No more torque on my rod...

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

No more torque on my rod...

By applying my fearsome powers of deduction I have discovered that there's a loose steel thingie in my tailgate's roster of "drop down" bits.

As you will see in the pics that follow, I also marshaled my supreme Photoshop skills to indicate which thingie I mean...

SO, the torque rod is completely loose on the end that goes into the tailgate. My factory manual can offer no clue as to how to do this repair without practically tearing the whole 'gate apart. Can't I just take the carpet panel off and--with the window "up"--access the things I need to?

Oh, and cost is a thing, naturally, so if it's a big-deal repair my wife will say, "That heavy gate will give you exercise" or something similarly snarky.

[Darn you nice weather. When it was 95 outside I didn't have to venture out and do chores. But now it's a breezy 74 outside and "perfect weather to do chores." Now I can see why my kids hate them. "C'mon Mom, do I have to?... ]

xxx
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, I'll bite. What is the purpose of that torque rod? If you've got wire straps that hold the tailgate, why does it need a torsion bar?
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

The torque rod is a torsion bar spring that offloads the weight of the tailgate to make it easier to close. Yes, you can remove the inner panel to access the parts. Removing the inner panel is easier if the window is down, so what I do is lower the window, open the gate as a gate, remove the inner handle (one screw and it pulls off), unscrew the lock ****, then pry the inner panel loose starting at the bottom. One of the trim panel removal tools helps pop those "christmas tree" fasteners loose:

Expect to break a few of the fasteners during the removal process. You can get replacements at most auto parts stores.

Once all the fasteners are loose from the gate, work the trim panel off the clips along the top edge to free it completely. Next, remove the two sheet metal access panels on the inner surface of the gate. Be careful of the wiring. That ground strap is for the rear defogger.

With everything open, close the gate, raise the window, and open the gate as a door. Now you can see what's going on with the torque rod.