Stuck tail gate window

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Stuck tail gate window

I removed the tail gate for the rebuild and left power window in down position, thought this would help to protect the glass, which it has till now. However in my infinite wisdom I never thought of not having any power to get it back up to remove the glass. Tried connecting power from car battery but that didnt work either. Anyone got some ideas that doesnt involve a hammer to get the glass into the raised position please
Cheers
Kelvin
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Hi Kelvin
If I remember right there's a switch that won't allow the glass to go up if the tailgate is opened. That way you wouldn't try to drop it or slam it shut with the glass partly up. I think it's on the passengerside up near the top, but am not sure. Allen, Bluevista may be able to help with this.

The other option I can think of would be to remove the inside access panels and pull the motor off the regulator. Then you might be able to manually push the glass up. Good Luck and staaaaaay awaaaay from the Hammer

John
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Kelvin
If I remember right there's a switch that won't allow the glass to go up if the tailgate is opened. That way you wouldn't try to drop it or slam it shut with the glass partly up. I think it's on the passengerside up near the top, but am not sure. Allen, Bluevista may be able to help with this.

The other option I can think of would be to remove the inside access panels and pull the motor off the regulator. Then you might be able to manually push the glass up. Good Luck and staaaaaay awaaaay from the Hammer

John
Yep! I agree, for sure it is on a 66-67 it is a grounding switch, it is right by the passenger side latch, just a small spring loaded arm, that switch is open when the gate is open, to close the switch just move it to its limit in the opposite direction and the glass should work fine. I bet it is the same on a later one like you have. The body manual says use a saw horse to support the glass as it comes out. I have a new switch if you need one.
You would need the glass moved before you could get the motor out. And you have to drill a hole through the regulator and put a screw in there to lock the regulator before attempting to remove the motor. Again, on the 66-67, and I think the later ones would be the same.
Mike

Last edited by 66luvr; March 5th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the advice I have taken the left side window runner out right side wont budge so hopefully that will be related to the switch. Am going to have till later in week now before I can check the tail gate, so hoping all will go well. Am also a bit afraid that the previous owners havent bogged everything up inside with body filler. They have used copious amounts through out the car rather than repair things properly. But it all adds to the challenge I guess
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Managed to get the glass out at last and actually found a use for rust while I was at it believe it or not. The button never worked but at least I could rip all the rust out and unbolt the runners through the bottom of tailgate. Probably not quite the professional way but it worked and never had to look at hammer (phew)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Olds Collector

Stuck tail gate window

Yes, there is a switch as a part of the handle towards the top of the pass side inside the gate. It prevents the window to raise if the tailgate is not
closed properly. I had this problem when my gate would not close right on my 1971. So I figured out about the switch. Don't think you need a new one. It is a simple switch that cleaning should fix. When the torque bar on the bottom of the gate rusts out, it effects the whole allignment of the gate. The gate will sit too high and the window won't allign with the channel and could break when raised. So the switch might be doing its job. Make sure the gate is properly closed. Part of the way I figured out the problem is that the chrome strip along the top of the gate would hit the upper frame of the car and damage the chrome when closed. There should be a small gap between that chrome strip and the upper window frame. If the gate is not closed properly and you bypass the switch, you might break the window as it goes up. Regards