Go big or go home.

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Go big or go home.

When I bought my '81 Custom Cruiser, I knew a tranny rebuild was on the horizon. Well that horizon is approaching fast. Rebuilding the th-350C that's in it isn't rocket science. I fully intend to do the work myself. Not the first slush box I've fondled the innards of. But ... while the trans is on the bench, my ride is on blocks. And that, I don't like. So I've been watching Kijiji and Craigslist (and their french counterparts) for a serviceable core that I can rebuild in advance.

Well ... I found a low mileage transmission (with shift kit) off a 455 going for $100 negotiable. Guy's not certain if it's the th-350 or 400. Doesn't have the wherewithall to send pics either. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission/...ile/1042345841

Now, he's a little out of the way, across one of Montreal's damnable bridges. But he's also clearing the garage and wants the space back, and he recontacted me so I know I'm the only bite he's had .. so I expect I can get it cheap ... whatever it might turn out to be. I'm waiting on a reply as to the length and whatever numbers he can find on it. The question I have for the folks here (who I know are all super geniuses) is what's the length of the th-350 factory that I've got (with all the slush and crap out there, going under the car to measure isn't an option .. yech) and what are the possibilities of sneaking a short tail TH-400 in it's place? Welding up a new cross member is within my abilities, as it drilling new holes if need be to move the old one back.

Rebuilding the 307 under the hood was never in my plans. The day it goes south, it goes alone. Something with a little more oomph is gonna take it's place. Rebuilt 350s are only $1700 or so. But if a th-400 was sitting quietly behind it ... that 350sbo might just grow up a little into something with a 4 in front of it.

I anxiously await your thoughts, opinions and wisdom.

BTW, if I can't use it, I'll probably grab it anyhow and put it up here in case it's useful to someone else. Details as they come in.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Administrator

If he can take a pic of the pan and the bell housing (to ensure it's a BOP), you'd know in a heart beat. Hard to believe in this day and age one cannot email a picture.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:53 AM

I don't own a cell phone for regular use either. I have one I bought in the states 10 years back that I'll reactivate when I'm south for any time, but that's it. And it doesn't have a camera. And while I have a digital camera, if I'm taking pictures, I still prefer to use my old 35mm SLR.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

The only automatic used behind a 455 from the factory was the TH400. Unless it's from an A-body, it will be a long tail. This raises two problems for you.

First, the TH400 mounting pad is further back from the bellhousing than on lesser GM transmissions - it's actually in the same place as on the 200-4R. The problem is that the 1977-1990 cars used different crossmembers for the TH350 and 200-4R transmissions. Unlike on older cars, you can't simply slide the crossmember back on the frame. You'll need a 200-4R crossmember to support the TH400.

Yes, I have a couple from the parts wagons...

Second, the driveshaft needs to be shortened, as the trans (with either tailhousing length) is longer than your TH350.

Personally, I'd go with a 200-4R over the TH400 in this car.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:36 AM

I actually have a big car 200-4r in the shed waiting for a rebuild. It was meant for the parisienne, but the rear gearing nixed that idea and I just rebuilt the 200C that was already back there. Just can't seem to find the time anymore.

I expect you and I are going to have to have a long conversation sooner or later about those parts wagons.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Go big or go home seems like the girls I have been dating lately. I think I have back problems now.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:17 PM

Well, he sent me a one sentence email a little bit ago .... the tail is 6". I'll call him tomorrow morning to see if that's really all he has, but it looks like I'm in business.
Old February 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM

And it's painted blue. Joy.

27n176726 partial vin, 8640399 casting no all on the driver's side. nada on the other side. Might be something on the pan, but it's full of oil and bench pressing it over my head to look isn't happening today.

Found it. J7B25N MA7

Last edited by Professur; February 7th, 2015 at 02:21 PM.