1970 Vista Cruiser Value

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:08 AM

1970 Vista Cruiser Value

I found a 1970 Vista Cruiser with a 350-4 barrel that the 2nd owner claims 40,000 original miles. It is a gold color with no woodgrain. The overall condition appears original and very good. It needs a thorough cleaning to really shine. It appears to have always been stored indoors and to have been well maintained.

He is interested in selling it but says he has no idea what it would be worth. He is an older man that claims he has had the car since the late eighties and he said he has put about 20,000 miles on it since then.

I think I can buy it for a reasonable price. My girlfriend loves it so I would like to make an offer on it. I just don't know what to offer! He seems to be a very nice old man and I don't want to take advantage of him but I do want to get a good deal that would be fair for both of us! He said he paid $2000 for it when he bought it from the original owner.

Any suggestions from those with more knowledge about these than me would be appreciated!
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Usually it's best to try and get a price from the seller. The economy has beat down prices across the board and top dollar is hard to get. I would have a number in my head as to what I would pay and keep it in mind. I met a guy with an air cleaner for sale and he couldn't come up with a price. So after looking at each other for a while I said how about $20 and as he was shaking his head I quickly said $40, I could see he thought it was worth more so I quickly said $60, we got to $140 and he broke. The bad thing is that it was only worth about $75 so I passed. But I did get a price out of him. I did it that way very quickly so that I wouldn't insult him.
You could start with $2500 and go up $500 increments and tell the guy to tell you when to stop, remember to look at his facial expressions very closely. You will get a price and can begin to haggle from there. Make it real clear to him you want to keep the car and enjoy it...not sell it. If he knows you love the car and will be a good home for his wagon he will be more likely to let it go at a reasonable price.
Good luck!!
Keep us posted.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks!

That sounds like good info!

What do you know about theses cars?
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM

The August 2010 issue of the Olds Cars Price Guide puts the value of a 1970 Vista Cruiser 2-seat wagon in #4 condition (good running and driving but needing complete restoration) at $2,240. Add $20 to that if it's the 3-seat version.

In #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom condition), it's $5,040 for the 2-seat, $5,090 for the 3-seat.

From your description, the car sounds like it's between these two. Maybe $3,000? $3,500? The low mileage, if true, is a plus, in my opinion.

But you gotta get this car. You don't come across these in the condition this one is in with the history this one has that often. Grab it while it's there. The fact that your girlfriend likes it makes it even more urgent that you get it.

As soon as you have it, post some photos!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Those prices are way low for "car show" condition, but it depends on what show I guess?

I would be real leary about that 40,000 mile number unless it can be proved.
Watch out for rust around the roof windows and below the rear side windows on top of the quarters. If there is any sign of rust it will be way worse when you pull the moldings, usually takes out the rear dog legs and lower quarters too once the water gets in. Interior seat covers and trim are unobtanium so the better they are the better it is.
I would say $3000-$3500 too, if it's in decent shape, start at $2500 as said.
I just had my '71 professionally appraised a few hours ago.
I'll find out the number tomorrow and post it.
I know it's going to be higher than 6K.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess around 18K.
Oh yeah...my car is finished.
I guess people will want to see pics so I'll have to snap a few and post them.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Bluevista
DUH........You know the saying, "there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask them..."
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM

I question the mileage too. It is a very nice car though. I'm going back out there and give it a THOROUGH inspection later this week.

Thanks for the input!
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Good points about the rust and mileage. It would be more likely the car had 120k on it in the 80's but you never know. 40k cars are usually very unworn on the inside. Check the history if possible, oil change schedules, brake pedal condition, seat corners, seams, seat springs, carpet, dash details etc.
My Uncle bought a 40k miled 69 Toro many years back and I never said anything but I could tell it was at least 140K The seats were recovered and the springs were shot and you could feel that the new covers were right over the old ripped up covers, the carb was changed, it had many different brands of hoses and repairs done. It had no history either. It was very clear it was 140k.
Good luck.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Sounds like I wagon I would love to have!
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:48 AM

be honest and up front...tell him there's no way to document it's a 40K car and you don't want to point out every flaw because it is a nicely maintained car....so you'll offer $500 over his purchase price = $2500....and if that doesn't get it done, then $2750 as your final offer.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM

$2k in cash in 100s has a way of making people say ok
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
$2k in cash in 100s has a way of making people say ok
Yes it does! It also depends on how badly he wants the car gone. Some people are anxious to recover the garage space and will let it go for anything reasonable. Others aren't in a hurry and will wait for a better price. He could sell it for $2K tomorrow. Or he could sell it for $3K, but it will take him a year to do it.

If he's serious about getting reasonably top dollar for it, you would think he would do some research on his own to come up with an asking price as well as what he'd like to see out of it in the end.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Bittersweet, let us know what you find out about the car - condition and whether you will get it or not. It has piqued my interest for sure!
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM

I'm going to call him tonight and see if I can come back on Friday evening. The car is about 85 miles from where I live. We were just out riding around Saturday afternoon when my girlfriend spotted it in a large storage building with the bay doors open. The old man was out front so we pulled in to talk about the car. She has a thing for old station wagons. He was very friendly and we talked about all kinds of subjects. He also has a 61 Ford Starliner he bought new! It is perfect. I could not believe how nice it was. He really took a liking to my girlfriend and invited us to stop by any time we were in the area. Her 7 year old daughter was not with us but she LOVES old cars and Max promised to take her for a ride in both cars if we would bring her back. I really believe he is genuine. He told us an old friend of his was the former owner of the local Oldsmobile dealer and he bought the car from him. My girlfriend said she wanted the car so she will be the one buying it if it comes to that.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

It sounds like you got that guy just where you want him.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I just had my '71 professionally appraised a few hours ago.
I'll find out the number tomorrow and post it.
I know it's going to be higher than 6K.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess around 18K.
The pics are in a new thread. I got the appraisal number today, came pretty close, $17,500. The appraiser had a hard time, not many are sold and almost zero auction sales so hard to come up with comparables. She said she would of liked to go higher but for agreed value insurance that's as much as she could justify for now. I would want more to sell it right now, if anybody wants to buy it make me an offer I can't refuse.

One pic.

Old May 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Nice...
Those things were real sleepers with a 455.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Man that sure is pretty!
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM

I want one!
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:15 AM

Well, Friday evening I went and gave the car a good going over. I don't believe it has 40,000 miles. I think it's 140,000. The car is still in very good shape. I offered him $2000 and he turned it down. I offered $2500 and he turned that down as well. He said his wife really did not want him to sell it. Monday afternoon I called him and offered $2750. He did not budge. I thanked him for his time and told him I would check back at some point in the near future. I gave him my phone number in case he changed his mind. $3000 was the maximum my girlfriend could pay so I reckon we lost this one.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM

My Dad always said most of the fun is looking for a collector car. I think you did a good job investigating the car and handling the owner. You just might be getting a phone call. I've done the same thing and got a call several months later.
Good luck.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM

so he wasted your time...so the wife will agree to sell but only for a certain figure or more ?

Don't offer more, even if he calls. Doubtful he ever gets a higher offer.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:42 AM

My girlfriend thinks he will call in a couple of weeks. But I'm like you Viking Blue, I will not offer anymore for the car.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM

Too bad you weren't able to buy it. It would be a shame if the car sits for 15 years in the barn and deteriorates.