89 custom cruiser stereo

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2013, 09:27 PM

89 custom cruiser stereo

Would like to update stereo does anyone know what will fit, is it 1.5 din?does anyone have photos of their head units?
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by rogergoogoo2
Would like to update stereo does anyone know what will fit, is it 1.5 din?does anyone have photos of their head units?
Best I can say is probably.

I would say there is quite a bit of room in there, but you'll want to measure twice and cut once.

Mine is wearing a Pioneer Premier standard sized head unit, I didn't want to go super wild on this one...
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM

Go to crutchfield.com, select "Car Audio, Video, and GPS" at the top, select "Find What Fits Your Car", and make the appropriate selections for your vehicle. You'll see that a lot of modern radios will fit your car. If you have a 1.5 DIN opening, then, obviously, anything that size will fit. If you want a smaller, single-DIN radio, you can get a kit that will fill the remaining space with a trim piece or a small cubby or something like that. Crutchfield sells the kits along with the radio that will allow you to replace the radio and give the whole thing a nice, factory look. Best Buy and other places sell these kits, too, but the nice thing about Crutchfield is that they usually give you these kits for free if you buy the radio.
Old December 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rogergoogoo2
does anyone have photos of their head units?
There's got to be an Anthony Weiner joke in there somewhere...
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Have heard that older 1.5 din pioneer and alpine units fill stock opening without altering dash or using adapter to fill open space, does anyone have photos or experience with these type units?
Old December 15th, 2013, 11:03 AM

A couple of comments.

1. NO aftermarket radio will require altering the dash (cutting into it or whatever). If it's a single-DIN, 1.5 DIN, or double-DIN opening, current radios can fit, and adapters are available as part of the installation kit depending on the size of the radio relative to the size of the opening, such as putting a single-DIN radio in a 1.5 or larger opening.

2. What difference does it make whether it's Alpine, Pioneer, or any other 1.5 DIN radio? What matters is what DIN size it is. ANY 1.5 DIN radio should fit. That's whole point of the DIN standard. Any 1.5 DIN radio should fit in any 1.5 DIN opening.

Websites like Crutchfield go to great lengths with their "what fits my car" sizing feature just so people don't pick the wrong radio and don't have trouble with the installation and so Crutchfield doesn't have to deal with returns.

As I said earlier, just go on their website, put in your vehicle's info, pick one that they say will fit, get the free installation kit that goes with it (and the free shipping), put it in your car, and enjoy your new radio.
Old December 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Also, Crutchfield usually includes, as part of the installation kit, instructions on how to disassemble the dash to get your old radio out. I've bought from there many times for cars of model years from the early '90s right through to today and never had a problem.
Old December 15th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Crutchfield makes an adapter for car, however the stereo will protrude 1/2 inch out of dash, they do not carry any 1.5 din units which was stock size for this car, really trying to find someone who has upgraded their stereo while maintaining as much stock look as possible, 1.5 din has less depth according to Crutchfield
Old December 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Metra sells a pretty comprehensive adapter kit for the GM 1.5 DIN openings. Most of the adapters are designed to mount a 1 DIN stereo in that opening, however. Retrosound now sells a 1.5 DIN stereo that has USB and MP3 ports on the front face. Not particularly attractive, but it's easy to install.

Here's a list of available 1.5 DIN stereos:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/home.php?cat=339
Old December 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks Joe, retrosound unit looks like what I'm looking for, merry Christmas!
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:11 AM

The DEH-P7(4-7)DH series should work nicely. I have the DEH77DH in both of my cars and they replaced the stock 1 1/2 DIN radios perfectly. I like the DEH-77DH because it has a manual **** to adjust the volume. There is a similar one with an electronic volume adjustment. I did have to shim them a little from the bottom, and your installation may be a little different from mine, but the fill the opening exactly. You can find them on ebay, and if you are patient, you can get them for under $75. They are an exceptionally nice unit, and I like mine. They have an available remote, that came with one of the units I bought. You do need an adapter cable for both the wiring and the antenna. I have some extra antenna adapters for $6 each shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-DEH-...item3cdae10e4c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-DEH-...item2eccfc6aac
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM

Hi,

Further to comments on replacing radios in a Custom Cruiser, I wanted to put in a GM radio/cassette/CD without any security so to avoid any plug and play problems with used ones

I had come across a Buick/Oldsmobile unit and wanted to learn if it would be compatible?

I think its GM part number 10325413

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUICK-Rega...item25856d9121

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers.
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by fennjones
Hi,

Further to comments on replacing radios in a Custom Cruiser, I wanted to put in a GM radio/cassette/CD without any security so to avoid any plug and play problems with used ones

I had come across a Buick/Oldsmobile unit and wanted to learn if it would be compatible?

I think its GM part number 10325413

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUICK-Rega...item25856d9121

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers.
I think that might be a double DIN unit.

Doubt it would work ... as the 1.5 DIN's just about fit as it is.

Can't see any details on how the side brackets attach either ... even if there was enough room (again highly doubtful).

Any newer GM radio will probably require some plug/wiring changes as well.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Hi Ratpack,

Are you saying that the unit is double din but the existing unit is only 1.5 din and wont fit?

I've attached photos of both.

Thank you.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oldsmobile Radio Cassette.jpg (84.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg
Radio Cassette CD.jpg (38.0 KB, 7 views)
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by fennjones

Are you saying that the unit is double din but the existing unit is only 1.5 din and wont fit?

I've attached photos of both.

Thank you.

Cheers
Again not 100% certain the unit you were looking at is in fact a double DIN ... but I do believe it is.

Double check the vehicles listed in the auction at a site like Crutchfield's.
(which I think I may have done before)

The 88-90 CCSW's are indeed 100% DIN 1.5's.

As you can clearly see from your dash pic ... those DIN 1.5's just barely fit in there.

Old February 21st, 2014, 03:05 AM

Oh Bu@@%&,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Glad I didn't buy another unit.

I guess I'll have to continue to use my old cassette adaptor and ipod thingy.

cheers.