Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

New Member - 66 Vista Cruiser - Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:04 AM

New Member - 66 Vista Cruiser - Wheel Question

Hello all,

New member here who just got a '66 Vista Cruiser. As someone who has mostly Chevy experience, I will undoubtedly have more questions in the future, but let's start with wheels.

Im doing a full brake and suspension upgrade on the Vista Cruiser: Disc brakes on all four corners, hydroboost, and lowering the car 2". I need to get 15" wheels to fit the discs and thinking OE style wheels to be able to do both dog dish or full hubcaps (keeping it sleeper / stock looking).

My question is backspace and tire size. Thinking of going 15x8 all around. With the 2" drop, what do you think is a good tire / backspace combo? 255 rear / 235 front? 4.5" backspace? 5" backspace?

The car has a stock rear axle.

Thanks in advance and if any of you are in NorCal, let's meet at a future C&C or local show.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by withayou
Hello all,

New member here who just got a '66 Vista Cruiser. As someone who has mostly Chevy experience, I will undoubtedly have more questions in the future, but let's start with wheels.

Im doing a full brake and suspension upgrade on the Vista Cruiser: Disc brakes on all four corners, hydroboost, and lowering the car 2". I need to get 15" wheels to fit the discs and thinking OE style wheels to be able to do both dog dish or full hubcaps (keeping it sleeper / stock looking).

My question is backspace and tire size. Thinking of going 15x8 all around. With the 2" drop, what do you think is a good tire / backspace combo? 255 rear / 235 front? 4.5" backspace? 5" backspace?

The car has a stock rear axle.

Thanks in advance and if any of you are in NorCal, let's meet at a future C&C or local show.
You want wheels with zero OFFSET. Do the math and you get about 3.75" backspace for 7" wide wheels and about 4.25" backspace for 8" wide wheels. 235 tires only need 7" wide wheels on the front.
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You want wheels with zero OFFSET. Do the math and you get about 3.75" backspace for 7" wide wheels and about 4.25" backspace for 8" wide wheels. 235 tires only need 7" wide wheels on the front.
Thanks for the quick response. Wheel Vintiques sells these affordable OE style wheels at 15x8 w/ 4.25" backspacing ( https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html ) . You feel like I could run these all the way around with 235/60 up front and 255/60 rears and the 2" drop? They do not make a 15x7 with anything other than 4.25" backspacing (I could always order custom backspaced fronts if you think it'd make the difference).
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by withayou
Thanks for the quick response. Wheel Vintiques sells these affordable OE style wheels at 15x8 w/ 4.25" backspacing ( https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html ) . You feel like I could run these all the way around with 235/60 up front and 255/60 rears and the 2" drop? They do not make a 15x7 with anything other than 4.25" backspacing (I could always order custom backspaced fronts if you think it'd make the difference).
Stock 15x7s with correct backspace and the 4.75" bolt pattern should be readily available used. GM put them on millions of cars from the 1960s to the 1990s.