than 2-3000 miles per year on the car and more likely less.

Does any of that change anyones opinions?
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I used mostly wider tires and very stout suspensions back then and with proper tire pressures and a good alignment did not experience the issues you guys describe. I ran bias ply all the way through the 80's on my old cars.
Pretty much what my restorer said to me. Thank you.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I bought a 72 Monte Carlo new. I think that was the last year cars (most cars anyway) can with bias belted tires. When I replaced then with radials it was like driving a different car. Same thing when I switched from the Coker BF Goodrich reproduction tires on my 54 to American General radials from Coker. They have the correct 2 3/4" whitewall and are made in the USA. There are thousands of cars running repro tires which in my opinion are way better than tires that are made in China these days. Sorry Eric but this is one where we will have to agree to disagree.
I have a 1954 Lincoln that was switched from bias ply to Diamondback radials. It was like a night and day change but these 50's cars have less sophisticated suspension and steering. I didn't consider my previous experience to be a good measure for the 442.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It is a night and day difference. I have bias ply repro tires on 2 of my cars and another has redline Diamondback radials. There's a big difference. But....the bias ply aren't horrible, they are ok. It depends on the road surface. Your decision mainly lies on if the car is going to be competition or high level judged. My cars are all Nats champs, so not much choice for me. I'd go with the new radial bias ply "looking" RWL tires out now. That's what I will try in the future.
I want to do the radial bias ply look tires but after months of waiting they still don't have the correct size in stock. My car will be done next month and is scheduled for its first Concours in September. I have about 1 month to resolve the tire issue. I'm going to hold out as long as possible and hope the correct tires arrive at Coker but I'm considering my alternatives.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:33 AM

Bias-ply are great tires for people scared of actually driving the car- you know- trailer queens and owners more concerned about frame standings and chalk marks than actually driving it
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
Bias-ply are great tires for people scared of actually driving the car- you know- trailer queens and owners more concerned about frame standings and chalk marks than actually driving it
lol, I did the nut and bolt and chalk mark thing and then used radials. Boy did I get hammered for that decision. If I had to do it over, I would go with the radials again.
My car will be gone next week but sure glad I drove it the 800 miles I did.
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:25 AM
delete

I have G70-14 Wide Ovals on my car. I like them better on the highways than around town. Around town they don't take a lot to get them squealing. Look great but I'm thinking about saving them for show duty & getting a set of radials to dive around on a regular basis
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
That's a bunch of bullcrap. I just DROVE my 1970 GS 455 from Providence RI to the Hemmings Cruise-in in VT. Up the Mohawk trail, around the world famous hairpin curve...4 hours each way. I wiped the bugs off and took Best GM there. It will be pictured in Hemmings. Guess what? I did it on Goodyear Polyglass bias-ply tires!!!! Actually, this cuts both ways. I learned how to drive on bias ply tires, I raced on them for years. You could say that radials are like "training wheels" for people that are afraid of their old cars, and can't handle them. When's the last time you drove your old car on radials for 8 hours in a day? Wanna' see a pic of my award?

Last edited by mrolds69; July 11th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:44 AM

If it's show car only and that's the game you play and you are concerned about the points you will lose go the bias ply rout. But if your car is a traveler and you like to check out the scenery around you at 75 miles a hour go with the radials. We use to call bias ply tires IFG tires (I follow groves) and it will get tiresome and beat you down on a long trip. Been there done that. My car is a road warrior and has seen many 3000 + mile trips have no idea how many hours that is, love my radials and I plan on one more concours event this year, I'll take the hit on points.... Tedd
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
That's a bunch of bullcrap. I just DROVE my 1970 GS 455 from Providence RI to the Hemmings Cruise-in in VT. Up the Mohawk trail, around the world famous hairpin curve...4 hours each way. I wiped the bugs off and took Best GM there. It will be pictured in Hemmings. Guess what? I did it on Goodyear Polyglass bias-ply tires!!!! Actually, this cuts both ways. I learned how to drive on bias ply tires, I raced on them for years. You could say that radials are like "training wheels" for people that are afraid of their old cars, and can't handle them. When's the last time you drove your old car on radials for 8 hours in a day? Wanna' see a pic of my award?
Lol, I hear you. I have driven thousands of miles on 1950's and older cars with Bias ply tires. I know exactly what it feels like and that it is part of the experience of old cars. I was jus t unsure of any difference for a car of this era but the comments lead me to believe I have nothing to fear from putting the bias plys on the car.

Congrats on the win.
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
lol, I did the nut and bolt and chalk mark thing and then used radials. Boy did I get hammered for that decision. If I had to do it over, I would go with the radials again.
My car will be gone next week but sure glad I drove it the 800 miles I did.
I definitely want to put more than 800 miles on my car. I did stop short of doing the chalk marks and paint marks, otherwise the car is about perfect. It is way better than when it left the factory and I do have some problems with the "over restoration" but the car was real bad and we had to do everything anyway. This is what happens when sentimentality gets involved, this was my Father's car in 1975 and again in 1978.

Thanks for the feedback.