11/28 a dark day for our '92 Custom Cruiser

Old November 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM

11/28 a dark day for our '92 Custom Cruiser

After a very nice long holiday weekend, I headed off to work in my trusty '92 Custom Cruiser like any other day. Halfway through my commute a vehicle entering from an on ramp at a high rate of speed (in the rain) slammed into my right rear quarter. The window shattered, and the vehicle spun around sliding sideways and head on into a concrete guard rail. Then spun around back into the original direction and I was able to roll the car safely to the side. I called for help and remained in the vehicle to wait for emergency crews to arrive. Fortunately though bruised and sore, nothing was broken and I will be alright after some time. Unfortunately our beautiful Custom Cruiser has bent frame horns, hard bent quarter and based on mileage/damage the cost to repair it will be more than buying another example. I cannot say enough about the comfort,reliability, economy, safety, classic looks and overall versatility of these wagons. It has been the best daily car I've owned. Based on the availability of these cars in a color combo that I like with low miles, we will be considering Buick examples as well as Olds for replacement once the insurance papers are filed and settled. Enjoy your cars, drive safe and count your blessings

Old December 1st, 2016, 05:22 AM

The car did what it was designed to do in the situation...saved you butt. Glad to hear that you are OK.

You should strip all of the Custom Cruiser parts from the car before you get rid of it. The parts are getting hard to find, and the ones that are Custom Cruiser specific especially (I know of the desire for a cargo cover). Even the hood ornament is good to grab. If you find another OCC, you can use the parts for spares, yourself.

I would also argue that the value it the very top of what the OCC is worth. Do not take a BS low offer. It will be difficult to find another one that is as nice as yours was. I saw a nice one go for $5800 on ebay just recently. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-C...m=262636154946
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Man, sorry to hear of your wagons demise. Thankfully you are ok, hopefully you will find a suitable replacement.
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:47 AM

BUMMER!

Definitely take the hood ornament. That way you can remember how your CC sacrificed itself to save you.
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Glad you are OK. This is the one fear I have driving an older car as a daily driver - the other crazies on the road. Unfortunately, it remains an occupational hazard.
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:24 AM

Wow, that was bad and like said glad you are ok but after that its such a shame this happened to the Cruiser. They are getting very hard to find in nice condition. My daily driver is a 92 and I love it. Should something happen to it I might have to settle for the Roadmaster ...
Old December 1st, 2016, 01:50 PM
Oldsdruid

Hit that knucklehead's insurance for everything you can and do not settle for their lowball "it's 25 yrs old" offer. Then turn yer lawyer loose on him as an individual civil suit.

I'm getting where I hate driving in any type of expressway traffic because people do not understand the concept of yield and merge. They're also clueless about that lever to the left of their steering wheel. I can do a lot of things, but I cannot read your mind if you don't signal your intention to turn, and don't even get me started on dimming headlamps. Modern vehicle headlights are insanely bright to begin with, and then figure in people who set them on high and never dim them.
Old December 1st, 2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Hit that knucklehead's insurance for everything you can and do not settle for their lowball "it's 25 yrs old" offer. Then turn yer lawyer loose on him as an individual civil suit.

I'm getting where I hate driving in any type of expressway traffic because people do not understand the concept of yield and merge. They're also clueless about that lever to the left of their steering wheel. I can do a lot of things, but I cannot read your mind if you don't signal your intention to turn, and don't even get me started on dimming headlamps. Modern vehicle headlights are insanely bright to begin with, and then figure in people who set them on high and never dim them.
Thank you for your concern, but athough I am upset, I am grateful to be alright and also grateful that the fella that hit me was actually insured. He made a dumbass mistake not unlike some of the dumbass mistakes I've made in my life, not to mention that he actually stopped! I'll do my due diligence on recovering a fair market value on the car and move along to another. My post is not necessarily a rant against the other driver, but rather a show of my appreciation for this car that has served me very well. Hopefully all will work out, and maybe our CC can contribute something for my next DD. Cheers and blessings
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:42 PM

As an update, I nogotiated a price this Saturday on an 82,500 mile 1992 Buick Roadmaster B Body wagon out of Scottsdale. Bearing the scarceness of low mile dark colored Olds examples, I was not opposed to considering a Buick example. I will be flying out in Feburary with a friend to drive it back to the Lone Star. Original,R12, unmolested, leather,factory radio, and unlike its later model LT 1 example, full gauge cluster, low clearance luggage rack, high endurance steel heads, non reverse coolant flow, and no optispark. Very pleased, and only hope that this one serves us as well as our first.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Looks nice
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:39 AM

That's a pretty Buick! I'm sure it will serve you well. It's too bad the Olds CC are getting so rare.
Old December 15th, 2017, 05:44 PM

A bit of closure for this car... I've had it lingering at my house for the past year, stripping anything I could to help support the Roadmaster wagon and selling Custom Cruiser specific parts. Last weekend I loaded it up and removed the differential,rotors/calipers wheels and tires and took it to the metal scrapyard. As you can see in the trailer photos, my sons and neighborhood kids had a blast beating the shell into oblivion. Despite having zero driveline, interior, doors or tailgate the car still weighed almost a ton. I used most of the $71.51 profits to buy spare taillights and tailgate trim for the Buick wagon. Although it is gone now, it still serves me in the way of spare parts and fond memories.

Fourth car from the bottom of the stack

Old December 15th, 2017, 06:25 PM

I am glad that you milked everything out of it that you could. The parts for the Olds are getting hard to find, and everything you gleaned from it can be used by someone. I have not seen one in the local P-N-P yards for about 2-3 years. If you need RM parts, I might be interested in some trades. I have a 91 and a 92. Most of the parts fit across, a few do not.
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Glad you were able to take so many parts off of it. It must be bitter sweet knowing that it kept you safe and that you were able to use so many of the parts for your Buick.