Just bought a 1984 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:39 AM
Stationwagonguy1

Just bought a 1984 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon

I will be needing many replacement parts. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced parts place where you can get good Olds parts for these old wagons?
At the moment I need door rubber, some minor chrome, some interior panels that are sun damaged (especially rear compartment), a new dashboard, and so on.
PS: The car is silver with red interior.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from all of the others here who love the old wagons.
David
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:46 AM

David, welcome to the site. Here are some sites to check out!

https://www.soffseal.com/store/main.aspx

http://www.steelerubber.com/

You will need to find a parts car for minor interior chrome items, either that or buy it NOS. If your plastic interior panels are sun damaged they can be removed, sanded and sprayed with plastic paint. I did this on my lower B pillar covers in my 71 98 and they turned out great.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:56 AM
Stationwagonguy1

Thanks so much, will try the sand and paint. I hope they aren't deteriorated too far.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:11 PM

The worst part is that it would be hard to do an exact color match with this method.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:15 PM
Olds Fever

I have some various pieces of NOS (and some used) chrome trim... Headlight bezels, tail light bezels, window trim including window sweeps, tailgate window sweeps etc. etc.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:29 PM
Stationwagonguy1

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I have some various pieces of NOS (and some used) chrome trim... Headlight bezels, tail light bezels, window trim including window sweeps, tailgate window sweeps etc. etc.
Hello, John, David here.
I need all of the door rubber seals and I know I need the one piece of black rubber that the tailgate window rubs against. Not sure what that is called. If you have that, how much is it? Is it new or used? Also, I need the driver's fender chrome that covers the top of the woodgrain, most of the interior panels that are sun damaged (especially rear compartment), and a new dashboard. Prices or suggestions on where I can find those would be of help. I have to do this as I have the funds but I plan to do the entire project.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by stationwagonguy1
Hello, John, David here.
I need all of the door rubber seals and I know I need the one piece of black rubber that the tailgate window rubs against. Not sure what that is called. If you have that, how much is it? Is it new or used? Also, I need the driver's fender chrome that covers the top of the woodgrain, most of the interior panels that are sun damaged (especially rear compartment), and a new dashboard. Prices or suggestions on where I can find those would be of help. I have to do this as I have the funds but I plan to do the entire project.
First, welcome to the group (forgot to mention it in my earlier post)...
Most of the parts I have are a mix of NOS & Used and will take me a little time to pull out some of the things you need... Here is a photo of the tailgate window sweep I think you need... Actual door weatherstrips I do not have, only some window sweeps (rubber seals against the outer door glass)... You can email me direct a list of the things you need and as I get a chance I will check and see what I actually have left in my stock and subsequently forward you some photos and prices...
The tailgate window sweep is $100 and the door window sweeps are a $125 a pair plus shipping...
My email address is: DIEHARDOLDS@NYCAP.RR.COM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0460.jpg (1.25 MB, 17 views)
IMAG0459.jpg (1.05 MB, 14 views)
IMAG0454.jpg (1.12 MB, 12 views)
IMAG0451.jpg (902.1 KB, 12 views)
IMAG0452.jpg (1.20 MB, 16 views)
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

The door weatherstripping is the same on Caprice four doors and wagons, so this is available everywhere. I suspect you also need the tailgate window weatherstrip. Unfortunately, this is not reproed. You can often find N.O.S. originals on line.

I'm parting a 1984 Custom Cruiser. PM me with specific trim and interior needs, though this is a blue car with blue interior.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:15 AM

Check it out!

http://www.justdashes.com/

They can redo the dash on your car; however, I've heard their prices are quite high. You might check around for Caprice/Impala dashes. I've also heard you can repair small cracks with epoxy filler and then paint it to match.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Check it out!

http://www.justdashes.com/

They can redo the dash on your car; however, I've heard their prices are quite high.
You get what you pay for. Don't expect a lot of change back from a $1000 bill.

You might check around for Caprice/Impala dashes.
The Chevy dash is completely different from the Olds dash. Despite being mechanically identical, and using the Chevy exterior sheet metal from the firewall back on all the B-body wagons, the dash and interior is unique to each division.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You get what you pay for. Don't expect a lot of change back from a $1000 bill.

The Chevy dash is completely different from the Olds dash. Despite being mechanically identical, and using the Chevy exterior sheet metal from the firewall back on all the B-body wagons, the dash and interior is unique to each division.
I've heard the quality of Just Dash's work is superb. I didn't know the Caprice/Impala had a different dash, I figured the only difference was emblems and such.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
Stationwagonguy1

One of the little parts I need is for the electric seat. The motor is fine but the little plastic gear deteriorated so I need that part. No way to find out the part number though.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

One of the little parts I need is for the electric seat. The motor is fine but the little plastic gear deteriorated so I need that part. No way to find out the part number though.
Did you really mean "gear" or the plastic coupling between the motor and the gearbox? This coupling is what usually breaks, and replacements are readily available. I just replaced the one in my wife's 1985 D88.

Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:37 AM
Olds Fever

Despite being mechanically identical, and using the Chevy exterior sheet metal from the firewall back on all the B-body wagons, the dash and interior is unique to each division.
Although it is true about the Chevy sheet metal from the firewall back, You have to remember the front fenders for the Custom Cruiser are also different from the Coupes & Sedans...
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Although it is true about the Chevy sheet metal from the firewall back, You have to remember the front fenders for the Custom Cruiser are also different from the Coupes & Sedans...
I wasn't addressing the front sheet metal. My whole point was that despite apparent similarity between Olds and Chevy wagons, the DASH BOARD AND INTERIOR were different, which is what the question was about.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Olds Fever

I wasn't addressing the front sheet metal. My whole point was that despite apparent similarity between Olds and Chevy wagons, the DASH BOARD AND INTERIOR were different, which is what the question was about.
Sorry Joe, meant no offense... I knew what you were referring too and what the question was about... BUT since you made the general statement about the SHEET METAL, I thought David should also be aware of the fender difference... Just added information for his use if needed...
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
Stationwagonguy1

Did you really mean "gear" or the plastic coupling between the motor and the gearbox? This coupling is what usually breaks, and replacements are readily available. I just replaced the one in my wife's 1985 D88.

That may be the part, I will have to look under the seat. It is gone is why I am not sure. I would love to see a picture of the full assembly to know for sure though.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:06 PM
Olds Fever

Here are a few photos of the seat motor and drive cables...
Attached Images
IMAG0610.jpg (584.8 KB, 11 views)
IMAG0611.jpg (679.9 KB, 11 views)
IMAG0612.jpg (1.12 MB, 8 views)
IMAG0613.jpg (960.0 KB, 10 views)
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Bfg

I have a nice instrument panel for the 84 Ninety-Eight if your interested. Asking $20.00 plus shipping
Attached Images
IMG_1285.JPG (126.3 KB, 9 views)
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:50 AM
Stationwagonguy1

I can't thank all of you enough for your responses and help. This is a great group indeed. I have not gotten back with all of you yet as I have been deluged with work here all of a sudden but I will try to contact everyone. I am researching all of the parts I need before I start the restoration so I make sure all is done right. There are so many clever ideas out there. Thanks again!
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:46 AM
Stationwagonguy1

I got under the seat this morning with a flashlight and I think that is the part. Do you remember where you purchased it? The numbers I am finding are ridiculously high (upwards of $20)
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I got under the seat this morning with a flashlight and I think that is the part. Do you remember where you purchased it? The numbers I am finding are ridiculously high (upwards of $20)
That's what they cost. I got mine from Gbodyparts.com.
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

I got my coupler from the GM dealer 12 years ago for THIRTY bones. 15-20 is cheap! Lol