Looking at a Vista Cruiser out of state

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Looking at a Vista Cruiser out of state

I have found a Vista Cruiser I am interested in purchasing, but it is out of state, so I am just going off the pictures posted by the owner. I plan on having it inspected, possibly by AiM Mobile Inspections. I have a question about the passenger door panel switches. It looks like there are three toggle type switches, what are they for? The door panel does not look like other pictures I have seen. It is a 1970 model year with power windows, but it looks like it does not have the handle for the vent window? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1084.JPG (88.5 KB, 84 views)
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Do you have a photo of the driver side door panel for comparison???
The lower switch (toward the front) should be where the window switch/crank would be... The other two areas would be vent window and remote mirror control, but they don't look correct...

Here is a photo of a 1970 driver door panel... the passenger side should be similar in setup...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; June 14th, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:24 AM
4R5

From your picture, the lower most switch is the power window, the switch above the door handle is the power door lock, and the 3rd one is probably for the vent window. The vent window was always manual, but it is possible to put in a Caddy power vent motor & wiring - lloks like that what was done here. I'd ask the owner if he did that.
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:46 AM

Dixon, where is the Vista Cruiser located? Before you spend money on a professional inspection service try starting a thread soliciting help from our members. Better to have an Oldsmobile man inspect it than some inspector that may or may not be a car guy.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:21 AM

It is in Mississippi and the owner tells me it was a Florida car, so rust will most likely be an issue. Any advice on rust damage is welcome! He is asking $8900, which seems like a good price as long as the inspection doesn't turn up anything major.

Unfortunately, I don't have a driver side picture. I hadn't ever heard of adding electric for the vent window, but that makes sense considering the location of the switch.

He also says there is no third row, but I can see in the pictures that the second row in split, so I am hoping adding the third row back would be a relatively easy project.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:51 AM

The picture of the passenger door panel is a bit confusing. I don't "think" power vent windows were ever an option on an A body(cutlass, F85,442,vista) BUT, I have had a few '70 vistas & there is normally a horizontal band at the top of the door panel that would interfere with that mystery switch & it looks like that band has never been installed on the door panel. If he added the power vent window, I would think there would some signs of fading on the fabric, or signs of removing that horizontal band??? The sport wheel has been added & maybe he has done more things??
If it is a 2 seat wagon, adding the 3rd seat option is a VERY MAJOR job.

Look for rust around the top vista windows under the trim & for signs of water leakage below those areas. Also the bottom of the front fenders, bottom inside of the doors, bottom of door jambs, bottom inner seam of the tail gate, bottom of spare tire well & bottom of storage area in the rear.
Please post more pictures if you get them.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
The picture of the passenger door panel is a bit confusing. I don't "think" power vent windows were ever an option on an A body(cutlass, F85,442,vista)
They were not. Full size cars only.

Originally Posted by dixondl
It is in Mississippi and the owner tells me it was a Florida car, so rust will most likely be an issue. Any advice on rust damage is welcome! He is asking $8900, which seems like a good price as long as the inspection doesn't turn up anything major.
A Florida car WILL have rust, and the worst of it will be hidden under the window trim. For that much money, get the seller to agree to remove the trim around the windshield and roof windows to look for rust. Sellers try to claim that water leaks are just the seal to the window, but 99% of the time they are caused by pinchweld rust that is very expensive to repair.

He also says there is no third row, but I can see in the pictures that the second row in split, so I am hoping adding the third row back would be a relatively easy project.
Three seat models got different VINs from two seat models. Conversion is more involved than you think. You pretty much need a complete three seat parts car to get all the small parts.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:27 AM

My thought was that since the second row was a split seat, not a bench, that it may have had three rows, but it was removed at some point. I have the VIN, is there a way to check if this was a three row model? Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Here are some additional pics. It has some great options on it with a 455 engine with 442 package, scoop hood, rally wheels, power windows, locks, tach gauge, 442 steering wheel. It seems that even with rust, it would be worth asking price. It was repainted sliver and blue from the original green and wood.

Old June 15th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

My thought was that since the second row was a split seat, not a bench, that it may have had three rows, but it was removed at some point. I have the VIN, is there a way to check if this was a three row model? Thanks!
A two-row VC VIN starts 348550...
A three-row VC VIN starts 348650...

The split second row was offered on two-row cars for added cargo flexibility. It doesn't mean the car used to have three rows.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Bummer, the VIN start with 348550.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here are some additional pics. It has some great options on it with a 455 engine with 442 package, scoop hood, rally wheels, power windows, locks, tach gauge, 442 steering wheel. It seems that even with rust, it would be worth asking price. It was repainted sliver and blue from the original green and wood.
I have a different take on this car. The car clearly has been assembled from parts. There's no such thing as a "442 package" on the engine. It's hard to tell from the photo you've posted, but I would check the VIN derivative and head casting numbers to determine the year of the motor. I doubt it is original. It appears to be an aftermarket intake and E-brock carb under that aftermarket air cleaner. Of course, without a stock air cleaner adapter, the O.A.I. hood isn't doing anything.

The blue/silver paint with green interior is not exactly aesthetically pleasing. New paint always makes me very nervous of half-fast rust repair. Look for bondo and fiberglass. Can't tell from the photos if the hood is all -fiberglass or if it has a metal frame like factory. It's obviously been added. Small diameter Starfire steering wheel has also been added. It looks like the A/C has an aftermarket POA valve eliminator kit that changes the system to a clutch cycling system. The stock A6 compressor wasn't designed to be used as a cycling compressor like the newer ones are.

Your call on whether or not this car is worth the asking price to you.
Old June 15th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Great info, thanks. I am trying to get up to speed as much as possible starting with minimal car knowledge. I saw this advertisement last night, and confused the 442 package with the W30 package discussed in the ad. From the vintage ad, it would seem the norm is for the after market scoop hoods to be fiberglass. I have no idea the pros and cons of this, I just like the look I am not overly concerned with parts being swapped out, as long as it is structurally sound and functional. I am looking for a fun family hauler for Sunday drives and possible meet ups/local car shows.
Old June 15th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Great info, thanks. I am trying to get up to speed as much as possible starting with minimal car knowledge. I saw this advertisement last night, and confused the 442 package with the W30 package discussed in the ad. From the vintage ad, it would seem the norm is for the after market scoop hoods to be fiberglass. I have no idea the pros and cons of this, I just like the look I am not overly concerned with parts being swapped out, as long as it is structurally sound and functional. I am looking for a fun family hauler for Sunday drives and possible meet ups/local car shows.
First, despite what the seller may claim, that is NOT a "W-30 package". Real 1970 W-30 head castings regularly sell for $4000 a pair. The correct W-30 intake goes for $1500. At the price you quoted, those are not real W-30 parts.

Second, the factory O.A.I. hood was a fiberglass top with a metal frame underneath. I strongly suspect the one on this car is a repro. Repros are available in a wide range of quality. Some correctly duplicate the factory style metal frame. Some are all-fiberglass and thus less strong.

I raise the issue of parts being swapped out because it indicates that someone other than the factory did the work. That means that you have no idea of the quality or workmanship. If you are not sufficiently educated in the nuances of these cars to spot possible issues from such parts swapping, you should find someone who is to advise you. There are a lot of sellers looking for inexperienced buyers to dump poorly-assembled cars with mis-matched parts and half the fasteners missing. I am not suggesting that this car falls into that category, only that you should be an informed buyer.
Old June 15th, 2017, 01:02 PM

I planning to use AiM (Alliance Inspection Management) for a first look inspection and to get some detailed pictures. If they do not turn up any red flags, I would like to get it inspected by someone with more expertise in this particular car.
I am having to fight the urge to be won over on outer appearances alone! I would hate to find out after the fact that the new shiny paint is hiding a mess of bondo and rust I agree the colors chosen for the new paint job are not appealing and would plan to return the car to the original green and wood.
Any suggestions on where to turn for an expert inspection? Should I try to reach out to car clubs in the local area for referrals?
As far as pricing goes, this is the least expensive Vista that I have found that wasn't a complete rust bucket. There is a Vista available here local that the husband and I looked at going for $12500. It seats felt like an old timey spring mattress, the second row bench seat didn't have latches to lock it into place, no seat belts, instrument panel didn't light, dome lights gone. I found a couple listings in CA, but they were $19000 - $29000. What price range are you seeing in your area for a decent, non-restored car?
Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

What price range are you seeing in your area for a decent, non-restored car?
Thanks!
I live on the east coast. I don't waste my time looking at cars in my area - the all are rust buckets. I only buy cars from the desert southwest anymore. I far prefer original paint over a shiny repaint. At least then you know what's under it.

I like Searchtempest.com, which is a site that lets you search all the Craigslist sites across the country.
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Olds Collector

Joe: Great advice as usual and I agree with you. Dixon: To me this car is a mess because of all the changes. You indicate you want to put the car back to original style. The rear 1/4s had the lower wood trim holes filled in as well as the rocker molding below the doors. You don't know if they were bondoed or welded. I see some over spray I think on the front fenders where the hood closes which looks tacky if what I see is right. I think add on power vents will be more trouble than they are worth. They are too easy to use with the crank. The power lock switch looks to me to be in the wrong location. The part of the hood between the grills looks to be bent rearward. The base of the front seat seems too flat to me and not the right fluff in the roll between seams. I like green wagons myself and agree with the idea to return it to stock, so I question their color choice, so think this was a flipper and you wonder about other choices you can't see. My taste would also get a stock hood and correct air cleaner, carb which solves the need for OAI air cleaner to make air intake correct. I do suggest contacting a local Oldsmobile Club of America chapter member to look the car over. I hope you are a member. I do think $19k - $29K are likely overpriced wagons. A 72 Vista wagon just sold out here in CA for $6500 and it was a rare factory orange color the sienna interior. I had one that color and it was striking. The orange car sat on the Craigs ad for a while before it sold. It was just an auto air car without many options; however, it was good looking as is and did not need restoration. It looked original. I might suggest you keep looking for a better car and use a local Olds member to check it out if you can't. Best of luck with a Vista purchase.
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM

IMHO

There are nicer ones out there for less $$$

A little while ago Rob ask and had 50 or so people found for him

Check out this older thread

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ser-wagon.html
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Olds Collector

James, I agree. Rob started to look in 2010 and is very specific and has not yet bought a wagon. Seven years and no wagon is a long time to wait. Site members found quite a few nice wagons for him for sure. I think if dixon looks around a better deal is out there. It is likely better to be flexible about color and options and go for the deal, no rust, good condition when that car surfaces for a decent price. I wish dixon the best. BTW: where are you dixon? This will help the membership direct you for a deal. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:42 PM

I agree, My 69 came from a guy that restores Facel Vegas in [duh] Californ-i-a

It has buckets, center console, 15"' SS II, third seat, trailer hitch, tilt wheel tic toc tach and a 455 with a/c

AND a "tiger ii the tank"
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Looks like i am a bit late for this discussion! The advice given above is worth its weight in gold. With a restored/refurbished vehicle, yes indeed, it may look wonderful outside, colors notwithstanding, but something that may be of help when you are getting a vehicle like this is to ask if there is a documented picture album/story behind the car. This way you get to see the before, progress, finishing, and after of the car you are interested in. Generally folks who have a real heart in the car and hobby will only be too proud to share this with you, and of course give you a copy at least of the album if you get the car. Pictures will show the true story behind the car indeed. On C/O you can find many who have documented their builds on the forum with pictures and story, and others, as I, have old fashioned paper albums and You Tube movies chronicling the story. The car that is the subject of this thread really needs a lot of questions answered to justify what is seen aside from shiny paint.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:31 AM
KVP

If you're still looking for a VC, there's a low mileage one owner 1970 for sale on the Grand Rapids, Michigan Craig's List.
Old July 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Olds Collector

Three Vistas on ebay now: 1970 Gold no reserve, rare dirty cloth interior, but no air conditioning, Canada car; 1972 350 gold white interior, nice colors, air, two seats, tilt, few interior photos, asking $15.5K no bids yet, Ohio local pickup only; 1972 350 bittersweet two tone with a white top, brown interior, nice front seat but limited interior photos so can't confirm full power windows, says power windows, air, extra parts, two tones are rare and a nice color combination, asking $15,000 and taking offers Wisconsin. FYI. With two cars at the same price range of $15K and no sales, they seem a little pricey. Best of luck. Trent in Los Angeles
Old July 15th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately the OP was looking for a big block car loaded with options for $10K.
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Olds Collector

Loaded Vista Cruiser wanted

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately the OP was looking for a big block car loaded with options for $10K.
Yes, this is true and will be hard to find. With time all types of deals may surface. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles