Tailgate window repair '70 VC

Old February 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM

Tailgate window repair '70 VC

My rear glass on my VC is good, but the metal trim piece on the bottom that the lift mechanism attaches to is rusted and swollen. It's so bad that I can't install my inside gate cover plate, because then the window won't roll up all the way.

Does anybody know if I can get that fixed, or do I just need to start looking for the whole rear glass assembly?
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM

i am not sure if it can be fixed or not but if you find out that it can't i have a good back glass. i would have to double check the condition but i sure think it is all good with not scratches.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM

As long as the metal tray on the bottom is in good shape, I'd probably be interested. Check it out and let me know, along with what you want for it...

Is it a manual or power gate? I kinda like the power gate, but it's also kind of a pain.. I wouldn't mind finding a manual crank setup.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Longroof
As long as the metal tray on the bottom is in good shape, I'd probably be interested. Check it out and let me know, along with what you want for it...

Is it a manual or power gate? I kinda like the power gate, but it's also kind of a pain.. I wouldn't mind finding a manual crank setup.
I think I may have a manual regulator if you want to switch.
It came with my car so I guess it's for a Vista Cruiser?
I can double check against a power regulator if you want, have one of those that came with the car too. It's my back-up now and the one in the car will never break as long as I keep it around.

The crank and stuff may be a litle hard to find.
I've heard guys use the tailgate crank handle from a Blazer or something like that for replacements.
The Einstyn dude may have one around?
I have to get my tailgate and rear window seals from him soon, hope he still has the stuff and will take my first born in exchange.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM

Longroof, what's your location? If the other guys don't have what you need I've got a couple extra tailgates with glass, both are power windows. But I'm in Oregon so unless your in the Western States shipping the glass would be spendy. John
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:22 AM

i am in indiana. just go with who is closest. i am working alot of over time right now. it may be the weekend till i get to look at it.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM

Smile Sashay this

I think what you are looking for is a tail gate lower sash channel PN 7731788 for '68- -72...it's a lot easier to change the sash than getting a whole window!!! All those A body wagons will have one...
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM

Since I'm in Florida, nothing is close... Oregon? I can't get much further away.
Yellowstatue: OK, now I've got the part number... Where can I get a replacement?
Bluevista.. I might be interested in the regulator... What else would I need besides the elusive handle? And if Einstyn has more window seals, let me know. I checked his site a while ago and couldn't find anything.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

For the manual regulator I think you would just need the handle and gasket?
It does sort of look like a Blazer piece.
I think one of the Yahoo guys may have done that?

The Einstyn dude sells the parts on evilbay. I didn't see any window seals but he doesn't have them on all the time. I'll contact him to see what's up, I hope I didn't wait too long. He's on the Chebelle site and is the moderator of the wagon section.
You probably could just replace the lower sash channel but most are on windows and a lot of guys probably won't seperate them. You would most likely have to buy the whole window then have the seller take it off and pitch the glass but you never know. A lot easier to get the whole window. Watch for those inside scratches on the right inside surface from the anti rattle strip felt wearing off and the metal rubbing. I'll go dig out that regulator to see what I can see, just like the bear that went over the mountain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wel138.jpg (43.3 KB, 17 views)
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:44 PM

part needed

2blu442 ,do you have an interior panel?
I have been looking for one for a while, It is the vinyl interior panel that covers the gas tank area.
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Homestar
2blu442 ,do you have an interior panel?
I have been looking for one for a while, It is the vinyl interior panel that covers the gas tank area.
Hate to see the shipping cost on that thing.

I think '68-'72 A body wagons are all the same back there? The chebelle has a light and switch for the rear facing third seat passengers, not sure about others?
I see things all the time with people saying they distinctly remember riding facing the rear sitting in the third seat in their family's Vista Cruiser as kids.

Hinshaw's Chevelle parts has the cargo area side cover upholstery. Not sure how the colors would compare to Olds?
I had mine done at the trim shop along with the seats so the vinyl would all match, hand made with new repo vinyl ain't cheap, but it's so pretty.
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:13 AM

Homestar; Where are you located?? I might have one if you are close to Toronto!! and what colour?? I have blue and brown and bone...
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Homestar, in my part of the country the vinyl is all bad from summertime heat. Getting one from Yellowstature sounds like your best bet. Beyond that, having new vinyl put over your metal may be your only other option. John