Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

help...suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM

help...suspension issues

Hello, I'm finally at the finish line with my 67 cutlass 442 rebuild and the front tires rub the inner fender molding over small bumps and when turning. I replaced the brake drums with an aftermarket disk brake kit with spindles that dropped it an inch, I have 15 inch rims with 225 60's and new heavy duty coil springs from a 68 cutlass 455 w/ac. It did not raise the car at all. Any ideas? I'm trying to attach a photo...let's see if i figured it out, lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mi67olds; May 18th, 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed photo info
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM

When u say new springs from a 68 that sounds like an oxymoron. Are the springs used have they been holding up the 68 for 42 years? If so they are probably compressed. Your tires are slightly smaller in diameter then what I think originally came with the car (G-70) so it might be the width of the tire which if I read the charts correctly is over an inch and a half wider.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM

I think the backspacing of your wheels is what's causing the problem, which is made worse by the fact you used drop spindles.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
When u say new springs from a 68 that sounds like an oxymoron. Are the springs used have they been holding up the 68 for 42 years? If so they are probably compressed. Your tires are slightly smaller in diameter then what I think originally came with the car (G-70) so it might be the width of the tire which if I read the charts correctly is over an inch and a half wider.
Hi and thanks for the reply. The springs are new from Summit Racing, heavy duty. I added 1" rubber coil insulators temporarily, just so I can drive it. I'm waiting for my special order 3" lift coil springs to arrive. I like the look of fat tires, makes it look mean.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mi67olds
Hi and thanks for the reply. The springs are new from Summit Racing, heavy duty. I added 1" rubber coil insulators temporarily, just so I can drive it. I'm waiting for my special order 3" lift coil springs to arrive. I like the look of fat tires, makes it look mean.

You used DROPPED spindles AND 3" lifted coils? Do you like spending money you don't need to?

First, from the photo, it's pretty obvious that the problem is excessive offset on those wheels. How much space is there on the INSIDE of the fenderwell when you turn the wheels? You need to get the correct offset wheels for your car. The next suggestion is to sell the dropped spindles and oversize springs and just get stock disk brake spindles and stock springs. Sorry for the bluntness, but your combination of parts makes no sense.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

You used DROPPED spindles AND 3" lifted coils? Do you like spending money you don't need to?

First, from the photo, it's pretty obvious that the problem is excessive offset on those wheels. How much space is there on the INSIDE of the fenderwell when you turn the wheels? You need to get the correct offset wheels for your car. The next suggestion is to sell the dropped spindles and oversize springs and just get stock disk brake spindles and stock springs. Sorry for the bluntness, but your combination of parts makes no sense.
I'm new to posting on sites and obviously not explaining well. When I ordered the disk brake conversion kit I was told that it was an exact fit and no alterations needed. It is not a dropped kit. I agree, that would have been a waste of money knowing how I wanted the car to sit. I could have replaced the wheels and tires with the correct size but decided not to.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM

front coils for 68-72 have a square end meaning the coils are flattened for the cup in the frame (to hold the top of the spring). 64-7 do not have this type of frame cup; they are designed for tangential ends top and bottom, meaning the coil is round at the end. you should use the correct springs and be sure the end of the coil is at the end of the cup in the frame at the top).