My 70 Flattop(w-31) project

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM

My 70 Flattop(w-31) project

Thought I would post a couple pics of my wagon. It is going to be a wagon version of my W-31!

Old December 10th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

Pretty nice, did you apply the stripes?
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Nice job
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Nice car! there's not enough of these wagons left! I've got a 1971 that I've daydreamed about building the same way, just haven't had the time. John
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Phaty-boom-battiy!
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM

cool. I really like the wagons as well, nothing like the old family car with some a** kickin' attiude, keep us posted!
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Pretty nice, did you apply the stripes?
No, I actually bought the car this way except for the wheels and tires! It had SSII's w/whitewalls and that just didn't work for me. Those are actually 15x8 w/295-50 on the rear.

The story with this car is I decided to look for a 70 flattop to make a copy of my W-31. I wanted non-A/C so it would not have any dash vent holes, a gold one if possible because my W-31 is gold, a 350 car(been awesome if it had been a 4 speed), and of course, a car in very good condition. I had only looked for a month or two and this one popped up in HURST, Texas! I couldn't beleive it! The car was everything I was looking for and more!
The guy had already put the hood on it, and did a quickie job on the stripes! He had already rebuilt the motor with the Edelbrock performer rpm package and did it exactly like they did when they made 397 HP and 400 ft.lbs. He also completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension w/boxed control arms in the rear and huge aftermarket sway bars front and rear, and new performance shocks on the front and air shocks on the rear for towing! The car runs great and handles better than I could have hoped for! He put buckets in it but I have a 4 door Cutlass and I am going to recover that bench seat and put it into the wagon. It even has a class 3 heavy duty hitch on it so I can actually hook a trailer up to it and haul my W-31! I would not tow long distance, it would be more for the look! Eventually, I will probably drive them both, with the trailer on the wagon, and load the W-31 on the trailer a short distance away and drive into the show looking like I towed it there all the way with thw wagon! I figure everybody would get a big kick out of it, especially at an Oldsmobile show!
It will be many years before I have both cars restored to take to shows but I have them and that is half the battle! Now if I can just win the lottery, I can get these done while I can enjoy them!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Nice find, add pictures of your other car as well. We love purty pictures
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
69CuttyS

Cool car, and great ideas. Can you tell us about how much you paid for it? I'd like an Olds wagon too, but can't really pin down what they're worth.
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

That should be really cool, sounds like a good plan.
The matching car and tow vehicle is cool, it would make for an impressive entrance at shows.
A lot of guys trailer their cars then unload around the block and pretend they drove them to shows so they aren't called trailer queens.

Originally Posted by orange442
Eventually, I will probably drive them both, with the trailer on the wagon, and load the W-31 on the trailer a short distance away and drive into the show looking like I towed it there all the way with thw wagon!
I have to ask, how do you drive both cars at once?
I know you could do it but wouldn't it get tiring going back and forth between the two cars?

Allan
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Very nice. Lots of potential there! Always been a wagon fan. My wife keeps hounding me for an SUV, and I keep telling her the wagons are gonna come back in style! Of course then I get "the look".

But I know I sure would have loved to have been picked up from school in a ride like that when I was a kid!
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by amh555
I have to ask, how do you drive both cars at once?
I know you could do it but wouldn't it get tiring going back and forth between the two cars?

Allan
I'm fat, I need the exercise!!
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM

That's sweet! Reminds me of mine, with a little more in the back!
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Nice Flat top!

I really like your Cutlass wagon-it reminds me of one I used to have! Actually, it is the one I used to own--I sold it to you! I really like what you did with the wheels--nice and beefy looking. I sure would appreciate it if you would send my gauges back that I "loaned" you when you bought the car from me. You said you wanted to keep them in the car until you had driven it to make sure that the engine was good, then you would remove them and send them back to me. I agreed because you seemed nice and I trusted you. I can tell from your many posts on the different olds sites that you are a knowledgeable guy and a man of your word. With all the cars you and your father have, you must have another set of gauges or original rally type gauges you can put in the wagon so you can send my gauges back to me like you said you would do--when you bought my wagon, which was quite awhile ago. Thanks---Steve