The one that matters most.

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM

The one that matters most.

Tonight I'm a little emotional.
I just received an email with a picture of my original wagon.
I actually sobbed for 15 minutes.
After the car was gone (totalled by a drunk driver) I tried to find other cars to take it's place and while I came very close the viewing of this picture tells me this was 'the one that got away'.
A few others were right about as meaningful but I never realized just how much the car meant to me.
I was 16 years old when it was handed down to me back in 1979.
I reinstalled the rebuilt heads my brother gave to me along with the car.
He moved on to a 70 Buick GS and he gave me the wagon that my father had given to him.
I finished putting together the motor and needed no instruction.
I had love for the car at first sight and detail painted the motor.
I went to a high school that was a vocational school where my trade class was autobody.
I did the bodywork and paint in a friends driveway.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
I remember everday of owning this car like it was yesterday.
The friends and girlfriend ,, having a whole life in front of you ,, it's too much to describe.
It was Thanksgiving 1980 and I had just recorded Tom Petty onto an 8-track tape and decided to take a little cruise to listen to the motivational tune while cruising and then smash! .. she got hit by the intoxicated woman from out of nowhere.
Memories flood my mind when I look at the picture.
Not seeing this photo for 30+ years and them seeing it again it's truely awesome.
It's weird but my life seems to have come full circle seeing this picture and I feel ok...yeah ... I feel ok.
If a car you owned was as special as this car was for me, please share your story.

photo.jpg

This is my current and 3rd wagon - 1972 Cutlass - I restored this for the past 3 or 4 years.
It too is a labor of love, but again.. the memories from my 1980 are beyond wonderful.
P3160434.jpg
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What to say.....Hope you are ok. Sentimental attachment is more than just the car; it also shares the emotions and occasions you shared with it.

The 72 is a beautiful car. You've done a fantastic job with that flattop. With the luggage rack on top it sort of camoflauges the lack of vista roof. I had to do a double take.

Don't lose your memories, just keep them in a safe place to share when you want to.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's why I never sold my Chevelle.
Rusted out wreck though it may be, when I sit down in it, it's like I'm right back in 1980.
I can still see the places where my girlfriend wrote her name in the mist inside the windows... just before her father caught us (really - no kidding ).

One day I'll restore it... but not too much - I don't want it to lose its character.

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM

Thank-you Allan
And don't feel too bad for the 72' --
I get more thumbs up than you can imagine
The flattop was an intentional purchase as I feel they make better looking 442 wagons than the Vistas. IMHO
I sold my Mint condition Vista for the gigantic project of the flattop.
And as you see my first wagon was also a flattop so its more normal to me than the Vista.
I get a kick out of people at cruise nites that say to me..Hey.. did you know they made a version of this wagon with a glass roof. LOL... as if like I don't know.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM

Eric, THATS what cars are all about friend. The character is a lot of it.
If I were you I may want to be burried in it.. yes ..no ..maybe .. ?
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Depending on how the economy ends up, it may be all I have when I'm buried.

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM

I'm restoring my cutlass so i can give it to my old man.

It was his first brand new car in '72. Bamboo yellow with saddle brown interior.

He's talked about the car ever since i was a kid. And since i've gotten fed up of him 'just' talking about it, i'm working on restoring one, hopefully he'll like the surprise!

I'm sure i have a picture of it somewhere...
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM

I know exactly how you feel - wish you still had that old wagon... Sorry to hear about its loss - I take it there was just no way to fix it. BTW, that yellow wagon looks sweet! Hope you make some fond memories with that one and keep it a long time!

My emotional ties to things is probably just as strong, or stronger. I never parted with my two first cars, the 78 Pinto and the 86 Cutlass. No resto will be done to them - just kept as good running survivors. The Pinto was hit in 1992 and totalled, but it took 500 bucks to fix it, so i did just that - still going strong!

There are still small items in both cars dating back to the early 90's when i learned to drive. In fact the 86 still has a paper crane on the rear deck that my first girlfriend made for me before we steamed the windows up at the lake one winter evening in 1994 or before. I think there is a makeup pencil in the glovebox that she left, too, along with love song cassettes.
I keep thinking about selling the 86 due to lack of use but just cannot do it.
The Pinto is my daily driver in cooler weather (no AC). In a way I feel just like in my childhood when I drive it, but in a way, nothing special at all because I am so used to it. Lots of fun to drive - quiet, reliable, no rattles, good handling - they were good cars!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM

My high school ride was a 53 Hudson Hornet, dual carbs and a back seat that would embarrass Hue Heffner. It's a good thing cars cant talk. It wasn't the hot rod stylish type car some of my friends had but when we wanted to go some where distant it was the ride if choice. I lost a valve seat in it and sold it for what it cost to rebuild a transmission, God I wish I still had that upside down bathtub back again ,what a cruiser it would make to day.....Tedd
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM

I think there's a little of your story in all of us. I'm restoring my Dad's 73. Learned how to drive in this car and then some. If it wasn't for sentimental value some of these cars would have never been saved. Especially the ones exposed to the yearly winter conditions.

1973 Cutlass S
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:51 PM

What a wonderful story. So many of us can relate to the memories an old car/their first car can have for them. When my '70 Vista finally succumbed to rust, I was never satisfied until I had another one. The '70 still sits in a field, all these years later so far as I know. In the process of putting together a story of the Vista cruisers in my life now actually. It is kinds long so far, but maybe it will be posted in the forum some day if there is a section for this. The yellow Flat Top is a very nice looking ride too by the way. Howie
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM

cool story, awesome 72, I love the flat tops as much as a Vista - and I love the Hotwheels logo.

Take a look at my avitar, that's my 72 Supreme I got from my sister when I was 17. back then you couldn't find parts anywhere in the Chicago area that weren't already rusted, the quarter panels on there are 67 camaro fiberglass, that's all that was around, I too fixed it and painted it in a driveway myself. Love the car but eventually only bondo and duct-tape held it together. Learned to drive in a 71 lime green Cutlass S, grew up with almost nothing but GMs, mostly Oldsmobile's.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM

PS - I love your mismatched wheels, that's how we did it back then, saved up until you could afford another rim at the wheel yard on south State Street - every other-one ended up being so out of whack the tire shop refused to mount a tire on it. Eventually I got all four Cragers on my car - wish I still had those too.