Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

will these fit

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Recovering Import Driver

will these fit

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a "will these fit" question of my own Yes, I've searched...and yes, I've preemptively put on my flame suit (this could get controversial for some).

To anyone that's fit some real width up front on a 70-72...how little backspace can one get away with up front?

I'm eyeing a set of 15x8 wheels with an effective backspace of 3.25" (roughly -32mm offset). I say "effective backspace" because the wheels are only available in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern with 0 offset; a 5x4.75 to 5x4.5 adapter is 1.25" thick. For tires, nothing crazy, likely 245/60R15.

I'd have loads of room on the inboard side of the wheel, but will I contact the fender or fender liner when steering, or under compression? I just worry that with our wonderful positive camber curve, the top of the tire would pitch outward into the fender under compression. I know some folks have put 9" wide wheels up front with, I'd assume, close to a 0 offset...the wheels I'm looking at would stick out an additional 3/4" from that. Pipe dream, or possible?
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kevin11
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a "will these fit" question of my own...
Yet you did anyway. I moved your post to its own thread and will let others chime in on your size. In the meantime, read the link below:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-yours-105914/
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:23 AM
Recovering Import Driver

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yet you did anyway. I moved your post to its own thread and will let others chime in on your size. In the meantime, read the link below:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-yours-105914/
Thanks, Eric. I've come from a number of other forums where the push is to use/send traffic to existing threads as opposed to making new ones for the same/similar questions...so I apologize if my asking in Darkalley's thread was not the right way to go...no offense intended!

And regarding the thread you referenced, don't worry...I've POURED over that many, many times I've written out with a ruler on paper, marking wheel widths, centerlines, backspaces, etc. to see if any of the fitments presented there (and in other folks' threads who haven't posed there) approach the setup I'm asking about. But thanks for the call-out, it's a great resource for sure!