What options for woodgrain were available form factory in '70?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:08 PM

What options for woodgrain were available form factory in '70?

I'm waist deep into my search for replacement woodgrain.
So far I'm 90% committed to buying 3-M Di Noc from Metro Restyling.
I have a '70 VC with the Aspen green/Sherwood green two tone paint job.
Originally I figured it might be Burma teak on the outside but all Burma teaks I've seen look wrong, yet Cherry teak looks too red? However, my wood is very faded so maybe the redness dulled over time?

That brings the question, does anyone have a scan of the original brochure that shows the exterior choices for these cars? Was there even an option of which type of wood? Most green VCs I see on Google images have Cherry teak so I think I will have to switch to that even if my car was originally Burma.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:11 PM

I would also like to note that Sharpline converting is no longer a good source for wood grain. I ordered samples a while back and tested them out and was very disappointed in the quality, I emailed the rep (fantastic customer service however) and joked to her that it looks like they were printed with an Ink jet. She confirmed that they no longer purchase direct from 3M and that they do in face produce their own with an ink jet. The resolution is very poor and I don;t think the Vinyl they use will hold up on a car.

Metro Restyling sells new 3M Di Noc, from what I understand it is different than the original stuff but I really like it. The quality of the vinyl appears really nice and the wood grain is fantastic. The Di Noc is even embossed so it has the feel and look of actual grain as if it were real veneer.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by gratsoy
I'm waist deep into my search for replacement woodgrain.
So far I'm 90% committed to buying 3-M Di Noc from Metro Restyling.
I have a '70 VC with the Aspen green/Sherwood green two tone paint job.
Originally I figured it might be Burma teak on the outside but all Burma teaks I've seen look wrong, yet Cherry teak looks too red? However, my wood is very faded so maybe the redness dulled over time?

That brings the question, does anyone have a scan of the original brochure that shows the exterior choices for these cars? Was there even an option of which type of wood? Most green VCs I see on Google images have Cherry teak so I think I will have to switch to that even if my car was originally Burma.
Have you tried Phoenix graphics? I think that's the name