69 Dual action tailgate not opening

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2016, 10:30 AM

69 Dual action tailgate not opening

I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on what might be wrong with my tailgate. I have a 69 Cutlass Wagon with the dual action tailgate. It will swing open fine however it does seem to have a lot of slop in it and kind of drops down when opened. It also will only open a few inches when trying to fold it down like a regular tailgate. It appears to be getting hung up on the upper swing pin. Is there an easy way to get to the dual action hinge to check for worn components, loose bolts or misalignment? Thank you for any help you can provide. Will post pictures to try to explain whats going on.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:35 AM

This is as far as it will open to drop down.

This is a picture of the upper swing pin from inside the car with the tailgate dropped down as far as it will go. Sorry for the way the picture is, it is hard to get in there with a camera and be able to see anything

this is a picture of the same swing pin with the tailgate opened all the way in the swing out position.
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:41 AM

Maybe it's hitting on the bumper because it falls? I wonder if you could use something flat and hold up the gate as you try to open it. Only thing is you might get it open and not be able to close it! I know theres a big torsion bar type spring to help you open and close it so be careful that gate is really heavy. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:58 AM

I think I have it narrowed down to the swing pin and bushings in the lower hinge as well as some of the components being pretty well stuck in place from not being used for so long. I will provide some updates when I get the chance to remove the bumper and have a better look, hopefully this weekend.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:57 AM

Just an update. I worked on this project over the weekend and determined that the entire hinge assembly is locked up from rust. This caused the hinge pin to break in 2 different spots, broke a spring and chewed up the nut that holds the main hinge together. I have been posting about this over on the Chevelle forum as well since these are identical parts to what is used on the Chevelle wagons. here is the link to my post on the Chevelle forum in case anyone is interested. It includes some photos and a little better description as well as some useful information provided by other members there for working on these parts.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/44-w...t-opening.html
Old November 20th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Does anyone know how the upper tailgate stainless steel trim is removed from the outside of the gate? I have it lifted off the edge, but can't figure out how to release the 6 or so clips that hold it along its length.Here are some pictures that show how I've pried the trim upwards, off the top edge of the tailgate.

Also, does anyone have a source for window scraper felts by the yard, instead of the rather expensive kits that seem to be for sale from Steele, Metro, etc. (I'm sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I've searched all over and I thought someone on this thread would be most likely to have the answer.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_0034[1].JPG (322.5 KB, 5 views)
000_0035[1].JPG (511.7 KB, 4 views)
000_0038[1].JPG (325.3 KB, 3 views)