Gas Tank and Sender Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Gas Tank and Sender Issues

Can't believe I glossed over this section.

Since I have a problem, I picked up this 68 cruiser to go with the 70 S.
5eRHUnG.jpg

Now she needs her fair share of TLC, especially around the fuel system.

First off, the tab that holds in the bolt for the lower gas tank strap has completely rotted out. Has anyone repaired this in the past? I'm likely going to fabricate a long strap with a hook at the end out of 16ga sheet metal and weld it in.

Next, the tank itself has a pinhole leak in it. It looks like it's been soldered/patched there before. It looks like new tanks are as rare as hens teeth, so I'll likely need to patch it, either with solder or epoxy.

Last, the sender is shot. No one seems to make senders for the wagons. Is there anyone out there that does, or anyone that makes just the float/potentiometer assembly? Otherwise it looks like my only bet is to buy one of the universal 0-90 ohm kits and transplant the hardware onto the old sender.

I'm up for any ideas or suggestions you may have.
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM

There was a fella on this site that had a nos fuel sender. I thought about it but I think he wanted $200. for it. If I needed it ( as I guess you do), I would buy it. Look on the parts for sale section and go back a few pages. I'll bet you'll find it. There have been wagon tanks on ebay before also. Keep your eyes peeled and you should be able to get one
Old January 18th, 2016, 10:23 AM

I've repaired a tank on a 70 flat top with two part epoxy. It was weeping at the pinch weld on the bottom of the tank. That was almost 10 years ago and no issues since. I think the senders can be rebuilt. l don't know the details but I will look into it when I start restoring my wagon's system. Good luck with it. Nice 68.

Matt
Old January 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp

Maybe these guys can help. Don't know anything about them? Just a google search.

Matt
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Just as a recap-

Fabricated a new strap and hook to weld to good sheet metal. Not a fun position to weld in but it works.

The fiberglass and epoxy kit worked pretty well.

No off the shelf sending units that worked. I picked up a generic 68 C-10 sending unit (same price as all the other GM ones). Not as easy to modify as I had hoped, so I spliced in the good parts onto the old unit. Worked out ok with a few compression fittings and solder. The C-10 swing arm is the closest to wagon length I could find. Not a perfect calibration but it works.