Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Unilug wheels generally

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:25 AM

Unilug wheels generally

Throwing out some notices, and questions. Please free to comment.

I have Cragar Keystones, unilug wheels. When ordered, i knew they are unilugs, and kinda quessed they are pita to assemble.
I wasnt really impressed about the system, nor the quality of spacer-plates. Sure, they had round holes, and in my case, in middle of the spacer-plate, but spacer-plates werent really an tight fit to machined Groove on rim where they sunk, they had some play sideways on it.

Fastforwarding-> Ive noticed that going through the tire-bolts every now and then with torque wrench, they come a bit loose after a while.
Also, today when i adjusted my rear brakes closer together due to not passing yearly inspection for that sole reason, i also noticed that the holes on spacer-plates have started to go bit out of round.

Personally, im not overly impressed with that system. Id like to know am i doing something wrong? Ive never ever before havent had an problem for example on bolts coming looser a bit as miles count up. They are balanced ( saw it, they are balanced really well) and straight, no hits anywhere.

Or is that just unilug wheels nature? Even they look Super cool in my mind, some part on my brain wants to ditch them for something with true bolt-fit, not an unilug wheel.

Thoughts, experiences, ideas?

Last edited by Inline; April 3rd, 2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:43 AM

It's too easy to order wheels in the size and bolt pattern you need. I've never been a fan of uni-lug wheels or bolt pattern adapters. FWIW, I've never had to re-torque my lug nuts unless I remove the wheel for some reason.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:52 AM

Too bad Keystones were, and still seems to be available only as unilug-style.
If they would have been available with specific bolt-pattern, of course i would had ordered them that way.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:55 AM

That's a bummer that the Keystones are only available as uni-lug. They are pretty cool.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:12 AM

I had the same experience with new uni-lugs back in 1974. If you do decide to give them another chance, make sue you replace ALL of the bolts on any wheel that has broken one. They seem to really weaken the others. Of course it didn't help that the installer over torqued them in the first place.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I've never like unilug wheels just for that reason. However, I will add that all aluminum wheels should be retightened after a few hundred miles.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Olds Fever

I currently use ET Uni-Lug wheels on both my 66 442 and my 85 Cutlass and never have had a problem... The design of the ET Uni-Lug is somewhat different then the Cragar/Keystone design in that an Oval washer is used for the wheel pattern required and is actually recessed into the wheel... The lug nut used is an acorn design with a short shank and seats the wheel with no problems... Not sure these wheels are easily obtainable, but they do work great if you wish to interchange from vehicle to vehicle... I've used my wheels on 4 1/2, 4 3/4, & 5 inch bolt patterns...